What would you use? Oil recommendations requested.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello BITOG!

First post so bare with me!

I've read the sticky on oil recommendations and figured I'd throw my own oil recommendation request out there for your consideration.

I'll keep this is as short & sweet as possible.

Truck: 1997 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4WD

Engine: 5vz-fe 3.4 liter engine

Transmission: a340f

Milage: 416,000 miles on original engine (and transmission). Never been rebuilt or opened up either.

Oil recommendation according to owners manual: 5w-30
[img:center][/img]

Vehicle driving environment: California weather consisting of temps as low as 30* in the winter and highs up to 110* in the summer.

Vehicle driving conditions: 80% city driving with 10-15 average engine starts per day. During summer high temperatures, engine is sometimes left to idle for up to 20 minutes multiple times per day. Most trips allow engine to reach and maintain full operating temp (or very close) throughout the day.

My driving style: I'm not conservative or aggressive but maybe in the middle. In other words I don't pick my nose at stoplights — but I don't floor it or race off the line like a 17 year old either. The only times I drop the hammer is when passing or making short merges onto the freeway (weather and conditions permitting of course).

Current oil change interval: 5-7k but on average 6

Current oil: Valvoline Maxlife synthetic blend 5w-20 high milage (I run this mostly but have also experimented with QS UD full synthetic oils a few times as well)

Oil Filter: Toyota filter

Engine condition: Engine runs very strong. Fuel milage is normal. No known significant engine issues. Engine consumes about 3/4 quart of oil every 5-6k miles. I top off periodically between oil changes, never allowing the oil level below halfway mark on dipstick. No noticeable smoke from exhaust but I do have leaky VCs and rear main seal that probably are responsible for the majority of the oil "consumption".

Vehicle history: Previous owner had vehicle until 350,000 miles then gave to me for free (they mistook shoddy maintenance for a shoddy vehicle). Oil changes were infrequent at best and non-existent for extended periods at worst. Oil changes were performed at the cheapest oil change places they could find and only the cheapest (read least expensive) oils were ever used.

Previous owners overall vehicle maintenance could easily be rated as a C- or D+.

Under my ownership where I have done all maintenance and repairs myself from 350,000 miles to its current 416,000 miles — oil change intervals have averaged about 6,000~ miles with Valvoline or Quaker State synthetic or synthetic blend oils & Toyota OEM filters.

So, my questions are:

If this was your truck and you lived where I live and drive how I drive — what oil would you be using and why? Emphasis on the "why".

Thanks to anyone who bothered to read all of this.
sleep.gif

I'd probably use a 5W30 or a HM 5W30, that's what the engine called for and it appears to have worked. I wouldn't use a 20 grade in that engine.

Actually any oil from the major name brands with the proper specs 5W-30 will be fine as today's oils are just that good. A Hm oil wouldn't hurt as they are a bit thicker,why the 5W=20? 10w-30 is good to 0*f starts so it would be a good choice as well.

I would move up to the recommended 5W30, or even a 10W30 (or 10W40 if necessary) Maxlife red bottle. I have a somewhat similar situation on the XJ Cherokee in my sig, using 5W30 it will lose/burn a quart every 1K or so, but since I switched to Maxlife 10W40 it hasn't gotten off the full line yet. Only side effect has been slower cranking speed below 10F, which you don't have to worry about. And-
welcome2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I'd probably use a 5W30 or a HM 5W30, that's what the engine called for and it appears to have worked. I wouldn't use a 20 grade in that engine.

Thanks for the reply!

Aside from the obvious that Toyota didn't recommend that viscosity, why would you not want to run 5w-20?

I think your definition of cold needs to be reexamined per the recommendations. 30 is not cold. Zero is cold. 30 I still leave milk out on the deck:) I would go with the 10-30 but would probably be happy with a good 5-30 as your oil consumption is what a lot of owners would be happy with and with the mileage on yours, very happy.
Probably another discussion on what brand and if HM or not, well that's probably in the rear view mirror with 400k.

Originally Posted By: StreetCreeper

Thanks for the reply!

Aside from the obvious that Toyota didn't recommend that viscosity, why would you not want to run 5w-20?
The 5W20 would increase consumption, for a negligible fuel economy improvement.

I would go with either PU/PP or M1 5w30 and run it 2 cycles and see how the usage tracks. If it stays at 3/4 qt or less, I would keep using the same oil. Or you could try different oil types and see what you like or sounds best.

That is one of Toyotas best engines and will run on anything i would use Mobil Super High Mileage 5w30 it is not blended on the thick side like some other oils and it has seal conditioners and its a semi synthetic blend.. I am using that in a number of engines and all are doing very well

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle

Thanks for the reply!

The 5W20 would increase consumption, for a negligible fuel economy improvement.

Ah so you are saying that the 5w-20 will simply be consumed (in one way or another) quicker than a thicker viscosity oil and that cost is the biggest factor in your recommendation vs engine wear or damage due to non-recommended oil viscosity being used? Just trying to clarify — not question your advice.

I'll be absorbing all the collected wisdom presented here! Thanks to all who reply even if I don't get a chance to respond to each post.

Thanks for the reply!

I feel a 30 grade oil is the better choice for the application, especially with over 400K miles on it.

In Cali? 400K+ engine?
Any 10W-30 HDEO or HM would work well.
This Toy owes nobody a thing.

At 410k miles, keep doing what you are doing with the 30 weight. I agree with using a 10w30 in your mild climate, and like the Valvoline.

Seems what you are doing is fine. Synthetic is better than what it needs. Stick to what you are doing and happy motoring.

However, if it were me and given what I already run, I would probably give it some rt6 and call it 7k.

welcome2.gif

90s Toyotas are the BEST! Here's to another 417k
beer3.gif

My choice would be Napa Synthetic since it's on sale for only $2.99/qt. Pair it with a Napa Gold filter.

If you're near a Kmart, Smitty's HM often goes on sale for a little over $2/qt or $9-10 for a 5qt jug.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back