What to put in outdoor Diesel Generator

It was -35F here in Maine last winter. And we see temps in the upper 80s a few weeks a summer. This generator has a HUGE cooling system, so I'm not too worried about it running warm.

Just flushed it out for a few hours and a lot of crud came out. The brass Radiator was replaced in 2010 I noticed. Put Peak 10X in it. Had green IAT which turned brown once I got some flow through things.

What’s the case for use? Ice storms? Is this an emergency use item, or prime power for an off the grid weekend lodge? Whats the typical scenario?

That may give insights into the better approach - focus on pre-heating when conditions are looking bad, versus investing in oil selections that may give advantages. If you know and can prep, the engine can be pre heated, even run for a bit. If you don’t or can’t, then you have to rely upon the oil - you don’t want to be burning too much electricity keeping something warm that may never see use.

Amazon has rotella T6 5w-30 for $47/gal. That’s probably a good start. A 0w HDEO if mission critical stone cold starts are necessary is a good option too. Better ensure that the battery is up to the task for that…

I'm installing a 3ø 26Kw diesel generator for a customer. This is a used unit with a mechanical John Deere Saran 4 cyl engine. It is from 1996. This is a N/A engine.

It gets -30F here, and this is just a sheetmetal enclosure outside. It has a coolant heater, and I'm contemplating an oil pan heater set to come on when it's colder than 30 outside.

This is an 1800 RPM generator, where once it starts, the governor goes straight to 1800 RPM. Thinner oil would be better I'd think!
At those temps an oil pan heater would be a must.

This is backup for a doctor's office. No warning as to when it'll be used. Just needs to work. Electricity cost to keep things warm is not an issue, part of doing business. Power outtages are generally 5 a year for 1/2-2 hours.

The block heater is part of the control package and is regulated to keep the block at 120F all the time. Actually sets off low engine temp alarm at 90F.

I'm just going off the cuff that a 100- 150 watt oil pan heater would be good. I would control that based in ambient temp and turn on at 20F or something. Pan holds 9qts. I don't want too much heat on the pan as it'll basically be on for 2 months straight if I set it to come on at 20F.

This is backup for a doctor's office. No warning as to when it'll be used. Just needs to work. Electricity cost to keep things warm is not an issue, part of doing business. Power outtages are generally 5 a year for 1/2-2 hours.

The block heater is part of the control package and is regulated to keep the block at 120F all the time. Actually sets off low engine temp alarm at 90F.

I'm just going off the cuff that a 100- 150 watt oil pan heater would be good. I would control that based in ambient temp and turn on at 20F or something. Pan holds 9qts. I don't want too much heat on the pan as it'll basically be on for 2 months straight if I set it to come on at 20F.
With all that said I’d run any 5w-40 and call it a day.

all my water cooled non DPF diesels seem to just LOVE m1 0w-40.

Its typically cheap and easy to find.

I never did find the upper limit on run time of my Kubota 8K gensets on it.

Last edited:
all my water cooled non DPF diesel seems to just LOVE m1 0w-40.

I was working at a hunting camp a few years ago. They had a 20kW single phase genset with a 4cyl NA Yanmar. It had...I kid you not, 43,000 hours on it. Only had the valves adjusted once, and oil changes. They ran 15-40 Rotella T4, and whatever HDEO 15-40 was cheapest. All non synthetic.... run on high sulfur non-road diesel. Don't know what the OCI was.

I was working at a hunting camp a few years ago. They had a 20kW single phase genset with a 4cyl NA Yanmar. It had...I kid you not, 43,000 hours on it. Only had the valves adjusted once, and oil changes. They ran 15-40 Rotella T4, and whatever HDEO 15-40 was cheapest. All non synthetic.... run on high sulfur non-road diesel. Don't know what the OCI was.

Thats impressive - up there with listers.

all my water cooled non DPF diesels seem to just LOVE m1 0w-40.

A little off topic, but I still can’t bring myself to run a light duty diesel oil in my Kubotas, but I’m getting there at least for the out of warranty stuff as 0w40 isn’t allowed per the manual. I do use 0w40 use it in everything else though.

I have a low use D600 that likely wouldn’t care. My tractor and mower. Ehhhhh. I don’t know.

You did UOA’s right?

I have a Yanmar tractor. No DPF, always run T6. But I may switch to M1 0-40 now. When it's cold, the oil pressure light takes about 3 seconds to turn off.... I'd like to see if it builds pressure faster with 0-40.....

In these recommendations that are focusing on grade, which 0W-30 oils are there that carry an appropriate diesel rating for the engine?

A little off topic, but I still can’t bring myself to run a light duty diesel oil in my Kubotas, but I’m getting there at least for the out of warranty stuff as 0w40 isn’t allowed per the manual. I do use 0w40 use it in everything else though.

I have a low use D600 that likely wouldn’t care. My tractor and mower. Ehhhhh. I don’t know.

You did UOA’s right?

This unit was in my wife's grooming van. Its a sweet little deal that ran off a d722.

full-64114-34215-12_onan_8000_d722_180607.jpg

Last edited:
I have a Yanmar tractor. No DPF, always run T6. But I may switch to M1 0-40 now. When it's cold, the oil pressure light takes about 3 seconds to turn off.... I'd like to see if it builds pressure faster with 0-40.....
A block heater would do wonders. 20*F or colder makes a huge difference.

Back