What's a good all-around wax that's durable?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Railrust
Well, learned something...never heard of Collinite 845... did some research and read the reviews...sounds like the best wax on the market.

So I'm going to buy some on Amazon.

Collinite 845 is what I use.
Note: If it sits in the container a long time, it thickens-up and will need to be SHAKEN.
I add a marble to help mix up.

Edit: Lately I have been using Klasse High Gloss Sealant / different than Wax but with great results.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by MasterSolenoid
Originally Posted by Railrust
Well, learned something...never heard of Collinite 845... did some research and read the reviews...sounds like the best wax on the market.

So I'm going to buy some on Amazon.

Collinite 845 is what I use.
Note: If it sits in the container a long time, it thickens-up and will need to be SHAKEN.
I add a marble to help mix up.

Edit: Lately I have been using Klasse High Gloss Sealant / different than Wax but with great results.

No need to do that. Simply put it into a warm/hot bucket of water and give it a few minutes then shake the heck out of it. Any that is thickened around the neck can simply be scraped and pushed back into the bottle.
Setting the bottle in the sun also works.
What many people think and over do is not put it on thin enough nor make sure it is to the consistency of milk before applying. The more liquid it is and the more thin it is applied, the better it will work with ease of application and removal.

I too agree that Collinite #845 is a superior long lasting product. Where many folks go wrong is thinking more is better.....dead wrong. Thin is in with this and most all similar products. If you slather it on you'll play h3ll getting it off.

By the way don't discount Duragloss #105. It says "Polish" on the container but it is a durable sealant with light (chemical) cleaning ability. #501 offers more cleaning ability. Both are a pleasure to apply and remove and they are inexpensive.

Last edited:
+1 for Fusso Coat.

It's very durable and has excellent water beading.

Not the best gloss and i find other waxes like meguiar easier to apply.

Another vote for Nu Finish liquid, although I agree that having to watch out for plastic moldings can be a pain. As long as you apply a thin coat, it shouldn't be difficult to apply or buff off. I've never used the Collinite product, but I might try it based on all the positive recommendations here.

This youtuber compares many different ceramic coatings and throws in a few "normal" waxes with them. Nu Finish always finishes at or near the top. His latest test includes Collinite 845.

I find it funny that people are recommending NuFinish, when the OP already said he's tried it and found it just "OK"..

OP - As others have stated, Collinite is an outstanding product and will absolutely meet and exceed your needs/expectations. Also, as at least a couple others have suggested, Finish Kare FK1000P is another superior product that has outstanding durability and shine at a very good price tag. I have not used Fusso Coat, so I can't speak to it, but it is widely regarded, so I suspect it would also work well for you, albeit at a higher price tag than either Collinite or FK1000P.

In all honesty, unless you wax A LOT, a single bottle of Collinite 845 or a single tub of FK1000P will likely last you at least 5 years.

Originally Posted by SirTanon
In all honesty, unless you wax A LOT, a single bottle of Collinite 845 or a single tub of FK1000P will likely last you at least 5 years.

Which brings up another question: do these products have a shelf life? Does their performance deteriorate after sitting for some years?

Originally Posted by MoneyJohn
After a lot of research on the detailing boards, deliberations of what may address my needs with the limitations I have (like no access to a garden hose or electricity in the parking lot), I went with Klasse AIO and Klasse High Gloss Sealant. Some recommended me to top Klasse Sealant with Collinite 845 or 476 but on the detailing boards, I was recommended against as Klasse sealant is good enough for the job and nobody knows if these waxes will bind the sealant. (But I am toying with the idea of waxing half of the car and leaving half as is to see what works best)

From your description, your car looks in great shape. Mine is not, due to the limitations mentioned above. I would never wash the car in the parking lot. Only automated carwash was the option, along with the swirls as a free bonus. I didn't do any paint corrections but after Klasse AIO application, the swirl marks are not as visible as they used to be. Since the car is never detailed, its been 3 weeks, I am working on it, panel by panel, and I am happy with the results.
For the winter use, I have made a rinseless wash with Wolfgang Uber Rinseless wash (3oz/gallon of distilled water). As a quick detailer, I am mixing 1oz of this rinseless wash and 1oz of Klasse sealant per gallon of distilled water after the coin-op car wash.

If you do decide to stick to waxes, check Fusso coat. This seems to be in the rage at the moment. Very very close to Collinite 476 in terms of performance. According to Collinite, 476 is the most durable wax they have (so I dropped 845 thought, https://www.collinite.com/assets/Uploads/docs/AutoProductSelectorGuide.pdf) At the moment, I am unable to figure out if topping these waxes on my Klasse Sealant is going to give me any extra protection from winter salt.

Turtle Wax N Seal doesn't stand winter torture, so if you are fine applying it every week, you should be fine.

Turtle wax Seal N Shine cannot handle the winter? Thought it could since it can resist chemicals...

I love the shine Griot's One-Step Sealant gives any of the colored paints. Probably less noticeable on something like silver. I also like Meguiars Ultimate Liquid (and paste) wax for machine application on good paint. Check out my post from a few weeks back for a pic of paint thats been maintained with just about only those two waxes through its life.

