What're your home thermostat settings?

According to oilBabe, the same temperature can be too hot or too cold.

When it was 70 degrees yesterday AM, she complained of being cold. Later that day, 70 was too hot.

Oh the joys of menopausal women...

Monday -Friday
daytime 70 (7am-5:00pm)
evenings 72 (5pm-10pm)
nighttime/sleep 60 (10pm-7:15am)

Weekends almost the same as above, can vary slightly if we are going to be out all day then will put a "Hold" at a lower temperature until we return.
daytime 70 (9am-5pm)
Evenings 72 (5pm-10pm)
nighttime/sleep 60 (10pm-9am)

Very rarely will heat come on at 60 degrees when we sleep, temps have to go roughly to the mid 20's outside or so for the house to drop to 60 and trigger the thermostat. We like it cold when sleeping under a really thick comforter.
Well insulated 15 year old home.

Last edited:
We keep it at 63, and we have a 23 yr old American Standard natural gas furnace, it does well,but on reall cold snaps like this we help it out with the small wood stove that is in our basement. Most winters maybe run the wood stove maybe 10 -15 days at most. We had rolling blackouts yesterday and was with no power for about 2 hours and it' was nice to have the wood stove for backup. -27 right now here in Lincoln NE as I type this.

I have 3 young kids and I work from home so it’s comfortable here all day. 72 during the waking hours and 67 at night for sleeping. I keep the mother in laws quarters/garage at 52 when it’s not occupied. We have gas cooking, furnaces, fireplaces and water heaters. Paying about $0.77/therm in the winter all in with taxes and delivery based on the last few months bills. I used 19 therms on 2/14 which is the most recent date I can see on the gas company’s website. It’s been bitter cold so I can deal with that.

Edit-I’d try and get the kids out of the bedroom ASAP too. The longer you let them sleep in your bed(room) the harder it will be to break that.

Last edited:
Even I think 58 is kinda cold for inside. wpod you must take your electric bill seriously! I hope to one day be on your level!

We operate in the entire house, except our walk up attic (finished) which we only heat or cool if we are going to be up there.

I keep the house at 65 during the day, 62 at night. If we go away more than a few hours, I set the house to 60 or 55.

Monday -Friday
daytime 70 (7am-5:00pm)
evenings 72 (5pm-10pm)
nighttime/sleep 60 (10pm-7:15am)

Weekends almost the same as above, can vary slightly if we are going to be out all day then will put a "Hold" at a lower temperature until we return.
daytime 70 (9am-5pm)
Evenings 72 (5pm-10pm)
nighttime/sleep 60 (10pm-9am)

Very rarely will heat come on at 60 degrees when we sleep, temps have to go roughly to the mid 20's outside or so for the house to drop to 60 and trigger the thermostat. We like it cold when sleeping under a really thick comforter.
Well insulated 15 year old home.

I was at a hotel once and I lowered temp down to 55 degrees. I slept like a bear in hibernation.

Even I think 58 is kinda cold for inside. wpod you must take your electric bill seriously! I hope to one day be on your level!
Yeah. Like AC it the inside is too cool in the summer going outside will be too hot and if too warm going outside will be too cold. I wear heavy thermals undies in the winter and I am warm and in the summer Shorts and T shirts. Besides the wife is Finnish , they are strange people.

58* day and night.

Yeah. Like AC it the inside is too cool in the summer going outside will be too hot and if too warm going outside will be too cold. I wear heavy thermals undies in the winter and I am warm and in the summer Shorts and T shirts. Besides the wife is Finnish , they are strange people.
My wife works in a hospital and my last job was in a non air conditioned shop. I felt like I was going to die when I got home and the ac was set at 65-68! But I certainly agree with you, too much temperature difference between inside and out and I start using it as an excuse to stay in. I prefer to dress accordingly.

Winter: 70 when home and 65 when not home or sleeping. Fan goes to low and runs constantly.
Summer: 74 when AC is on.

Lennox Natural gas furnace/AC

Back