What's your break-in procedure on a new car

Status
Not open for further replies.
Granted tolerances, etc have been tighter.....what's your break in procedure for a new car.

I'm thinking I'll just run the factory fill for 500 miles, and then dump to a okay decent oil. Run that till 3K, and then just use the good stuff with regular OCI.

Diffys and stuff....TBD....

Sounds like a good plan. Exactly what I do. I'm sure there are tons of opinions on this one!

I have a 2007 Civic LX. I ran with the factory fill until 1500 miles and then converted to Amsoil 0W-20 with an EAO13 oil filter. I only drive about 6000 miles per year, so I will most likely perform 6 month OCI's for the first couple of years and then use UOA's to extend out. My goal is to use one year OCI's, or shorter if the oil life meter indicates that I need to drain. This is due to warranty issues.

mfisher1967,

My break-in procedure is to use conventional oil for 1 year and then change over to synthetic oil. This way you well into/past the typical period and for sure the switch is safe. Personally I like Mobil 1 myself. Since you only do 6K per year I'd change it at least change my oil based on months instead of miles.

Durango

im on my 4th new vehicle and ive dumped all the factory fills early. 800 miles on this one then again at 2500 and 4500. im going to synthetic at the next change of 5500.

Drive with a lighter-than-normal foot for the first 1K.

Change the factory-fill to synthetic at 3K. Use sub-$5 filters. It's all you need for a long-long engine life.

Live happily ever after... both you & your ride.
cheers.gif

500 miles, dump oil.
3000 miles.
7000 miles
10000 miles
............5000mi OCIs thereafter

I change my rear diff @ 10K, at least check it.
I change my tranny at 15K or 30K, depending on condition.
Inspect fluids during break in.
Drive sanely for first 1000 mi, slowly give it more goose until 3000mi, then enjoy the car from 3000 to whenever but still always have mechanical sympathy.
crushedcar.gif

Vary engine speed. Try not to keep the rpms at the same point for the first 500 miles. Do not lug the engine (do not drive below 2000 rpm for 4 cyl or about 1600 rpm for big engines - down shift for acceleration). Use synthetic after 3000 miles.

Vary speed. Don't lug. Engine break with a stick. don't use high RPMs for 1k or so. Drive it a little harder than normal after it doesn't feel loose at higher rpm. Change at 2-3k. My feeling is that anything left in the motor that can cause a problem would be able to do that in the first 500 miles and the filter should catch anything dangerous. Might as well change after you put it through it's paces to get it really broken in and then get on a normal cycle.

Last edited:
Quote:

mfisher1967,

My break-in procedure is to use conventional oil for 1 year and then change over to synthetic oil. This way you well into/past the typical period and for sure the switch is safe. Personally I like Mobil 1 myself. Since you only do 6K per year I'd change it at least change my oil based on months instead of miles.

Durango

No disrespect intended, but what is unsafe about converting to synthetic when draining the factory fill? Amsoil, Mobil 1, Royal Purple and others clearly state that synthetics can be safely used when performing the first drain on a new vehicle. Why not go for the extra protection that synthetic oil affords as early as possible? I realize that it costs more to do so, but if you take away that concern what risk is there?

Quote:

Granted tolerances, etc have been tighter.....what's your break in procedure for a new car.

I'm thinking I'll just run the factory fill for 500 miles, and then dump to a okay decent oil. Run that till 3K, and then just use the good stuff with regular OCI.

Diffys and stuff....TBD....

I would do a drain and fill on FF motor oil at 5k just like I would leave full syn in a Severe category for 5k. Some will say 3k is the safest in Severe application with lot of short and medium trips but I beg to defer. Actually my MMS is on track for a sub 4500 mile OCI so its right on track and its setup for regular dino!

Run factory fill until OLM calls for a service or until the first scheduled interval for "normal" service. Then service normally with required oil and filter.

Drive like you normally would, if you're normal driver. If you drive kind of hard, take it easy. If it's for an old lady, mom's new car...spank it for her.

I'm done with FF oil by 1500-2500 miles, but keep with dino at 5000 miles (2 months for me) for 2 changes until finally running synth starting around 10-12k at 7500 miles intervals. By the time the first synth fill is dumped, the car has 20k.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back