what's your opinion on auxiliary fuel tanks that go in the bed of a truck?

I hear lots of reports about them leaking. Also, Imo I'd think you would get water contamination from the fuel nozzle and rain water. Opinions? I think they should be set on a rubber mat and strapped into the bed vs bolted because then it just twists and flexes along with the rest of the truck bed.

They’re very popular with the hotshot/RV diesel haulers (western haulers & dually 5th wheel/gooseneck) because they double or triple fuel capacity & can save a LOT of money on fuel by allowing them to buy it at low prices, bypassing higher cost fuel.

If you drive a lot, especially between high and low gas price areas it may make sense. If you don't, the fuel may go bad or get moisture. Once I bought a truck with a 30 gallon second tank, but seeing how I wouldn't drive it much, I took it off and sold it.

Have the saddle tanks on my Silverado.
1699665140216.jpg

The in-bed diesel tank mod is often done with a cylindrical aluminum tank made for a semi truck. Those are quite robust and obviously OK with being rained on.

The in-bed diesel tank mod is often done with a cylindrical aluminum tank made for a semi truck. Those are quite robust and obviously OK with being rained on.
I was talking about the nozzles, the way some people just lay them in the bed etc

You gotta make sure the one you get is actually not going to rust. I have seen many get moisture in them and have rust all over the sides on the inside.

Some are just for field use like with a nozzle like you are using. And some are to feed gravity fuel into you oem tank. Seen a few repurposed semi ones

Had one in the back of a work truck for about 13 years now. WeatherGuard brand. We hardwired it to the truck battery directly and it had a 25 foot hose with swivels at the pump and nozzle. Used a Fill Rite 20GPM pump with a meter and huge fuel filter. The tank was rated to hold 100 gallons but I could force almost 120 gallons in if I parked on a slope when fueling the tank. Pumped thousands of gallons filling construction equipment on small jobs. Never had any issues with it leaking. It’s still on the same truck today.

Is there a reliable way to plumb them in? Some of the “taps” I’ve seen are a little janky.
There are kits for specific makes. It involves a hose from the tank to the OEM filler neck. There’s a check ball that prevents overfilling. There are also solenoid options.

Just my $0.02

You gotta make sure the one you get is actually not going to rust. I have seen many get moisture in them and have rust all over the sides on the inside.

Some are just for field use like with a nozzle like you are using. And some are to feed gravity fuel into you oem tank. Seen a few repurposed semi ones

Many of the new DOT approved ones are aluminum. There are several companies out there that make them.

Just my $0.02

I hear lots of reports about them leaking. Also, Imo I'd think you would get water contamination from the fuel nozzle and rain water. Opinions? I think they should be set on a rubber mat and strapped into the bed vs bolted because then it just twists and flexes along with the rest of the truck bed.
The DOT approved ones get bolted to the bed with mounting kits that include spring style nuts.

Don’t forget get diesel engines have much better filtration than gasoline engines.

Just my $0.02

Had one in the back of a work truck for about 13 years now. WeatherGuard brand. We hardwired it to the truck battery directly and it had a 25 foot hose with swivels at the pump and nozzle. Used a Fill Rite 20GPM pump with a meter and huge fuel filter. The tank was rated to hold 100 gallons but I could force almost 120 gallons in if I parked on a slope when fueling the tank. Pumped thousands of gallons filling construction equipment on small jobs. Never had any issues with it leaking. It’s still on the same truck today.
One I have is supposed to be 100 gallons but only holds 90.
A bit annoying as my track loader holds more than that.

Back