What to do in your last few minutes...

Status
Not open for further replies.
On a weird side note, Dr. Henry Heimlich is interred at Spring Grove Cemetery in Cincinnati. His late wife Jane was the daughter of Arthur Murray, dance instructor.

Depending on who you ask Heimlich was either a genius or a world-class self promoting con-man, perhaps a little of both.

One of his sons, Peter thinks he's a fraud.

http://medfraud.info/

My previous Dr. put me on a diuretic for high blood pressure and a potassium tablet to combat the side effects of the diuretic. The potassium pill is a huge horse pill that is not coated. Sometimes it gets stuck in my throat trying to swallow it but I was getting the hang of it. Took one after my wife went to bed and it got stuck. Cut off my windpipe. Can't breathe. Uh-oh. Then the brain starts working;

Hmmm, have about a minute until we pass out and then we'll die quietly. Probably not enough time to call 911 but it's worth a shot. How about we call 911, open front door, cause loud noises to wake wife. Wife won't be any help, she'll just panic. Well, we can't her woken by the police and ambulance. Yeah, that seems like a possibility but we'll have to wake her. We will probably still die, though. Wife will be really upset. Her grandmother died choking on something. We can't die this way. Hmmm, maybe there is a better idea. Try self-Heimlich. You think it will work? Eh, worth a try. We don't have much time. How about we call 911 and then try the self-Heimlich? Ok, but only one try at the Heimlich and then we'll have to call 911 and wake wife. Deal.

Luckily the stupid potassium tablet popped right out first try.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing this story Shannow. You definitely did not want to leave this earth in that manner.

It reminded me of the death of Mama Cass. Yes I am showing my age here. They say the choking on a ham sandwich is a false story but I still hold onto that, considering a half eaten sandwich was next to her. It's not a way you want to be remembered.

Originally Posted by Shannow
Tried a bunch of stuff, fingers in throat to try to get the gag reflex thing happening, amongst them, picked up the phone...silly idea, couldn't speak obviously, and around the 1:30 mark, started to write a note to my girlfriend, and work out where to lay down.

Was past 2 minutes when I spied the overhanging end of the breakfast bar, it was a high bar, above normal table level, needing stools to reach it comfortably. I realised that was right about diaphragm level, stepped back a few paces, and ran at it full tilt, in an attempt to perform something like the Heimlich manoeuvre. Hit the bench right at the right level. Compressed what was in my lungs and whipped me over the bench quite violently.

Onion, released, popped out and rolled along the bench, like some Stephen King movie effect...then just sat there.

Dang, sounds like it was a close call. Something to keep in mind I guess ... self induced Heimlich maneuver.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ns5rEbfLl3g

I go snarled up in milfoil in a lake once and almost went under ... barely made it to the ski dock I was swimming for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back