What's your factory carry ammo, and why?

Browning Hollow point .380 because they have a cross where the hollow point is. Winter I use SIG Sauer FMJ 100gr in Glock42 with tungsten spring and polished internals.

5.56 is Winchester Q3131 or Federal XM193. .40 is Winchester Ranger bonded 165 grain. 9mm is Winchester Ranger 147 grain.

Hi everybody. For those of you who carry factory self defense ammo, what are you carrying, and why did you decide on it?

Some years back when I decided to carry a handgun concealed, I asked a Phoenix cop at the time, what type of service ammo the department provided them with. (I was living in Glendale at the time).

He replied they carried Speer Gold Dot. So that is what I've carried ever since. I don't know if they have changed their carry ammo. And I no longer live in Glendale.

But my reasoning was if the cops carry it as their duty ammunition, I'm not going to get into trouble with some overzealous prosecutor if I happen to drop someone with it in self defense. If it's good enough for the cops to carry, it should be good enough for a citizen.... That, and it's good, accurate ammunition.

A while back when ammo was hard to get I managed to buy 8 (50 count) boxes from several different manufacturers and I have no idea what is loaded in my .380.
As long as it go's bang when needed ,I don't care.

An SP101?
I read your earlier post . A snub nose .38 S&W.
My friend's wife has a Colt Detective Special. She really likes it a lot and does very well with it at target practice.

My range instructor had the Colt DS as a back up gun. One day at the range he broke it out and made us shoot it. Not being a .38 fan, and not being attracted to short barreled revolvers I took convincing.
I have never had a gun that was so easy to shoot. The bullets just went to where you wanted them to go. Almost like you pointed your hand and didn't need to aim.
I looked for one for over 10 years (admittedly not in ernest). Finally found one 2 years ago. Now I need ammo.

My range instructor had the Colt DS as a back up gun. One day at the range he broke it out and made us shoot it. Not being a .38 fan, and not being attracted to short barreled revolvers I took convincing.
I have never had a gun that was so easy to shoot. The bullets just went to where you wanted them to go. Almost like you pointed your hand and didn't need to aim.
I looked for one for over 10 years (admittedly not in ernest). Finally found one 2 years ago. Now I need ammo.

1651842558656.jpg
Here is my favorite car ammo, but I have a hard time fitting it in my car. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

I’m a fan of the Hornady Critical Defense line for my 9mm carry. 135 +p. My AR usually has Speer Gold Dot in it and my shotgun has really anything. Federal, Hornady, Winchester defender.

M855a1 (5.56 NATO): because it is issued... it does kick a tiny bit harder, and we got some warnings about higher chamber pressures and the importance of PMCS etc. Ejection is positive. It's all relatively new, so it's in great shape. Shoots flat and straight enough for me to hit 30+ silhouettes each go. FWIW we also are using a new MOA zero. (Downside: "FLIPL" for unaccounted for rounds we are told is $4.00 each 😲. I guess that factors in logistics and development costs IDK)

M855A1 Enhanced Performance Round | Military.com

m855a1-enhanced-performance-round-003.jpg

The M855A1, a 5.56 mm Ball ammunition, is an enhanced performance round for today’s combat and training environments. It works with the M4 Carbine, the M249 machine gun, and the H&K and M16A2 rifles. It is suitable for use in most weapons with a 1-in-7 barrel twist.

The M855A1 has a copper-jacketed steel core, differing from the previous M855 round which has a lead core. The so-called “green ammo” not only has increased penetration of armor and hard targets, but allows the Army to be more environmentally friendly on its ranges and training environments.

The M855A1 is optimized for the shorter-barrel M4 where the standard M855 was optimized for the M16. The powder burns faster and creates more pressure, and has the effect of reducing flash. The round yaws like the M855, but its yaw is more consistent and predictable, meaning its terminal effects are not yaw dependant.

The Army plans to replace its entire inventory of M855 rounds with the M855A1 round.

m855a1-enhanced-performance-round-001.jpg

In my .380 its FMJ , especially in winter. .380 i cant see having a through and through shot, and i worry that an expanding round wont penetrate in this caliber, especially in heavy clothing. In 9mm i have Corbon powerball 100grain, 1475fps, muzzle energy 483lbs. Should expand no matter what it hits.

Last edited:
Mostly I just carry a a ruger LCP .22. I use Federal Punch.

Any number of Youtubes confirm its the best.
When with the wife I carry a 9mm

Mostly I just carry a a ruger LCP .22. I use Federal Punch.

Any number of Youtubes confirm its the best.
When with the wife I carry a 9mm

Do they make a hollow point version of the Federal Punch?

KE calculations.

Punch ... 26.9% more KE over the Viper.

1659609860646.jpg

Viper

1659609880648.jpg

9mm=147gr Gold Dot G2, HST, or 124gr Gold Dot.
357SIG=Texas DPS load Gold Dot.
5.56=75gr Gold Dot or 70gr Brown Tip.
12ga=LE133 buckshot or LE127RS Hydrashok LR slug, depending on the range, have the buck in the tube and slug on shot card side saddle.

I tend to stick with tried and true things that work, and that also function well/accurately in my weapons. I am not about reinventing the wheel when a major agency or mil branch has already done all of the homework.

M855a1 (5.56 NATO): because it is issued... it does kick a tiny bit harder, and we got some warnings about higher chamber pressures and the importance of PMCS etc. Ejection is positive. It's all relatively new, so it's in great shape. Shoots flat and straight enough for me to hit 30+ silhouettes each go. FWIW we also are using a new MOA zero. (Downside: "FLIPL" for unaccounted for rounds we are told is $4.00 each 😲. I guess that factors in logistics and development costs IDK)

M855A1 Enhanced Performance Round | Military.com

m855a1-enhanced-performance-round-003.jpg

The M855A1, a 5.56 mm Ball ammunition, is an enhanced performance round for today’s combat and training environments. It works with the M4 Carbine, the M249 machine gun, and the H&K and M16A2 rifles. It is suitable for use in most weapons with a 1-in-7 barrel twist.

The M855A1 has a copper-jacketed steel core, differing from the previous M855 round which has a lead core. The so-called “green ammo” not only has increased penetration of armor and hard targets, but allows the Army to be more environmentally friendly on its ranges and training environments.

The M855A1 is optimized for the shorter-barrel M4 where the standard M855 was optimized for the M16. The powder burns faster and creates more pressure, and has the effect of reducing flash. The round yaws like the M855, but its yaw is more consistent and predictable, meaning its terminal effects are not yaw dependant.

The Army plans to replace its entire inventory of M855 rounds with the M855A1 round.

m855a1-enhanced-performance-round-001.jpg
I tried A1 and found it very inaccurate, at least the ammo I had. Velocity was VERY consistent, but I was averaging about 3.5moa out of a 1.5moa gun/shooter/optic combo. It sure messes stuff up that it hits, but the accuracy was offputting. I stuck with 75gr Gold Dot and 70gr Browntip for this reason, as both do better than 2moa from a decent platform.

Back