whats a really good wax for RED paint?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does it have a clear coat? If not, I will suggest NU-FINISH. If it has a clear coat and is oxidized you can try something from Meguiars professional line. Do you have a DA wax/polish power system? Or, will you be detailing by hand? If by hand I suggest a cleaner wax. If with a DA, I suggest a fine to medium compound. If the finish is very bad and has a clear coat, you could wet sand it, ONLY if you know how! When I used to detail on the weekends, I would pick and choose my jobs. I charged $60 an hour, 2 hour minimum. I would try to pick wet sand jobs because there is so much detail (HA, a pun) involved. And, the $$$$ is GREAT! I have had customers come to me with high $$$ cars that some idiot didn't know how to use a wool pad and the finish had HOLOGRAMS FROM HADES! If you feel comfortable doing the job yourself, go for it. If not, be prepared to pay up. And remember, you ALWAYS get what you pay for!

Originally Posted By: irv
Collinite 845 for everything.
grin.gif

Great, long lasting protection, UV protection plus a ton of other things it protects against.

It's all I ever use anymore.
http://www.collinite.com/automotive-wax/insulator-wax/

I've yet to find anything better...looks great, lasts a long time..

As with most automotive paint colors, the real trick is not in the type or brand of wax that you use on the car, but in the prep you put into it before you wax it. If your paint is flawed, scratched, swirled, etc.. then no wax is really going to look great.

However, if you take the time to fully clean, clay (if needed), compound (if needed), and polish the paint before you apply your coating, sealant, or wax, then just about any quality product is going to add to the pop.

Case in point - Here is a recent picture of my 2010 Fusion, which has over 249,000 miles on it:
24pxma1.jpg

When I bought this car, used, it was covered with spider-web swirls, light scratches, etc.. and looked absolutely terrible in the sun. I washed, clayed, washed, sprayed it down with Iron-X, washed, then did a full compound correction, then a polish, IPA wipe, and finally a thorough application of wax using my HF DA Orbital. That was a few years ago.

All that's on it in this picture is the spray wax that I put on after its latest wash - I used
Meguiars D156 - with whatever remains of the last coat of wax that was applied in November. I hit the car with a light spritz of Megs D156 after each wash, although I consider D156 to be best as a 'topper' and not really as a stand-alone 'proper' wax.

As far as good 'proper' wax to use - There have been many good ones mentioned so far. Among my favorites are:

Collinite 845
Finish Kare FK1000
Meguiars Ultimate

Meguiars Ultimate paste gives a nice initial finish but it does not hold up in the FL heat and humidity as neither do true carnuba waxes. That's why I switched to FK1000, same finish but holds up MUCH better on red and other colors. Only can be bought online and the parent company is owned by a Meguiar brother.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back