Are wheel locks useless? NO. They do deter, but perhaps not for the reason we think...

The previous owner of my Genesis put wheel locks on, but the originals are still in the package in the trunk. I might just put the originals back on at this point, the wheels are 6 years old and the clearcoat isn't the best.

When we bought our Santa Fe, it had locks on it, as well as the original lugs in the storage cubby.
The night we got it home, the locks came off and regular lugs went on.

Of course. But that's not the route this particular customer took...

As for a thief not trying to get all the locks off, I'd say you're right. They'll just steal the vehicle instead.
Or worse. They would make you wish only your wheels were stolen instead of entire vehicle being trashed.

So, in short, I removed all 4 wheel locks in about 10 minutes which is not bad. I used a total four 3/4" 12-pt sockets, I can try to hammer away the wheel locks to recover the socket but why bother?

Throw them in a vice, use a hammer plus punch(or an improvised one) and reclaim your sockets. The sockets themselves usually don't take much damage from hammering them on in my experience. After only four locks w/ the same socket, mine only shows a minor wear mark for example. I would at least save the sockets for the next time you encounter wheel locks.

Yes, the McGard wheel lock key also broke--they don't seem to be able to handle even moderate amounts of torque before cracking.

I have McGard keys/locks that are 30 years old and still in good shape. Corrosion isn't a big factor down here though. I usually see people strip out the key or locks by not seating them properly before turning their "1,000 ft-lb" impact wrench loose on them.

I ended up "stranded" at home in my departed Jetta TDI Sportwagen - I picked it up as a VW CPO from a VW dealer and they sent me on my way with it without a key. Found out the hard way ~8 months later when I came out to a flat tire, removed the decorative lug bolt covers and bam there is a wheel lock but no key in the glovebox or spare tire well.

Still had the CPO roadside assistance so VW sent out a third party saying they should have the tools to remove the lock to at least get the spare on. Roadside tech comes out and breaks out a universal lock removal kit, takes one look at the lock and says nope. Tells me the locks that VW/Audi use can only be removed by dealers and universal key kits don't work with those locks. Ended up flat bedded to the dealer and I think paid $35-40 to have all 4 removed and replaced with regular lug bolts, because I didn't have it towed to selling dealer (20+ miles away) I was on the hook and had to seek reimbursement from selling dealer for not providing the key.

I don't think wheel theft is really a thing much anymore so I'm not worried one bit about not having locking lugs, yeah I am sure wheel theft still happens but prob not as bad as it was back in lets say the 90's.

My Juke being the Nismo version did have them included as a dealer add-on I think. Imagine the reasoning behind them then was the OEM cost for that particular wheel type was a bit over $500 each. Yes value/demand certainly fades with time, but is what it is. I've taken the wheels off quite a few times as well as it being done for usual service work and there's never been a single problem using the key to remove them. Only actual issue I've had is when the guys at the Sears Auto center were rotating the tires and misplaced the key. I looked through the entire car even with the service manager looking to be sure it wasn't tossed in somewhere after the work was done. He was just about at the point of ordering a new set of lug nuts, at their loss of course, when I spotted the key laying out in the parking lot. Apparently the service tech left it on top of the car when he pulled it around for me to leave. Any time I have work done I always make sure the key is with me before leaving after that fiasco.

Wheel locks are great for rear mounted spare tires which still have a massive problem with theft since they’re often a regular alloy wheels and they’re right out there in the open so easy to steal. When I lived in NY and parked on the street I had zero wheel locks on the wheels attached to the hubs and three wheel locks attached to the wheel hanging off the back. Now I live in a gated community in North Scottsdale and our spare tires are mounted under the trunk/bed so obviously a moot point.

Last edited:
Inspection??? If it rolls it sells. At least in my experience. Even new cars. Dealer pre-delivery inspection. Its new, why check anything???
The "dealer" next to where my car is getting fixed at least APPEARS to look at the cars in the garage and drive them up/down street.

While purchasing a new vehicle I saw a $99.00 charge for wheel locks on the invoice. Dealer says it because te have wheel thefts. I told him I get it but the car is going to a nice safe place and I don't want them. He took them and the charge off.

Remember that thieves are not always after the wheels. Tires can be expensive too. I used to think my stock steelies were safe until a neighbor alerted me of this.

I had them on a Toyota I owned years ago and had trouble because of a tire shop over torqueing the **** thing. Wound up sacrificing a 19mm socket to get it off. So off they came. The only time we use them is on the spare on a Jeep Wrangler, too easy to steal otherwise.

When I lived right in the city of Syracuse 5-6 years ago there was a ring running around and stealing Honda wheels. All the local Honda dealers got hit at least once. One of my neighbors got a new Fit, had the wheels stolen within a week. Insurance paid for another set and those lasted a month or so before they were stolen. After the 2nd set of stolen wheels it got steel wheels and didn't have any more stolen wheels!

I have to imagine the people stealing wheels on a large scale are equipped with everything needed to get the locking lugnuts off.

My Jeep, up until yesterday, was fitted with a set of OE lugnuts. They would always split and breakk then round off. Effectively the same!

I never use wheel locks I hare them. Sam’s broke my friends stud off trying to put one back on with the key and an impact and a boat load of anti seize. They would not pay for it because they claimed it was faulty when it came in I told him he shouldn’t let it go but he did. What’s worse is when the key is gone luckily we have a set of these tools at work to help with this because most of the time the customer has no clue where the key is. My former place of employment always kept the keys which is another reason I left there.

• Wow
Reactions: 4WD
Back