That said, I would love to hear how the Collinite Insulator Wax would compare in shine and longevity to the Megs Ultimate.

3M Synthetic Wax(formerly 3M Performance Finish - so search both of those if you're looking for reviews) is one that's often overlooked. Very good longevity, looks good, and it's easy to use. It's a wipe on, wipe off product, no hazing, so it's a bit quicker than using a more traditional product.

Originally Posted by SirTanon

I go through about a bottle a year, but then I use this EVERY single time I wash the car.

Excessive? Probably, but my car is NEVER EVER garaged, and I use it in some very muddy/dusty conditions, and it tends to 'nuisance rain' (a light drizzle/rain once much dust/heavy pollen is on the car) A LOT around here.
frown.gif
mad.gif

Originally Posted by painfx
Originally Posted by MoneyJohn
After a lot of research on the detailing boards, deliberations of what may address my needs with the limitations I have (like no access to a garden hose or electricity in the parking lot), I went with Klasse AIO and Klasse High Gloss Sealant. Some recommended me to top Klasse Sealant with Collinite 845 or 476 but on the detailing boards, I was recommended against as Klasse sealant is good enough for the job and nobody knows if these waxes will bind the sealant. (But I am toying with the idea of waxing half of the car and leaving half as is to see what works best)

From your description, your car looks in great shape. Mine is not, due to the limitations mentioned above. I would never wash the car in the parking lot. Only automated carwash was the option, along with the swirls as a free bonus. I didn't do any paint corrections but after Klasse AIO application, the swirl marks are not as visible as they used to be. Since the car is never detailed, its been 3 weeks, I am working on it, panel by panel, and I am happy with the results.
For the winter use, I have made a rinseless wash with Wolfgang Uber Rinseless wash (3oz/gallon of distilled water). As a quick detailer, I am mixing 1oz of this rinseless wash and 1oz of Klasse sealant per gallon of distilled water after the coin-op car wash.

If you do decide to stick to waxes, check Fusso coat. This seems to be in the rage at the moment. Very very close to Collinite 476 in terms of performance. According to Collinite, 476 is the most durable wax they have (so I dropped 845 thought, https://www.collinite.com/assets/Uploads/docs/AutoProductSelectorGuide.pdf) At the moment, I am unable to figure out if topping these waxes on my Klasse Sealant is going to give me any extra protection from winter salt.

Turtle Wax N Seal doesn't stand winter torture, so if you are fine applying it every week, you should be fine.

Turtle wax Seal N Shine cannot handle the winter? Thought it could since it can resist chemicals...

That's not what I read. The durability is very good.

Originally Posted by RTexasF
I too agree that Collinite #845 is a superior long lasting product. ....

By the way don't discount Duragloss #105. It says "Polish" on the container but it is a durable sealant with light (chemical) cleaning ability. #501 offers more cleaning ability. Both are a pleasure to apply and remove and they are inexpensive.

Exactly my experience. I assume that you are talking about the two part application. Every bit as durable as Collinite 476 paste wax for me and I think the appearance as it ages is better. Very fairly priced.

I sort of think that the most efficient thing these days would be to spritz the car every six weeks or two months with a more durable spray wax such as Optimum. But that's just an educated guess.

Originally Posted by jimbrewer
Originally Posted by RTexasF
I too agree that Collinite #845 is a superior long lasting product. ....

Exactly my experience. I assume that you are talking about the two part application. Every bit as durable as Collinite 476 paste wax for me and I think the appearance as it ages is better. Very fairly priced.

I sort of think that the most efficient thing these days would be to spritz the car every six weeks or two months with a more durable spray wax such as Optimum. But that's just an educated guess.

I've never used this product so I just looked it up and found this info I thought you guys might like to read? Talks about mixing it with either 105/601. Have you guys ever done this before?

"Description
Duragloss Total Performance Polish is a SyntheticPolymer/Wax Formula. Super-tough coating forms a protective barrier which protects against acid rain, tree sap, bird droppings and other environmental pollutants.

One Step Wax - Recommended for all vehicles. Contains additional cleaning properties to remove mild oxidation and light surface scratches.

Step Saver Tip - Blend 4 parts #105 to 1 part 601, Polish Bonding Agent for added durability and gloss. Accelerates the curing process for instant bonding. Apply within 2 hours after mixing for maximum results.

Customer Reviews
Based on 1 reviewWrite a review
TPP105
Jim P Verified Buyeron Apr 19, 2015
Amazing deep gloss, easy on easy off and long lasting. I have used this on black, red, silver, blue vehicles and it out performs any other wax or polish that I have used. I have bought this products as gifts for buddies and they are all amazed with the look of their paint. Follow it up with dragons aqua wax and the shine is unmatched.

And lots of info about doing the same here as well.
https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101-a/61024-duragloss-105-501-601-a.html

I have good results from Meguiars Hybrid Ceramic wax and Meguiars Ultimate Quick detailer. The key is how it is installed. After car is cleaned spray on the wax and wash off with hose flow and dry with a leaf blower. If there is a film on the paint that is great. Park in garage and cover with plastic. Overnight is great. Then follow up with the quick detailer. Outside the box but works for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back