What to do if a small hex screw is rounded in tub faucet handle?

43AF7B4F-843E-4A7E-ACA9-80602937BF1F.jpeg
F8F961D5-D9CA-46B6-ACCE-9FA6D46818C3.jpeg

7CD343D5-BFE6-4195-83D4-3B995E3CC291.jpeg

Same setup? I was able to remove mine after cleaning out the hex (using a pick) with a 2mm hex key. I think a 1/16” drill bit may be too large; you might need to start with something smaller.

Last edited:
Drill end of handle so ya can just unscrew the Philips head screw out of the adapter. Ya have to get close to center of the handle to get to the screw. Usually those set screws are very hard and screw up the drill before much material is removed. Backing out that Phillips head screw is alot easier..

I'd gently hammer in a small torx or star bit until it bites and remove and replace the hex bolt.

Last edited:
View attachment 99306View attachment 99305

View attachment 99325
Same setup? I was able to remove mine after cleaning out the hex (using a pick) with a 2mm hex key. I think a 1/16” drill bit may be too large; you might need to start with something smaller.
I think mine is much smaller than that, 1/6 is 1.58mm. Maybe if I put a 1/16 allen in then torch expand it bigger after inside, will have enough grip. I don't know if worth the effort if drilling it out and get a replacement only cost $25 on amazon.

I had the same thing happen. I squirted some Kroil into the hole and while it was soaking went to the hardware store and bought a couple of small easy out bits, the kind you use a tap handle on. I figured one of them would be about the right size.
I stuck the end of the bit into the rounded out set screw socket head, tapped it lightly with a hammer a few times to make sure it "bit" and then it unscrewed right out.

I use a hex. They fit a hair tighter in allen screw heads, ironically. Have fixed issues like this using a tiny bit larger hex and muscling it in.

Drill end of handle so ya can just unscrew the Philips head screw out of the adapter. Ya have to get close to center of the handle to get to the screw. Usually those set screws are very hard and screw up the drill before much material is removed. Backing out that Phillips head screw is alot easier..
How do you drill into the tip of this "ice cream cone"?

Attachments

• 1652197218420.jpg
    1652197218420.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 4
How do you drill into the tip of this "ice cream cone"?
Usually with that style of handle the whole assy unscrews...trim and the handle together. The op was about that moen chateau or the positemp in the pic....not sure what your point since that style doesn't use set screws.

Usually with that style of handle the whole assy unscrews...trim and the handle together. The op was about that moen chateau or the positemp in the pic....not sure what your point since that style doesn't use set screws.
I'm the OP, and it definitely use set screws.

I'm the OP, and it definitely use set screws.
...that does not use set screws. The whole handle and trim remove together. Looks like a Delta that one buys the handle insert separately..either chrome or porcelain. Moen also has a newer style that the handle and trim are all one...whole assy simply unscrews reveling the cartridge.

...that does not use set screws. The whole handle and trim remove together. Looks like a Delta that one buys the handle insert separately..either chrome or porcelain. Moen also has a newer style that the handle and trim are all one...whole assy simply unscrews reveling the cartridge.
So this is similar to how it is on mine, same cartridge, different handle, but the black adapter is same (I have 3 shower / tub in my house and I've replaced 2 of them, this is the last one that failed somehow).

This is called a set screw, no?

That is not the handle in the other pic. If that particular moen handle has a bad set screw I would cut off the end of the handle leaving an opening for a phillips screw to be backed off. Then I would get another handle. I get a least 1 moen faucet to repair per week for the past 40 years. When running a home repair business there is no time for messing around with a stripped set screw. Grab the sawzall and cut off that sob...

Those moen positemp faucet cartridges usually shead some rubber into the hot and cold ports in the faucet body when pulling the cart. Sometimes the rubber binds up things so it cannot be removed just by the instructions. I get out the drill and drill the crap out of it...it is mostly plastic. Then it will come out. I bought the moen puller tool which helps greatly.

Most important is to turn on the water for a few seconds to flush out any remaining crap before installing the new cart. One must use the silicone grease that comes with the new cart to assist in the assembly.

Those positemps are sensitive to debris in the water...the rubber seals get torn easily. Folx with a water softener or whole house filter do better with the positemps...

Last edited:
So I got the replacement, drilled the handle out (took 1 hr), take the 90 degree adapter out but the whole cartridge broke. The cartridge's metal stem connecting to the handle was corroded and cracked mid way inside the cartridge.

Similar to this situation but the handle / adapter are already out:

I guess it's time to call a plumber.

Back