Any weed experts out there?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I replanted the side yard last fall with Lesco sun and shade mixture from Home Depot. A combination of fescue, perennial rye, and bluegrass. A standard northern climate mix. It's grown in nicely. But there is something different going on. It grows slower than other established parts of the lawn. The established grass is growing twice as fast. At first I thought maybe it was the type of seed but now I'm wondering if my lawn is full of a weed called nutsedge. Attached are some pics. It's taller and lighter green. Is that nutsedge? If it is how do I get rid of it? Regular weed and feeds do nothing.

Attachments

• 20210831_071828.jpg
    20210831_071828.jpg
    375.9 KB · Views: 38
  • 20210831_071756.jpg
    20210831_071756.jpg
    224.6 KB · Views: 38
  • 20210831_072239.jpg
    20210831_072239.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 39
Image sells a specific Nutsedge post-emergent that should do the trick. It's late in the year now so I wouldn't fool with it. There is no beneficial pre-emergent to keep it from greening up next spring so be ready to hit it with a post-emergent herbicide when you first see it next spring.

For larger clumps you can simply pull it up.

Weeds vary quite a bit by region, but I can guarantee that is not nutsedge....at least not the kind of nutsedge we have in Virginia. Do you have an extension office nearby? Take a few samples in there and guys that are familiar with weeds in your area can probably tell you exactly what it is and how to treat it.

Yep, I'd say that's nutsedge or some kind of sedge. The problem is, that since it is a type of grass it will be VERY difficult to stop. Try what FowVay said.

Soapbox time, just spraying or applying pesticides without even knowing exactly what you are trying to kill is 1. wasteful - you are not going to kill it, you may as well throw your money down the toilet. 2. Irresponsible - this earth ain't getting any cleaner and cancers and autism are more prevalent now because of crap like pesticides.

Please get someone LOCAL that can identify this. If you have a local store that sells herbicides (NOT LOWES OR HOME DEPOT) and has a trained staff, walk in there with this weed and they will 1. tell you what it is. 2. will give you the correct herbicide to control this weed.

Most likely nutsedge 😡
Never use weed and feed, ever

Last edited:
Looks like nutsedge. The good news is, regular grass grows better & thicker in cool weather, and should start to crowd the nutsedge out, at least it does in my yard.

Why not ?
It makes no sense. You are spreading weed control products on your whole lawn, when it is not needed. Also weed and feeds are very tricky to get to work properly. The grass needs to be wet, so the weed and feed can stick to it.

I would much rather use a post-emergent weed control in a hand can that is made to kill the weed(s) that need to be killed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back