What to do in your last few minutes...

Status
Not open for further replies.
An experience that I had nearly 30 years ago.

Shared a house in Sydney with some friends and a girlfriend while we were all at University.

Home alone one day, reached into the fridge and grabbed a pickled onion...had it in my mouth, savouring the vinegar, as I walked to the loungeroom to see what was on the idjit box.

Hooked my foot on a fold in the carpet (rental, bad carpet), and felt the onion slide down my throat and get stuck. Right in the middle of my throat.

Was on a breath intake, so little to no air in my lungs, tried to swallow. Nope, stuck. Tried to cough. Nope, no air.

Glanced at the clock, and took note of the time.

Had been a good, regular swimmer in my teens, so the clock was important. I knew that I could go at least two minutes without breathing and still be competent.

Became aware of my current mortality, and observed that time dilation effect of hitting a corner too fast settling in.

Tried a bunch of stuff, fingers in throat to try to get the gag reflex thing happening, amongst them, picked up the phone...silly idea, couldn't speak obviously, and around the 1:30 mark, started to write a note to my girlfriend, and work out where to lay down.

Was past 2 minutes when I spied the overhanging end of the breakfast bar, it was a high bar, above normal table level, needing stools to reach it comfortably. I realised that was right about diaphragm level, stepped back a few paces, and ran at it full tilt, in an attempt to perform something like the Heimlich manoeuvre. Hit the bench right at the right level. Compressed what was in my lungs and whipped me over the bench quite violently.

Onion, released, popped out and rolled along the bench, like some Stephen King movie effect...then just sat there.

Dunno why this has popped into my head the last few days at 50. Had a few near drowns as a teenager, and many many too fast corners into my early 20s. I think that this incident was one of the only ones where I knew 100% that I was alone, and that if I couldn't fix it, no-one else was going to.

There wasn't a highway you could run into?

A lot of people choke to death in restaurant bathrooms-- they leave the table silently because they think they've got this.

If your friend bolts from the table under odd circumstances, chase them down!

Originally Posted by eljefino

A lot of people choke to death in restaurant bathrooms-- they leave the table silently because they think they've got this!

I had to do the Heimlich (poorly) on my girlfriend 10 years ago in IHOP when she choked on a frozen strawberry on her waffle. She was in full on panic after just 10 seconds....

Originally Posted by Shannow
.... and around the 1:30 mark, started to write a note to my girlfriend, and work out where to lay down..

Wow, I have never rehearsed what I would say in that situation.

Just another example how multitasking is a delusion.
https://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=95256794

coffee2.gif

Well, good story.
I almost always have a small sharp knife in my pocket, though I don't know if I'd be able to self-trach.
Looks like somebody did, in '08.
Or, cut up the food.

Wow, remembering.....Me 8, Mom picked us up from school. She had some tea, shared, hit a bump. Ice cube down my throat, no air. Almost home, she ran a waterhose down my throat. I remember that I had some new shoes on, and I was worried about them.
One of the scariest moments of my life. As a parent now and a Grandparent--good on you Mom. Smart.

Dunno why this has popped into my head the last few days at 50.

Turning 50 is like that. At 40 you feel kinda old but like "yeah I'll make it to 80 or more" so no big deal. Not even half way there yet. Still young.
At 50 you're like "oh yeah probably not making it to 100... more than half my life is over."
You realize you're never going to be a billionaire. Some life dreams just won't happen.
But, you take a moment and enjoy what you do have, all the more.

Breath training, situational awareness and a capacity to remain calm certainly came through there. Remaining calm particularly, during asphyxiation one should never panic re: needless consumption of oxygen. Epic story man , including Stephen King's "Onion"

Once I stopped at a very small Kentucky Fried Chicken place that was located in a very small building. I was the only customer and ate my meal there, and swallowed too big a piece of white meat that got stuck in my throat. The person who waited on me was now in the back of the shop and there was no one there to see me. I could not make any sound. I made a fist and cupped the fist with my other hand and punched myself just below the diaphragm and the piece of chicken flew out of my mouth.

About two years ago my mother who was then 84 was choking on a large pill. I quickly asked her if she wanted me to perform the Heimlich maneuver on her and she did not respond. I got behind her and put my fist against her diaphragm and cupped that fist with my other hand and gave her three quick thrusts. On the third thrust the pill popped out.

Originally Posted by HangFire
Turning 50 is like that. At 40 you feel kinda old but like "yeah I'll make it to 80 or more" so no big deal. Not even half way there yet. Still young.
At 50 you're like "oh yeah probably not making it to 100... more than half my life is over."
You realize you're never going to be a billionaire. Some life dreams just won't happen.
But, you take a moment and enjoy what you do have, all the more.

On reflection,that's probably pretty close to the mark...that was more than half my life ago, and less than half left.

Brought about by having to do some stuff around my retirement savings with a new Contract most likely.

Originally Posted by Linctex
.... and around the 1:30 mark, started to write a note to my girlfriend, and work out where to lay down..

Wow, I have never rehearsed what I would say in that situation.

"I was murdered"

When I was about 20 I was having a brunch with my (then) girlfriend and her family, at a major hotel chain everyone would recognize. It was an elegant affair in the beautiful atrium of this somewhat upscale hotel. I was drinking orange juice and chewing on the small pieces of ice in the drink. (Yeah I know its a bad habit). The ice chunks were small and not a hazard in any way, so I got complacent about them. Ready to leave, I decided to gulp the last of the OJ and the few small chunks of ice remaining.

As it all slid down, I noticed one particular chunk of ice was not cold as it came down my throat, and it lodged and begin to hurt. I quietly panicked inside and begin to try to bring it back up. As it turned out, it was a piece of another broken OJ glass, with sharp corners that cut my throat. Getting it back up was the right thing to do even though I bled. Had that sharp piece of glass went down, I would have bled internally and maybe died. Scary.

All my slow motion near death experiences have been on 2 wheels. There is a lot of thought processing in milliseconds. Some unexplained things can happen....

I choked on a grape when I was 4. I remember hopping around saying I was choking and that's it. Apparently I passed out while mom was on hold with 911. Somehow I spit the grape out and woke up.

10 years ago I almost drowned in the middle of a lake. I'm an okay short term swimmer, but I was tired and the waves were strong. An inter tube blew away so I went after it.. I was at the point of no return so I kept going for the sake of having a flotation device and by then it was too late. I remember getting really tired and not thinking fully or even caring. My brother went out and got me with an inter tube. I remember being so exhausted and afraid the tube would break from all the weight so I told him I just wanted to sit there until I caught my breath. Took me about 5 minutes or so then we swam back to the boat.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back