What to do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
2014 Mazda CX-5. In 2 weeks I'll be going to Memphis to eat bbq and listen to some blues. By the time I leave,I'll have 3500 miles on the clock. I plan on putting 2000-2500 miles on during the trip. The question is- Do the first oil change before leaving,Get close to 5000 miles and get it changed down there,or leave it till I get home. Like I said,this is the first change on the factory fill. Opinions please!

You realize if 100 people respond to this post, 50 will say change it and 50 will say leave it. I don't think there is a right or wrong answer.

Put me down for change it.

Highway driving is not hard on oil. I would just change it when you return.

However, your car is under warranty so I would suggest you stick to the manufacturer requirements.

I was taught and believe in changing your oil before a trip of that distance for optimal lubrication and protection just how i was raised in a family of mechanics.

If 5,000 miles is the severe scheduled oil change then I wouldn't change it till after the trip. I would however; check the oil level at each gas fill up per manual.

I'm new here, so my opinion probably doesn't go too far, but I also own a 2014 Mazda (6 in my case). I changed mine at 1297. It was right before I went on a trip, so it was the only way felt good about leaving. I plan to follow the severe OCI of 5000 miles for now, because I do a lot of short trips.

Regardless, I love my new Mazda, I hope you do too!

If you already will have 3500 miles before you leave, I would just change it before your trip.

Originally Posted By: bpracer
2014 Mazda CX-5. I'll have 3500 miles on the clock.

New car...3500 miles on it..wear metal in the oil = oil change.

Change it, but don't tell anybody and destroy the receipts. If you are married and your wife asks what you spent that money on: lie and say it was for moonshine.

Edit:
You could also lie and say you went to the local strip club, but then you may have a screwed up vegetable/meat ratio at dinner or worse if she gripes about not bringing her with you.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dparm
However, your car is under warranty so I would suggest you stick to the manufacturer requirements.
I think this ^^^ is the most important point, but I also belong to the "change the factory-fill out early" club.

So youll have 3500 miles on it BEFORE your big trip? I would change it. Mazda 0w-20 w/ Moly. It probably wont make much of a difference either way. But at least you'll have peace of mind.

3500-4000 would be my limit on the Factory Fill for that vehicle.

P.S. Post #777! Must be my lucky day.

Last edited:
You win the prize my friend! I'll get it changed before I leave. Thanks everyone!
Originally Posted By: yonyon
Change it, but don't tell anybody and destroy the receipts. If you are married and your wife asks what you spent that money on: lie and say it was for moonshine.

Edit:
You could also lie and say you went to the local strip club, but then you may have a screwed up vegetable/meat ratio at dinner or worse if she gripes about not bringing her with you.

Originally Posted By: Warstud
Originally Posted By: bpracer
2014 Mazda CX-5. I'll have 3500 miles on the clock.

New car...3500 miles on it..wear metal in the oil = oil change.

This! I would never leave the FF in for that long.

Been through this with my cousin...
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2870853&page=1

He decided to change oil before his trip so the work would be done where he bought his new car, before and after the trip.

His on-board monitor tells him that 1000 highway miles reduced the viability percentage LESS than suburban driving...as one would expect.

...and he's comforted that he won't have to change the oil until he returns home in 4 months...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: KitaCam
Been through this with my cousin...
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2870853&page=1

He decided to change oil before his trip so the work would be done where he bought his new car, before and after the trip.

His on-board monitor tells him that 1000 highway miles reduced the viability percentage LESS than suburban driving...as one would expect.

...and he's comforted that he won't have to change the oil until he returns home in 4 months...

Honda recommends keeping the FF in until the OLM is 15% or less so your cousin's Honda should not have the oil changed before the trip.

Now about the OP's Mazda;
I don't have a Mazda but I believe Mazda does not say this. I recommend the OP change his Mazda's oil before the trip and not worry about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back