Wheel bearing and hub assembly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like my front passenger wheel hub is going and needs to be replaced.
2009 Silverado 1500 4x4 Z71 62000 miles.

What's recommended or suggested?

Replace in pairs or only bad one? I ask cause I've seen both mentioned.
A.) If one failed the other will likely fail soon, just do them both.
B.) There's no time or reason on when they will fail, your wasting good life on a good hub replacing it early...replace only the bad one.

Go with Timken or?

Thanks

Last edited:
I don't see any reason to replace the other one now unless it's bad. The other one might fail in short time or last another 5 years. It's not a headlight bulb.

It's too hard to pick a brand, I prefer to have non China sourced parted though. Timken is a good choice overall.

Bearings go bad but i've never heard of a hub fail..But to answer your question I'd do both sides because if one is failing the other one wont be too far behind, and, I really hate doing a job and then going back to that area to do other stuff that should have been done first time round..

Does Spicer make one? 5 yrs and only 62 K, that isnt very good. Whatchu been doing?
grin2.gif

11 Minutes later and we have both suggestions. These are sealed units so regardless of what exactly is going bad, the entire hub gets replaced. There is no noise that I noticed, but the dealership pointed it out that there was some play in the wheel on the hub.

I imagine the biggest factor is the [censored] city roads where I work and live and drive around a lot. No office job here.

It's an easy 1 hour job. I only replace 1 side at a time and I buy the $60 one's on ebay. They have lasted over 100K easy.

Are you out of your powertrain warranty?

Not sure if maybe you got a few months left. Usually wheel bearings on GMs are powertrain. Just a thought.

If SKF recommends to replace both at the same time, then i would probably change my answer to change both, but only provided you have the time and money to do both. Not everyone can afford to replace parts that aren't bad yet, and sometimes budget comes into play.

You should always do both at the same time. Dont cheap out and then set yourself up for failure later on down the road. As for brand, I would say whatever looks good on Rock auto!
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Chris142
i only do one at a time. did one on the wifes tahoe at 114k,other side is still ok at 140k. i used an skf bearing.

If it isn't broke...don't replace it. Hub bearings aren't cheap. My previous truck went thru 3 bearings on the left front. When I sold it at 250k the right front still had the original bearing.

Originally Posted By: Warstud

If it isn't broke...don't replace it. Hub bearings aren't cheap.

I agree. As for brand, either Timken or SKF, whichever is less expensive.

Originally Posted By: redhat

Not sure if maybe you got a few months left. Usually wheel bearings on GMs are powertrain. Just a thought.

This post may be for naught. I did not think for a second that would be covered under the power train warranty. Will see if I'm in for an up hill battle, SOL, or I get taken care of.

My PT warranty expired 7-31-14. Before it expired, I took the truck in for a TBS on oil consumption and while they were doing the repair they must have done an inspection because when I picked up the truck they had 2 "service Pricing Quotes" for repairs. One of those is for the Hub and bearing assembly and the other is for leaking transmission cooler lines.

So here I sit with a dealer labeled and dated price quote for repairing the wheel hub for $632.13 showing they found it needing to be replaced prior to my warranty expiring. They never asked about my warranty or mentioned that it was covered under warranty.

Last edited:
At work we've got a fleet of GM Express/Savana vans - Power-train warranty has covered 3 hub bearing replacements. It's worth a shot. All they can say is no.

Yes! I believe I found it:

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2009/09/gm-downsizes-100000-mile5-year-warranty/

I knew hubs and bearings USED to be covered. Looks in in 2010 GM took out hubs and bearings but for all previous MYs (2007-2009) they are to be covered.

Your dealer probably doesn't know or the service manager is probably trying to gravy his potatoes. I'd fight all the way fro this. After getting screwed around so much on the Impala transmission, I have become very bitter to each and every dealer and now have come to find that results come from being a RUTHLESS SOB.

Last edited:
Call the service manager talk to him about it.

in other news you can guess what parts GM was replacing alot of... they just exclude them now
smirk.gif

I think you have a good case for getting it covered.

If they balk. call the dealership owner.

then escalate to GM if needed.

It would be worth pulling a few chains to me for 600$

Originally Posted By: Scott_mi
Originally Posted By: redhat

This post may be for naught. I did not think for a second that would be covered under the power train warranty. Will see if I'm in for an up hill battle, SOL, or I get taken care of.

My PT warranty expired 7-31-14. Before it expired, I took the truck in for a TBS on oil consumption and while they were doing the repair they must have done an inspection because when I picked up the truck they had 2 "service Pricing Quotes" for repairs. One of those is for the Hub and bearing assembly and the other is for leaking transmission cooler lines.

So here I sit with a dealer labeled and dated price quote for repairing the wheel hub for $632.13 showing they found it needing to be replaced prior to my warranty expiring. They never asked about my warranty or mentioned that it was covered under warranty.

Last edited:
Replace the one bearing and leave the other alone. As others have reported, I've replaced the unit bearing has been replaced twice on the front driver side of my Explorer, while the passenger side soldiers on just fine.

As for brands, OEM, Timken, or SKF. No order...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back