What tool to tighten this strut nut?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replacing the rear struts on the 2001 ZX2. The original strut had a space in the center for a hex key to hold the rod while loosening the nut. This one doesn't. Is there some tool that grabs that odd shaped washer that would hold the rod steady?

[Linked Image from fototime.com]

Get a wrench in the flats on the bolt that is starting to show. Use a crows foot on a torque wrench to get the torque correct.

Used my Craftsman 24" adjustable wrench. First time since I got it 10 years ago. Now where is that thread on tools you bought and only used once or never used at all?

4 1/2" grinder or hacksaw.
Cut a slot in the threaded top for large(ish) screwdriver.
Pass screwdriver through box end wrench. You may need a Vise grip on the screwdriver shank to hold still while tightening.
Not pretty but maybe you have a decorative strut cap to hide the hideous hack?.?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by vw7674
4 1/2" grinder or hacksaw.
Cut a slot in the threaded top for large(ish) screwdriver.
Pass screwdriver through box end wrench. You may need a Vise grip on the screwdriver shank to hold still while tightening.
Not pretty but maybe you have a decorative strut cap to hide the hideous hack?.?

Yeah this or the impact.

If you put vise grips on the shaft, use rubber or something so you don't mar the chrome finish... marring it would wreck the seals.

I don't like to spin the strut rod with impact. looks like there are flats on the threads, so you can use 2 end wrenches.

I use a bit of anti-seize on the threads, makes it easier to tighten down.

The first fan clutch removal on the Borman6 was performed with a 24" Stilson. Use a spring compressor.Compress the spring enough to relieve load on the nut put a board under the wheel or wedge knuckle. Stupid Ny-Lok nuts. Clamp a Vise grip nose on above the nut and use an open end on nut You just need a couple turns until you can put a real wrench on the flats. My first BMW strut R+R required reflexes i no longer possess. I didn't replace the other side until a yr later After an AHA moment. I only needed enough compression to HOLD the spring from taking my head off when i took the nut off
grin2.gif

Last edited:
Maintain some spring tension on the assembly, then use an impact to spin down the nut.

Originally Posted by atikovi
Replacing the rear struts on the 2001 ZX2. The original strut had a space in the center for a hex key to hold the rod while loosening the nut. This one doesn't. Is there some tool that grabs that odd shaped washer that would hold the rod steady?

[Linked Image from fototime.com]

That's one reason I buy Monroe's. They have that space in the center for a hex key for tightening. Other brands don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back