What’s your favorite weed and grass killer spray concentrate?

I’m in Northern California and just wondering what all yall here like to use to kill weeds. I’ve been using Spectracide Weed and Grass killer from Home Depot. I buy the 32oz concentrate bottle and mix it in a gallon pump/spray bottle. Anything better/cheaper? Please chime in.
IMG_3757.jpeg

I have the hf version of this.. if you are a pyro at all you might giggle a little bit inside.
sounds like a hot air balloon.. WHOOOOSH.
1713488864531.jpg

It will also frost over a 20lb propane tank fast..
I keep my propane on a dolly if I'm doing a bunch.

I look at the ingredient list, there's always something cheaper than the big name brand. Last summer I got some ACE weed and grass killer same ingredients and % as spectracide for quite a bit less on a sale.

@Rand Don't the weeds come back after the flamethrower?

Aren't they all chemically the same ? They contain glyphosphate and there's no reason to add anything else. Whether you buy a brand-name version from Lowes or store-brand from TSC or Ace Hardware, it's all the same.

I will say, every time I use a weed killer, I swear, it makes the weeds stronger and rarely kills 'em ! I just use glyphosphate now and am careful spraying it so I don't hit any grass, flowers, etc that I don't want to kill. Two days ago I sprayed a bunch of the prickly weeds where 5-6 popped up in a 2' square area and saw them withering this morning.... and grinned....

IFA, a farm and store chain here in Northern Utah, has a leaflet that they post by the weed killers. The leaflet has a recipe for "Killing Hard-to-Kill Weeds in Non-Turf Areas".

For each gallon of water:

1 oz spreader sticker/wetting agent.
2 oz. 2, 4-D.
3 oz. glyphosate.

For the 2, 4-D, I use MEC Amine-D, from Loveland. It has a couple extra active ingredients, in addition to the 2, 4-D acid.
I'm not particular about the glyphosate, as long as it is 41%.
For the spreader sticker/wetting agent, I use either the recommended IFA product or Hi-Yield Spreader Sticker.

I've been pretty happy with the results.

I add a drop of soap in any weed/grasskiller mix.
Had to look that up. Apparently you want to use a non-ionic dish soap and not all are. Something about the wrong kind of soap formula can interfere with the chemicals in the weed killer. Dawn soap seems to be non-ionic. We happen to use Dawn so might as well try it. How do you tell if it does anything different?

If you just want to kill weeds and not grass get some Trimec with crabgrass killer. Use some non ionic soap with it, not dishsoap.
From what I can tell from the labels, Trimec has the same three active ingredients as MEC Amine-D.

For weed control on the lawn, I use the MEC Amine-D with a surfactant.

Had to look that up. Apparently you want to use a non-ionic dish soap and not all are. Something about the wrong kind of soap formula can interfere with the chemicals in the weed killer. Dawn soap seems to be non-ionic. We happen to use Dawn so might as well try it. How do you tell if it does anything different?
I don't know if its better, it seems to stick better, i've noticed that some weeds seem repellant, and the spray rolls off like the plant is waxed, the soap seems to help with that. Dawn is what i use also.

The weeds should start It should start dying sooner, and be better dead. If I understand correctly, a surfactant makes it easier for the weed killer to absorb into the plant.

I’m in Northern California and just wondering what all yall here like to use to kill weeds. I’ve been using Spectracide Weed and Grass killer from Home Depot. I buy the 32oz concentrate bottle and mix it in a gallon pump/spray bottle. Anything better/cheaper? Please chime in.View attachment 214896
I've been using that for the last three years . Six ounces per gal. of water .

73.3% glyphosate and 2.9% of Diquat. Nothing else comes close IMO.

Back