Whats your favorite custom part about cars?

I found that camshaft profiles are interesting, as well as tire tread design.
To design a cam for different uses, as well as tires, is super interesting to me.

Raining at the 24 hours of LeMan? I'm gonna design the perfect rain tire for your team. Seems so cool...

Way back when there were always lots of fun ways to customize a British sports car.

MG.jpg

Wheels…. I see nice cars daily that the wheels just don’t do it justice. I saw a video of Chip Foose designing and building a set of wheels, amazing talent. My son just bought a new TRD Pro Forerunner with nice suspension upgrade, painted calipers, nice TRD Pro badging etc….. with flat black wheels. I didn’t mention it to him but the wheels ruined the look for me.

Then the OP will love cylinder deactivation!

Define 'custom'. How 'bout 'unique' to cars / engines / accessories?
Geared oil pumps outputting for zillions of miles is irrefutably cool.

A Dutch maiden fender ornament, Ja' kuhl!

Wheels are always a safe bet, and are generally lighter than stock. I opted for Forgeline SC1 Monoblocks, and I’ve been happy with them. Very strong annd about 5 pounds lighter than stock. I wasn’t expecting to feel any difference, but it sure did. Acceleration is quicker from a stop as well as braking. No placebo affect here. After about 15,000 miles I swapped the wheels off and reinstalled the originals so I could clean up the Forgelines. I was shocked at what a difference it made to go back to the stock wheels. Felt like I was driving with the brakes on.
23BB4526-5F2A-4C1E-A3B8-610D499739C4.jpeg

Wheels…. I see nice cars daily that the wheels just don’t do it justice. I saw a video of Chip Foose designing and building a set of wheels, amazing talent. My son just bought a new TRD Pro Forerunner with nice suspension upgrade, painted calipers, nice TRD Pro badging etc….. with flat black wheels. I didn’t mention it to him but the wheels ruined the look for me.
Wheels are a tired subject in many treads 😷

I found that camshaft profiles are interesting, as well as tire tread design.
To design a cam for different uses, as well as tires, is super interesting to me.

Raining at the 24 hours of LeMan? I'm gonna design the perfect rain tire for your team. Seems so cool...
When CART was still around I got to chat with a mechanic in the pits. Engineers even design tire compounds for each of the circuits that Nascar, F1, and others race.

Back