Wheel locks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: hone eagle
Remember "locks only keep honest men out"

The purpose of a lock is to make the other guys stuff look like a better target than yours.

You don't have to be able to run faster than a bear to get away from it, you just have to be able to run faster then the other person you are with.

Originally Posted By: hone eagle
Keyed lugs will slow down a prepared thief about a nano sec

I did away with the ones on my 92 Grand Am. I was pleased my 02 Cavalier didn't come with them. My 77 truck never had them either. It just set most of 6 days in an airport long term lot.

Eh, you can just take the entire wheel and tire off by undoing some of the brake components if you have the extra bit of time it would take to do that (and no, I'm not going through the process, but boy, my auto shop teacher sure was cool). If they really want them and have the time, they will get them either way I suppose.

That being said, I have Gorilla spline drives on my Mustang (were bought with my expensive wheels way back when) and on my truck. My truck had a case of loose lug nuts and the wheel coming off while driving after a problem with the a-hole downstairs.

I have some aftermarket Gorilla locks. They're made with spinning collars so someone trying an EZ-out/wheel lock remover will just spin the collars.

I torque my own lugnuts with a Snap-On digital torque wrench. I KNOW they're not loose. I've come out to find 2 lugnuts missing before. They tried to steal the wheels and were stopped when they couldn't get the lock off.

Max

Originally Posted By: rationull
I think you guys have scared me enough to leave them on, and even to debate getting locks for my car's wheels!

Just being good BTOGers and trying to scare the senses in you!
At least if someone does try and or succeeds stealing the rims/tires you will have been glad you at least put up a fight.......
cheers3.gif

Last edited:
I had two tires put on in October by Costco. It looks like they used an impact gun on the locks. I will be switching the regular lug nuts on when I get second set of tires.

I will then put the locks on after the tires are put on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back