what to do: 2004 elantra gls trans problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
80 or 100K, to me it's about as good a [censored] as a rebuild unless you buy it from a dealer (OEM). I've seen too many "rebuilds" become failures in as much time.

Originally Posted By: Propflux01
80 or 100K, to me it's about as good a [censored] as a rebuild unless you buy it from a dealer (OEM). I've seen too many "rebuilds" become failures in as much time.

good point. i will pickup the car with re-build in today. hope no problems for some time....
i will set a good point for me to learn how to take a trans out of the car (just in case for next time...)
thanks for actually caring more for my money then me. that's why i love BITOG.
thanks again.

Originally Posted By: mclasser
I've heard from many mechanics that the Elantra's of this generation have fragile transmissions. If the fluid isn't frequently serviced, one could have issues. Even with maintenance, it's the luck of the draw. I have an 05 Elantra with 80k miles on the clock. The trans. is still good despite only one fluid change at 50k miles but who knows what the future has in store.

they are not fragile. people do not pay attention with the fluids that the transmission requires. either OEM hyundai, or vavoline maxlife are usable for XD, XD2, spectra's, etc.

also the speed sensors tend to go out after awhile, but that is a-typical for most vehicles.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
Originally Posted By: mclasser
I've heard from many mechanics that the Elantra's of this generation have fragile transmissions. If the fluid isn't frequently serviced, one could have issues. Even with maintenance, it's the luck of the draw. I have an 05 Elantra with 80k miles on the clock. The trans. is still good despite only one fluid change at 50k miles but who knows what the future has in store.

they are not fragile. people do not pay attention with the fluids that the transmission requires. either OEM hyundai, or vavoline maxlife are usable for XD, XD2, spectra's, etc.
also the speed sensors tend to go out after awhile, but that is a-typical for most vehicles.

in my case, i did a drain-n-fill with SPIII (OEM) at 54k miles and a drain-n-fill with a mix of SPIII and castrol mV import at 67K miles.
the color of the spiii that came out at 67k was pretty good. the muddy stuff it came out at 54k looked like original. guess i paid for 30k service and did not have it.

A mix of Castrol IMV and OEM SP-III is exactly what i'm using in my 2000 mitsubishi eclipse right now. After reading that your trans failed with that mix,im sweating now.

Originally Posted By: vtecboy
A mix of Castrol IMV and OEM SP-III is exactly what i'm using in my 2000 mitsubishi eclipse right now. After reading that your trans failed with that mix,im sweating now.

It isn't the mixture of those fluids that is the problem.

Transmissions found in that car and in your car just aren't very good

Originally Posted By: vtecboy

my opinion (driving the car for 70k/6 years): it wasn't the fluid or fluid mix (not burned color , no burn smell, color pretty good) it's just parts failing.
seems to be typical for some of the mitsubishi trans or that generation.
but also there are the ones that never change the fluid and get 200k.
so drive, enjoy, and fix as they come.

Update:
90k miles (about 1,500 on rebuilt)
looks OK.
got some mileage back (probably nut behind the wheel drives a bit "feathery" and probably changed to summer gas blends in my area)
will see if new car virus hits or not.
for now the plan is keep on driving (KED :))

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back