what to do: 2004 elantra gls trans problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
hello BITOGers,
my DD elantra (2004, 88k, automatic, owned for the last 6 years and 70K miles, moved to 3 locations) is having some problems, either transmission (or around transmission): random hard shift into 2nd and very hard "shake all the car- scary" shift 2nd to 3rd.
fluid looked clean, no burn smell. no warning lights. trans shop changed the fluid (drain-and-fill by price, also they didn't read ANY codes), worked fine for 1.5 days, then this morning again did the shaking.
now in transmission shop waiting for diagnose.
if it turns out to be a rebuild trans +- change torque convertor how long would you fellow BITOGers keep it?

Thank you for your kind words and time

P.S.for Dave Ramsey/financial advice folks: car is long paid off!

My F150 did the hard shift from 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to 4th right before it cost me a new transmission. You may need to have it rebuilt or replaced, but make sure the trans shop used the right fluid too.

Call H Corporate office they may gave you a break, and help you with the cost of a new transmission. They have have 100k / 5 year Powertrain warranty. They are not obligated to do anything, but it won't hurt to call them. They may require you to take it to the dealership.

Do you know if the trans shop used the right ATF for your car?

Good luck

Yeah good luck with Hyundai picking up any portion of the tab, Hyundai barely extends warranty coverage to the original owner.

Hyundai is outstanding as far as warranty goes, but you have to follow their rules. If you are a DIY guy and don't keep meticulous records, then you are shooting yourself in the foot. It is not a failure of the manufacturer to follow through.
The biggest issue customers have with warranty is that they do not understand the terms and conditions of their limited warranty, i.e. brakes are 12 months/12k, radios are 3yrs/36k. Sensors are not part of the powertrain, so all of them are 5yrs/60k, even if they are essential to keeping the vehicle running.
So, if your brake pads wear out at 25k, there is absolutely nothing wrong with them not being covered by Hyundai. It is not the dealer's job to advocate for you, or cover the parts if Hyundai doesn't. The dealer always gets paid, either by the owner or by Hyundai.
The customer's failure to learn and follow their warranty terms and conditions is the most obligatory form of OPERATOR ERROR.
As for the OP, you need a transmission. Depending on the DPSM in your region and the availability of service record on the vehicle, Hyundai may offer help, if not, you gave it a shot. Elantras of that generation do go through transmissions if the fluid is not changed frequently. Severe service calls for every 30k. Hyundai SP-III is just Dexron III with a friction modifier.

Last edited:
you must work for them. they said their paint was better than Mercedes. bought it.
brought car w/ numerous paint issues to them; they said " you bought a hail damaged car, what did you expect?" the issues were where no hail could get to it - "must be rock chips!" were ON BACK END OF CAR -"must be poor maintenance"- HYUNDAI is NOT OUTSTANDING as regards WARRANTY except in Their lack of SUPPORT THEREOF. I own one , I know.

Those transmissions are known for a 2-3 shift flare. Not sure if there was a fix, or how to get it applied if there was one.

I hope the shop changed the fluid with the right stuff. Those transmissions were very picky which fluids they worked with. Generic Dex/Merc ate those transmissions from the inside out...

Everyone I know replaces their Hyundai or Kia transmission between 70-100,000 miles. They have weak plastics parts throughout where metal parts need to be for better wear. Looks like another one will bite the dust. Sorry for your luck.

Friend of mine had a Santa Fe with the 4 speed auto (not sure if it's the same one) and it had a 2-3 Shift Flare. Changing to ATF+3 or +4 (can't remember) seemed to give it a very harsh 2-3 shift.

Ultimately, they were pretty [censored] trans to begin with. It may just be giving up the ghost.

All the Hyundai 2-3 shift flares? I'll add mine then, on the 2009 Sonata with 5-speed automatic. Flare then slam, began when new before it had 400 miles. Dealer insists nothing is wrong with it.
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: salv
Hyundai is outstanding as far as warranty goes, but you have to follow their rules. If you are a DIY guy and don't keep meticulous records, then you are shooting yourself in the foot.

did the first 5 oil changes at the dealer i bought used.(3monts/3k) than did the rest myself.
pretty easy. also changed brakes (where always soft)
As for the OP, you need a transmission. Depending on the DPSM in your region and the availability of service record on the vehicle, Hyundai may offer help, if not, you gave it a shot. Elantras of that generation do go through transmissions if the fluid is not changed frequently. Severe service calls for every 30k. Hyundai SP-III is just Dexron III with a friction modifier.

yes, i was afraid so.
fluid said by the dealer to be serviced at 30k.color didn't change so i guess they didn't change anything. at 54 k changed drain and refill with spiii (wow some muddy stuff came out....), then at 67k dumped 1 last quart of spiii and the rest castrol multi-vehicle import.

Originally Posted By: LineArrayNut
you must work for them. they said their paint was better than Mercedes. bought it.
brought car w/ numerous paint issues to them; they said " you bought a hail damaged car, what did you expect?" the issues were where no hail could get to it - "must be rock chips!" were ON BACK END OF CAR -"must be poor maintenance"- HYUNDAI is NOT OUTSTANDING as regards WARRANTY except in Their lack of SUPPORT THEREOF. I own one , I know.

yes poor paint. + bad neighbors with bad parking skills...
still love the car

Originally Posted By: sciphi
Those transmissions are known for a 2-3 shift flare. Not sure if there was a fix, or how to get it applied if there was one.

there are some TSB about some computer updates to cure that.
mine got cured (it was more like a delay, "let me think for 2 seconds", denied as a problem by that dealer) by changing the fluid.

Hyundai SP-III is just Dexron III with a friction modifier.

you forgot to tell about the tracers and that they test for other fluids present in the transmission in warranty period.

Originally Posted By: BearZDefect
All the Hyundai 2-3 shift flares? I'll add mine then, on the 2009 Sonata with 5-speed automatic. Flare then slam, began when new before it had 400 miles. Dealer insists nothing is wrong with it.
lol.gif

there are 2 TSB concerning this!!!
can you have it checked by a different dealer?
some may care for a returning customer....

I have not been to another dealer, but the software updates (most recent applied a month ago) for our 2009 Sonata did nothing for the shift flare and slam. I really wish that was the cure. I wouldn't say it's thinking, it's simply lost in neutral (due to some malfunction I suppose) while the computer thinks it has shifted, and would flare to redline if it weren't for the electronic throttle control. The problem is inconsistent, and despite my efforts, I cannot pin it down to some combination of variables.

we must be lucky (so far) - my wife's 2003 Elantra is still going strong and no transmission prob's at 209k miles now...
smile.gif

KNOCKING HEAVILY ON WOOD!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back