What should I do with "extra" oil?

I'm going to be getting a 2019 Kia Sportage (2.4l) someday this week, after its been through service. It has 98k miles and looks to be in really good shape.

I'm going to change the oil to Valvoline Restore and Protect 5W30. But I have this jug of Quaker State 5W40 Euro Oil and I was wondering what's the best thing to do with it? It's a 5 qt system and I believe the jug has just under 4qts, so not enough for a full fill. I'm conflicted on what to do with it.

- Mix it with the Valvoline? 20/80, Or 50/50, perhaps?
- Use it as a top off?
- Something else?

I myself am leaning towards mixing the two, using the Euro oil like an additive. But what does BITOG think? Y'all are smarter than me

Mixing is not good, IMO.

Why do anything with it. Do you not have enough shelf space?

Are you never going to run QS again?

Do you have a gun?

Use it all up however you want. Guess you could use 2 quarts of 5w-40 and the rest with 5w-30.

Seems like a sound approach. How did you arrive at that ratio specifically? Just curious, I get it if it's not that complex.

Mixing is not good, IMO.

Why do anything with it. Do you not have enough shelf space?

Are you never going to run QS again?

Do you have a gun?

Why is mixing not good, in your opinion? I've done it before with QSUP as a top off oil for Amsoil SS (because the latter is EXPENSIVE, at least for me it was). I know other users do it problem free. What's your experience been like with mixing?

I would love to run Quaker State, I'm a big fan of their products. I use with confidence, but I would rather use the Valvoline Restore and Protect, for at least 4 oil changes or so, because of the cleaning, and how its cheaper and more readily available than HPL, which will probably be the next oil I use.

And no, sadly I have no gun. Why do you ask? 😅

I'm going to be getting a 2019 Kia Sportage (2.4l) someday this week, after its been through service. It has 98k miles and looks to be in really good shape.

I'm going to change the oil to Valvoline Restore and Protect 5W30. But I have this jug of Quaker State 5W40 Euro Oil and I was wondering what's the best thing to do with it?
That 5w40 is better for your 2.4 (mine too) than 5w30. Use it in the summer and the Valvoline when colder weather ensues.

Personally, I would not buy that SUV. The connecting rod bearings on it are going to go prematurely. They show most failures between 80-120k.

If you must, you can buy mine. Almost new condition with 39k on it and I've kept the engine pristine with new upper-tier oils every 3k. PM me if you like. I probably live 4-5 hours from you.

Last edited:
Seems like a sound approach. How did you arrive at that ratio specifically? Just curious, I get it if it's not that complex.

Why is mixing not good, in your opinion? I've done it before with QSUP as a top off oil for Amsoil SS (because the latter is EXPENSIVE, at least for me it was). I know other users do it problem free. What's your experience been like with mixing?

I would love to run Quaker State, I'm a big fan of their products. I use with confidence, but I would rather use the Valvoline Restore and Protect, for at least 4 oil changes or so, because of the cleaning, and how its cheaper and more readily available than HPL, which will probably be the next oil I use.

And no, sadly I have no gun. Why do you ask? 😅
you've got 4 quarts so just half and half. euro oil still cleans pretty well. There's nothing wrong with mixing oils. It could be unfavorable but not harmful if you're mixing something that's group 2 with something that's mostly group 4 with a bit of 3 but both of these oils use similar enough base stocks. Additives are just slightly higher on euro oils. There's nothing wrong with mixing oils. Especially these two since they're not far apart.

If I mix oils - and I don’t any more - I would stick with the same family, e.g. Mobil mixed with Mobil, QS mixed with QS, so that the additive chemistry is the same.

All oils are miscible. That is they can be mixed without harm.

But nobody guarantees the performance of the additives when you do so.

If it were me, I would buy another quart of the Quaker State 5W40 Euro - change the oil, no mixing.

Or take that jug, pour it in the recycling at the auto parts store and move on. We are talking about $20 of oil here, not a million dollar decision.

I'm going to change the oil to Valvoline Restore and Protect 5W30. But I have this jug of Quaker State 5W40 Euro Oil and I was wondering what's the best thing to do with it? It's a 5 qt system and I believe the jug has just under 4qts, so not enough for a full fill. I'm conflicted on what to do with it.

- Mix it with the Valvoline? 20/80, Or 50/50, perhaps?
- Use it as a top off?
- Something else?

I myself am leaning towards mixing the two, using the Euro oil like an additive. But what does BITOG think? Y'all are smarter than me

I’m taking donations so you can send it to me. Will treat the posts on my porch and or use it in spare ford focus.

If I mix oils - and I don’t any more - I would stick with the same family, e.g. Mobil mixed with Mobil, QS mixed with QS, so that the additive chemistry is the same.

All oils are miscible. That is they can be mixed without harm.

But nobody guarantees the performance of the additives when you do so.

If it were me, I would buy another quart of the Quaker State 5W40 Euro - change the oil, no mixing.

Or take that jug, pour it in the recycling at the auto parts store and move on. We are talking about $20 of oil here, not a million dollar decision.
The Red...

A mix of 80/20 is fine.
It's not like you're mixing greases.
It's also not like ;) being on oil pan #4....

Like Astro mentioned, best to stick with the same brand name and similar certs when mixing.
It's fun playing Dr Frankenblend. I'm already anxious for putting on my Frankenblend Halloween Night trick & treating costume.

Just follow my black drops from block-to-block on Oct 31.

All my small engines LOVE the left over good stuff.

riding mower, push mower, tiller, backpack blower, portable gensets.

I leave the 20 out of any mixes and keep all the air cooled stuff to 30 something and above standardizing on 0W-40 when filling from scratch.
Was just going to say, use the QS 5W40 for your small engines --- lawn mower/riding mower/etc..

YMMV and your choice, of course.

If I were you, I would just use 2 qt of QS each time "just because" - no science.

I have mixed more than a few times to get rid of leftovers. The last one was PP 0W 20 (4.5 qt) + Castrol 10W 30 (0.5) + M1 0W 40 (0.5) and but proportionally almost meaningless (I think) as I was just trying to get rid of leftovers.

It's also not like ;) being on oil pan #4....

Like Astro mentioned, best to stick with the same brand name and similar certs when mixing.
It's fun playing Dr Frankenblend. I'm already anxious for putting on my Frankenblend Halloween Night trick & treating costume.

Just follow my black drops from block-to-block on Oct 31.
Ok so what bad thing happens when different oils are mixed?

Back