What to use to prevent rust from MN winters???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

The most important thing is the quality of the application and at least annual inspection of the underside to make sure all is well. Keep all the weep/drain holes clear so water doesn't collect anywhere. I have a Ziebart dealer that does awsome work but if I couldn't take it to someone I trust I would try to do it myself. Many places do a poor job from what I've seen.

This is SOOO true! I have a 97 Nissan P'up that was Zeibarted, along with annual inspections, which is supposed to be GUARANTEED not to rust through. Well, needless to say I now have rust bubbling through on one back fender. No problem, just take your warranty card back and they'll fix it, right? Oh - one problem, my wife can't find the warranty card.
pat2.gif

I emailed Zeibart and asked if they would use the dealer's records as proof, and they told me I was screwed - NO warranty! I replied to their email and told them I would do everything in my power to make sure people know what a ripoff they are.

In short, if I didn't trust the dealer with my wife, I wouldn't give those jerks a dime!!!!

grizzsdad - do not feel so bad. Even with the warranty card its their option to fix the rust OR refund your money for the rustproofing. In almost all case you only get your money refunded.

I live in snow/salt country (upstate ny).

1. Pick up a few cans of 3M rust proofing spray, only available currently at body shop supply stores. It is a yellowish wax that really prevents rust in areas that are currently rust free but likely to rust. Bottom of doors, lips of the trunk, wheel well steel lips, etc.

2. Pick up a few cans of rust neturalizer gel. Apply this to your rust and it will turn black. They cover with paint or 3M rust proofing spray. Good for bolts and suspension pieces such as strut towers that you would not want to pay to fix or replace.

Both are proven methods that are relatively cheap, easy to apply and you can do it yourself. Commerical rust proofing is a total ripoff, IMO.

Richard.

Quote:

I see THESE electronic rust inhibitors being advertised at Canadian Tire in Canada, anyone had experience with them ??

I read through explanation on the manufacturer's web site and failed to understand how it works. They made few mistakes explaining the principles behind this thing.
I’d say no way it works, even though they tried. Their explanation does not hold water at all…

JetSnake. Living in Canada, we know a thing or two
about rust and keeping a car from rusting. If you live
close to the Canadian border, we have two very good
companies here in Canada. Krown and Rust Check. I think
Krown was voted #1 and I have two cars treated with Krown.
Visit their web site and see if they have any outlets near
you. The product will drip for a few days which you need
to creep into the seams. It costs about $125 cdn ($100US).

For the other guys from the Buffalo area, I think there
is a Krown outlet in Fort Erie.
cheers.gif
canada.gif
patriot.gif

My choice is a good car wash on as regular intervals as possible during the winter. With current rustproofing, I've had no need for aftermarket rustproofing as I generally wear the mechanicals out before I have rust issues!

Quote:

My choice is a good car wash on as regular intervals as possible during the winter.

There's a problem with this approach though.
You create pockets of a perfect electrolyte in the instant you hit the road after the car wash. You can't dry all the water from inside panels and from underbody. The moisture picks up road salt in no time. Furthermore, salty slush gets all over the car in 5 minutes of highway driving...
So there is no substitution for chemical rustproofing so far. If the car is keeper of course.

There are products that are sold at marine type stores that are called 'salt away' and similar names. I have in the past used a pressurized garned sprayer with a solution of this stuff in water, to clean and protect the undersides of our vehicles. Seems to work well enough, I guess.

JMH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back