What the heck are Radar tires?

A single Mom friend needed new rubber on her '98 Accord LX 4 banger; she's in Woodland, by Sac.
A shop near her place had Radar Dimax e-Touring. 60K warranty...
$65 a pop, $450 all in including alignment. The alignment turned out to be spot on...
Does anyone have experience with these?

Thanks in advance!
1645235572979.jpg

Douglas at Walmart $10 a pop cheaper and made by Goodyear in the USA. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Douglas-All-Season-195-65R15-91H-Tire/49021618 Did they tell her she needed the alignment to warranty the tires?
I asked the shop for the alignment. I always align with a new set of rubber. Buy once cry once, as they say...
Cindy sent me a pic of the right front tire; the outer edge was worn. I figured the camber was tilted out. But I didn't see the entire tread width; both edges were worn. Classic underinflation...
I saw the alignment print out; everything was spot on. $79 for the alignment. I had it aligned 60K ago when I gave her the car. I put Falken Ziex tires on; it ran great!
1645239984928.jpg

I asked the shop for the alignment. I always align with a new set of rubber. Buy once cry once, as they say...
Cindy sent me a pic of the right front tire; the outer edge was worn. I figured the camber was tilted out. But I didn't see the entire tread width; both edges were worn. Classic underinflation...
I saw the alignment print out; everything was spot on. $79 for the alignment. I had it aligned 60K ago when I gave her the car. I put Falken Ziex tires on; it ran great!
View attachment 89433
Not necessarily under inflation.. Some cars will feather the outside front wheel (drive) tires if not rotated regularly.

Not necessarily under inflation.. Some cars will feather the outside front wheel (drive) tires if not rotated regularly.
Yeah, could be. The tires were not regularly rotated, I last did it maybe 6 months ago.
I don't remember an issue... But who the heck knows?

Will both edges feather? Here a (lousy) pic....
1645247941443.jpg

Yeah, could be. The tires were not regularly rotated, I last did it maybe 6 months ago.
I don't remember an issue... But who the heck knows?

Will both edges feather? Here a (lousy) pic....
View attachment 89444
Honestly I have no explanation because-

How Do Underinflated Tires Wear?​

Rubber on poor-to-moderate-inflated tires wears out on the outer edges of the tread, while rubber on tires that are over-inflated wears away on the inner side. If you keep incorrect inflation pressure you might actually wear out your tires faster.

Other than possible front end issues-but then it was in alignment.......

Uneven Wear on Front Tires​

Should you notice the inner or outer edges of your front tires wearing down quicker than the rest of the tread, worn ball joints are a likely cause. This symptom can be difficult to catch; if you become aware of any other signs of ball joint failure, check your tires carefully and pay close attention to the inner treads. Wear must appear on either the inner or outer tread, not both, to signify worn-out front ball joints. Under-inflation of tires will cause both edges to wear out faster.

Douglas at Walmart $10 a pop cheaper and made by Goodyear in the USA. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Douglas-All-Season-195-65R15-91H-Tire/49021618 Did they tell her she needed the alignment to warranty the tires?
Had them when I crush the car, they are so bad I'd rather buy used tires instead.

I remember it was even worse than the Wynstar Phaser R23 (Chinese, ended up brought by Michelin as they know what they are doing and they make decent tires despite being a Chinese company) I used to have on the same car.

Stay away from Douglas.

60k warranty sounds good to me. It’s a 98 accord, can’t go much higher than that tbh

60k means nothing to me--I take off around 4/32’s as wet traction is falling off. The much vaunted Michelin’s will retain a fair amount of wet traction below that, but will these?

I get it, single mom living where a bad weather day means its overcast. Can’t hurt to try, I doubt if she going to push the outer limits on these.

Back