What's this crunchy crud?

I say this with no evidence whatsoever, but I really dislike filters with 5 inlet holes. A lot have 8+, so I wonder if pressure built up due to insufficient inlet capacity and forced a bit of oil past the gasket to form that crud..?

I say this with no evidence whatsoever, but I really dislike filters with 5 inlet holes. A lot have 8+, so I wonder if pressure built up due to insufficient inlet capacity and forced a bit of oil past the gasket to form that crud..?
Typically, I use a Fram Ultra, which has many holes. However, I have used the Mobil filter in the past, and never had this happen. Likely (hopefully), just a weird one time thing.

Ok here's my thought. Topic vehicle 06 MDX specs the narrower (but slightly longer) 7317 OF. Topic looks to be the 3593a/9688 application. That being the case, I think it's just a build up, combination environmental material and engine crud on the space between the sealing gasket and the filter outer edge. That area is exposed on topic filter.

The 7317 being narrower, less chance to catch the exterior crud outside the sealing gasket which is on the outer edge of the filter.
Never noticed before what you're pointing out - but yes, the 7317 gasket is right at the edge of the filter, whereas the 3593 has that grooved space where all the gunk has developed. Good point about the 7317 having less chance for the gunk to develop.

No. The filter is right beside the front right tire, mounted angled from vertical (maybe a bit less than halfway between horizontal and vertical). The day I did the oil / filter change we had deep snow and the area around the filter was packed with snow.

I’m leaning to dirt buildup then. The heat will cook any moisture away leaving that dried crud. Snow gets full of dirt and debris.

I’m wondering if this car started out with a splash shield from the factory and that got removed? There would be screw holes or push pin holes to verify that.

Reactions: rcy
Never noticed before what you're pointing out - but yes, the 7317 gasket is right at the edge of the filter, whereas the 3593 has that grooved space where all the gunk has developed. Good point about the 7317 having less chance for the gunk to develop.
Yes, starting 2001-03 Honda/(Acura) started the switch to the narrower 7317. Put something like the PSF mentioned in that grooved space and it would be like a magnetic for any debris in the area not to mention the gunk pulled in with the psf. Then add heat. The 7317 gasket right next to can outer seam.

Inlet hole number and size discussed from time to time here over the years. General thought with much agreement as long as total inlet hole area at least equal to area of mounting stud inner diameter, it's all good. Without measuring I'd bet topic filter inlet area at least that, or more. Doubt that hole number/size any factor here.

Reactions: rcy
I’m leaning to dirt buildup then. The heat will cook any moisture away leaving that dried crud. Snow gets full of dirt and debris.

I’m wondering if this car started out with a splash shield from the factory and that got removed? There would be screw holes or push pin holes to verify that.
The first gen (my 2006) and I think the second gen (2007 to 2013) didn't really have any shielding there. I'm always amazed when I change the filter how it's just sitting in plain view behind the wheel.

I also have a 2014 MDX (third gen), and it's in the same location, but there's a shield that sort of protects the filter a bit.

Pic 1 is 1st gen, pic 2 is third gen and you can see the plastic shield that the guy's hand is kind of reaching around. Not my cars, by the way, just pictures pilfered off of the internet.

Attachments

• Acura-MDX-Engine-Oil-Change-Filter-Replacement-Guide-011.JPG
    Acura-MDX-Engine-Oil-Change-Filter-Replacement-Guide-011.JPG
    75.7 KB · Views: 17
  • xCwKS2N.jpg
    xCwKS2N.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 17
Back