what your favorite brand of passenger car tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
i need a set of tires for the saturn . the oem size is 185/65/15 i want a lower profile could i go down to 195/55/15? and whats a good brand to check out.

Stick with the OE size, IMO. No benefit from lower profile that will matter on a Saturn.

A couple popular tires on the forum:
-Hankook H727
-Cooper CS4

I don't buy based on brand. That's foolish. Have owned Continental, Michelin, Goodyear, Kumho, Bridgestone. All make good tires, and all make some lousy ones too.

I buy based on the objective testing I read about (Tire Rack, namely) and sometimes based on subjective experience from owners of the same or similar car.

Originally Posted By: dparm
I don't buy based on brand. That's foolish. Have owned Continental, Michelin, Goodyear, Kumho, Bridgestone. All make good tires, and all make some lousy ones too.

I buy based on the objective testing I read about (Tire Rack, namely) and sometimes based on subjective experience from owners of the same or similar car.

Same here, I read the reviews based on what models are available in my size. I have mostly bought from Goodyear, Bridgestone and Michelin. I did buy Yokohama's once. I also shoot for buying something made in the USA if possible.

Originally Posted By: chevyboy14
i like the more solid cornering feel of low profile tires

I had Michelin Hydroedge on my SL2 and they did hug the road better on a corner compared to CS4. My solution was to let up on the gas a little when taking a turn too fast since using the CS4's. The Michelin's were more solid when cornering at higher speeds. Otherwise the Michelin's had no advantage to me plus they cost a lot more than the CS4's.

Overall I love General tires. They are never expensive, and always perform well. I am also a fan of Cooper and some Hankook.

I do not believe in paying a premium for brands like Michelin. Just no need.

Originally Posted By: dparm

Me neither !
I buy what is the best value in term of performance/handling on dry road(since we rarely have any rainy day in So Cal), tread life, road noise and price(after rebate).

None of my car has the same brand in a row. The LS400 has Yoko AVID Touring-S now, it had AVID Touring (not S) many years ago, then Michelin Harmony after that.

+1 on the Generals.
I'd recommend the Altimax, either HP or RT to the OP as a good tire overall at a bargain price point.

Originally Posted By: SLCraig
Overall I love General tires. They are never expensive, and always perform well. I am also a fan of Cooper and some Hankook.

Originally Posted By: SLCraig

+1....on the Generals (owned by Continental)....

Purchased the General Altamax HP.... from TireRack... about two years ago. Low price...but IMO...excellent tire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back