What to look for in a HDEO used as hydraulic fluid?

I have a John Deere 757 zero turn mower that calls for 15w40 in the drive system. It calls out Plus-50 specifically in the manual. I have used 15w40 Rotella in the past and Schaeffer 15w40 in the engine. Would anyone have a preference or any advice in selecting an oil for this system? My two easiest options right now are: 1. stick with Rotella or 2. run the same Schaeffer product that I use in the engine.

I'm going to send a sample of Plus 50II (well, 0W40 but still) very soon. I suspect it's Rotella in disguise.

In your case I'd run the same thing as in the engine.

I'm going to send a sample of Plus 50II (well, 0W40 but still) very soon. I suspect it's Rotella in disguise.

In your case I'd run the same thing as in the engine.
Save your money. For years at least in Canada (a little bird told me) Esso, now Mobil blended and packaged JD lubricants.
Remarkably, Esso XD-3 back in the day published the same PDS spec's as JD engine oils.

I use these guys for UOAs www.btacm.com $21 taxes in.

Any 15W-40 from the major oil bottlers would work. Changing the oil [filters] on a regular basis would make more of a difference in longevity than any particular brand name.

Save your money. For years at least in Canada (a little bird told me) Esso, now Mobil blended and packaged JD lubricants.
Remarkably, Esso XD-3 back in the day published the same PDS spec's as JD engine oils.

I use these guys for UOAs www.btacm.com $21 taxes in.
Thanks for the tip on the lab!
I usually get the Napa kits...mine is prepaid and ready to go.

This thread seem to have concluded it was now a Shell product:

guess we'll probably never know for sure!

Thanks for the tip on the lab!
I usually get the Napa kits...mine is prepaid and ready to go.

This thread seem to have concluded it was now a Shell product:

guess we'll probably never know for sure!
Who makes the best 0W40? I'll start the bid with Mobil's Delvac since Esso XD-3 0W40 is no longer.
All the others are tied for second place.

I decided to switch to Schaeffer in both compartments. I’ll be ordering more 15w40 from the local sales rep soon. It has served very well in the engine and I believe it will do well in the drives too.

Back