What's everyone's favorite hot sauce?

Depends on what it's for. For oysters it's regular Tabasco. For Mexican, it's Tapatio - especially good on Duritos with lime juice. All-around, it's Huy Fong Sriracha, although sometimes their Samba Oelek, which is more of a chili paste. And if I want to feel the pain, it's El Yucateco Kutbil-Ik.

I can see that folks have sophisticated hot sauce tastes... No one mentioned Louisiana Hot Sauce... It's not 'real special, to my way of thinking. I've had Cholula regular. Nice... Quite a bit more expensive than the Louisiana...

Marie Sharp's Smoked Habanero Hot Sauce

My favorite, but I do enjoy many other hot sauces as well.

Up at the 1000 Islands, NY for Pirate Weekend, we went into a local diner for breakfast and one of us tried hot sauce on their eggs. This sauce was called "ASS BLASTER" and believe me, it was...

If your ever in Cincinnati, go to Jungle Jim's International Market. They might have worlds largest selection of hot sauces. They even have an old USN fire truck as a prop in the hot sauce department. The only Seagrave that served in WWII known to still exist.

DSC_6381-Edit1-966x643.jpg

Most hot sauces are just peppers, vinegar, salt, and thickeners and are designed for heat over flavor. Which is why I make my own, using ripe juicy home grown Serrano peppers with vinegar, lime juice, tomato juice, garlic, cumin, salt & sugar. Medium hot but very tasty, so I can use more on a dish and enjoy the balance of flavor and heat without burning my hair off. I put up about a dozen pints a year, most of which I give to friends who love it.

Back