What's a good cheap 0w-20 for a 1.5 Turbo Honda?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all!

I just picked up a new car a few months back and I am approaching my first oil change. It's a lease so I still have enough respect for it to change oil but would like to keep the cost to a minimum and do it myself.

The car in question is a 17 Honda CRV with the not so new Honda 1.5T engine. it specs 0w-20, so whats a good replacement for it? I'll most likely use a non oem filter as well...any recommendations for that?

My previous car was an 08 XB that I used a Fram Ultra and whatever 5w 20 was on sale.

Thanks in advance!
Jack

You'll get lots of opinions, and here's one of them: Honda's 1.5T engine seems to be a chronic fuel diluter (see dblshock's posts here or visit Honda Civic forums), so reasonably frequent oil changes may be in order. As such, there's no need to go to oils that have a price premium associated with long OCI capability. So my vote would be Magnatec 0w-20. WalMart will ship it to your door for $17.88 per 5 quart jug if you buy 2 or more.

Magnatec seems well-regarded here and has held up particularly well in Ford EcoBoost engines, which also have fuel dilution issues.

One other thought: Honda makes a big deal about retaining the factory fill for a normal OCI, presumably because the assembly lubes it uses washes into the oil adding lots of molybdenum. Honda seems to believe this helps avoid hot spots on cylinder walls during the break-in period. If you're changing the factory fill on the early side you may want to use Mazda 0w-20 With Moly for the first change and then go to your long-term choice.

Honda recommends a filter change every other oil change. If you go this route and are wedded to the non-OEM choice, Fram Ultra seems a good bet. Honda filters made by Filtech (A01 suffix) are another good choice, but likely only available on-line.

Last edited:
Thanks for the recommendation! Any ideas for a cheap filter? I am at 20% for my oil life meter and 7500 miles

+1 on the Napa synthetic and sales.

Recently Walmart had Mobil 1 EP 0W20 for $15 for a 5 qt jug

It is 19.88 now

Originally Posted By: Chris Meutsch
I will be changing to Magnatec 0w20 tomorrow in my CR-V. $17 delivered via Amazon for a 5 quart bottle..

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
How much can you get OEM filter? Might be way to go.

Just called the dealership I bought the car from, $6.50 for an OEM....Not terrible but better than the other subpar options *cough* Purolator *cough*

Originally Posted By: Jackphom
Originally Posted By: Rolla07
How much can you get OEM filter? Might be way to go.

Just called the dealership I bought the car from, $6.50 for an OEM....Not terrible but better than the other subpar options *cough* Purolator *cough*

The Honda filters are pretty good, so $6.50 is a fair price for an OEM-branded filter.

OP: You just bought a New car for likely > $26,000.00 but I want to maintain it with "cheap" oil and "cheap" filter.

Lets hope you mean "economical with similar performance to "pricey" brands.

I would start with QSUD 5w20 or Magnatec 5w20. Your application is a highly stressed engine. Surprised it not a 30 grade spec.

Honda, Hyundai,Kia, Nissan, subaru are same basic spec filters. Fram Toughguard would nbe the OE Honda mfg and equivalent part/performance. I would NEVER buy a E-core Champ (if they still exist) but a std construction Champ filter.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
OP: You just bought a New car for likely > $26,000.00 but I want to maintain it with "cheap" oil and "cheap" filter.

Lets hope you mean "economical with similar performance to "pricey" brands.

I would start with QSUD 5w20 or Magnatec 5w20. Your application is a highly stressed engine. Surprised it not a 30 grade spec.

Honda, Hyundai,Kia, Nissan, subaru are same basic spec filters. Fram Toughguard would nbe the OE Honda mfg and equivalent part/performance. I would NEVER buy a E-core Champ (if they still exist) but a std construction Champ filter.

It was never my intention to use Dino whatever was cheapest at Walmart. It's a lease so I have it for 45k miles and would rather keep the oil change costs minimal.

I may start the Magnatec 0w-20 and will go with an OEM filter. So far that seems to keep costs reasonable, going to the dealer is $45 so that is the reason why I am choosing DIY for cost and also my time.

No sense in spending a good 2-3 hours at a dealership on a Saturday.

Since it's a lease.... use the cheapest 0W-20 found anywhere, that still meets the specs.

Same for the filter - and if you are changing the oil as often as Dan H is suggesting, then leave the same same filter on for 2x-3x oil changes.... because there won't be any debris inside to speak of, anyway.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
For any Turbo, I would use nothing less than a Full Synthetic.

especially one that's Turbo AND direct injection!

It IS a lease, and if you're sure you don't want to buy it at lease end, then simply find the cheapest 0w20, document your change.
Whatever is on sale. Amazon and Walmart both sell Magnatec 0w20 for $20 per 5-quart jug. The Quaker website does not have a rebate promotion listed, so that might be over. Nothing for Mobil1 or Pennz that I could find either. NAPA auto parts often has 0w20 for $4 per quart, which is a smarter way to buy it since your sump is only 3.7 quarts, not taking the full Monte (5quart jug). ...... NAPA has Peak Synthetic 0w20 for $1 per quart, online with pickup at store, if available. https://www.amazon.com/MILES-LUBRICANTS-MSF100511-Milesyn-Synthetic/dp/B01H6JWS0C/ref=sr_1_4 is a great deal.

Oil filter: cheapest at walmart is hard to beat, whatever the brand, will do.

Minimum precise Owner's Manual maintenance. Follow OLM if it has one. See if Honda still allows filter changes every other oil change; they used to.

Walmart currently has Mobil 1 0W-20 5 quart jugs on sale for $22. And for $25 you can get Pennzoil Platinum 0W-20 which is even more advanced than Mobil 1. For filters I would use any good quality Extended life oil filter like Mobil extended life/annual protection, Fram ultra, or STP extended life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back