Where is the stop threshold regarding oil leaks?

Well, near 200K and over a decade on the 2.4L.. I noticed the oil pan was moist around edges, but far from dripping. a little research later it was reasonable enough to change, and very reasonably priced.

Apparently, there is some sort of technical service bulletin but basically the oil pan "can" leak out the oil which can cause the engine to turn off, which can increase the risk of a crash I guess....

41$ later for a OEM revised pan with build in baffles, drain plug/washer, and premium gasket maker plus a little bit of my time.. It also gave me an excuse to look at the bottom end of the 2.4L.. and yes, this is the original motor Vin matched to the vehicle, but it has been meticulously maintained as well. The proof is in the bottom end lol.

So personally, I would replace accessible seals without motor out, when that time comes for motor out, I am planning on a full rebuild...
Image.jpeg
IMG_4837.jpeg
IMG_4836.jpeg

My 1991 Toyota Previa with 200k does not leak much at all. The only seal I had to replace due to leaking was the distributor o-ring. Why does leaking rates vary so much across manufacturers? Seems a very simple design, o rings, gaskets, and ring seals.

Do you use oem seal parts?

Back