what should I do about my manager?

Status
Not open for further replies.
option 5, make any changes needed to the SOP then send it back to the Sr VP or with a reply all. When the stuff hits the fan it was either an "accident" or a "misunderstanding".

Wow - what a thread!

Originally Posted By: the underling
She's an old bag, late 50's or early 60's

That sucks.
Only dude? You are dead meat. There would be no way in Sam Hoot you can form a pirate like mutiny with the hens.
That last SOP memo, I would turn it into a piece of art, perfect in every way. Then discuss it with the top boss and send it to him.
Have resumé ready.

OR just take it like a happy man, and keep a PH file.

Maybe "innocently" send an email to the top boss explaining that your boss passed it on to you and in the interest of doing good work you wanted to establish a direct line of communication.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Quote:
everyone's boss does it. they delegate.

Sure they do. There's a difference between motivating your subordinates and flogging them to death. The best way to get someone to perform miracles it to give them recognition for it. That's often all it takes. People like to feel appreciated ..not milked for what they're worth. The pay is the same. The demands are the same. Only the demeanor is altered.

In Cutehumor's instance, it appears that he's doing her job for her so that she can screw off.
Agree 1000%.

My boss (and his boss) are two of the biggest problem children I've ever seen. I stay on the night shift just so I don't have to "deal" with them.

If I worked days, I'd either get arrested (but am sure I can find 12 people to find me innocent
grin2.gif
) or fired. They send us to "classes" (and sit with us) to show our employees how much we appreciate them but they flog us beyond belief.

I've never seen work place harassment in such fine fashion. Sadly, the state would never do anything about it so why bother?

If we were a private company, things could be done.

Oh well. In today's world.. Be happy with having a "job". There are very few careers.

Bill

PS: Also agree with Pablo. You are toast trying to do anything with a female manager. If you want to make a splash on a departure then go for it. But it will follow you around. Even in states that all they can do is verify your employment dates only.

Originally Posted By: Kestas
More important than your performance review, does your company have a system in place that gives you the opportunity to formally review your boss? We do. You could probably write a chapter on your boss. Start now.

Even if you don't have such a system in place, compose a review of your boss, listing the things you mentioned here. In fact, keep a running diary to document what is going on. It'll help you compose your thoughts. When the time finally comes that an opportunity arises where you get discussion with Human Resources or her manager, you can have this document under your arm to present to her superiors. Thoughts and details have a way of evaporating when you're face to face with her superiors. I'll admit that I'm not quick with my mouth.

I once did something similar with a colleague that was harassing me. The detailed documentation I presented weighed heavily with my case (that, and witnesses).

+1

I would document everything. For all you know, upper management might think she's incompetent and borderline as well. I would just bide my time and wait out the recession and then look for greener pastures. Until then, play "the game" but document everything and CYA. If things get hot and heavy -and if you feel you have nothing to lose- consider a visit to human resources...

office-space-bobbleheads.jpg

At the moment you have to put up with it. However keep the prove that you did the actual work so when it is time to either ask for a promotion you can use that as prove or get around her and get noticed for the credit you deserved.

Keep the communication trail for future reference.

I like Tom Slicks' passive aggressive approaches.

I would actually print out emails and hide them, if interrogated just say you follow things better on paper than on screen.

A few things:

- Never publicly embarrass her in front of her superiors.
- Tell her in diplomatic terms that you'd like acknowledgment for these discoveries. Allow some time for change. If nothing, tell her calmly you'll need to elevate this to Director level. Be cool, detached and professional.

EDIT: Only male in the group? Hmmm ... advice still applies but that's a difficult workplace environment IMO. I like dem ladies, but I prefer working with the boyz.

I was talking to a coworker of mine today. She told me that in our meeting yesterday, when we listened to our manager's diatribe rant yesterday, she said my legs were moving up and down frantically like I had restless leg syndrome. I was so mad yesterday, I didn't realize I was even doing it. I do that sometimes when I'm anxious or nervous. My manager left me alone today finally. She was in meetings all day. She's going to be off to see her grandkid graduating high school this weekend, she won't be back until next Tuesday.
happy2.gif

I also found out that her friend worked at the same company that our manager worked at. Her friend said that our manager was l-a-z-y, all she did there was kiss !@#.

Funny thing, She also said that yesterday the Sr. VP saw her at the printer after 6pm. She said she noticed that a couple of my manager's team members stay late at work not like the other departments. She didn't quite understand why.
crackmeup2.gif

I got both of those tidbits from the same person. So I just listen, smile, and collect the information
grin2.gif

Working for an [censored] kisser is not bad if she is fending off the political rival for your dept. Now if she blame everything on you guys, well, then that's another story.

Keep gathering all the evidence and see if there is a way you can use it to your advantage in the future, whether you bargain for higher pay or try to get her position for yourself. Just make sure you time it right and have proves.

It is possible that her boss know about this too, but allow this to happen. In that case you got to be very careful before reporting her.

Last edited:
Everyone wants the trains to stay on time. That's why you always (typically) lose whenever there's some grievance brought to light. It can get rather Machiavellian. There's an impedance to upsetting the status quo. When you start seeing her getting anxious and putting out fires constantly, then you know that someone grown tired of dealing with her and is setting her up to fail.

Stuff rolls down hill.

Originally Posted By: tom slick
Maybe "innocently" send an email to the top boss explaining that your boss passed it on to you and in the interest of doing good work you wanted to establish a direct line of communication.

+100

Originally Posted By: eljefino
I like Tom Slicks' passive aggressive approaches.

I would actually print out emails and hide them, if interrogated just say you follow things better on paper than on screen.

I very much agree. I really like forwarding the email back to everyone with your thoughts, cutehumor. Make it very well known but in a subtle way that your boss gave you the letter when she wasn't supposed to and you're doing her work.

Last edited:
This sounds like my internship at a large CPA firm. 3 over aggressive type A male partners, one of their sons, and the rest about 15 females. After digging a little deeper, I could see that several other guys had worked there for about 6 months each and quit.

No offense to females, but I'm telling you, a cliche group of them in a professional office setting - the utter lack of maturity is worse then a kindergarten playground, especially if there's only a few males around. Must be payback for centuries of male domination where physical strength was the only thing needed in "the workplace".

Next time she gives you an assignment, just tell her that now's not a good time; you've got a meeting with the Bobs in a few minutes..

Originally Posted By: wavinwayne
Next time she gives you an assignment, just tell her that now's not a good time; you've got a meeting with the Bob's in a few minutes..

crackmeup2.gif
And make sure and go "pffffffffffffffffffft"

Originally Posted By: wavinwayne
Next time she gives you an assignment, just tell her that now's not a good time; you've got a meeting with the Bobs in a few minutes..
And I'm still kicking myself for forgetting to say "good luck with the rest of your layoff's" when I got my 60-day notice back in 2003!!

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
....No offense to females, but I'm telling you, a cliche group of them in a professional office setting - the utter lack of maturity is worse then a kindergarten playground, especially if there's only a few males around. Must be payback for centuries of male domination where physical strength was the only thing needed in "the workplace".

I have to agree.

I've worked with women over the years, I've reported to women over the years, but my current job is the only one where I've been outgunned (I'm the only male in a department of 15 people). The cattiness, nonsense, and so forth that I have to see and deal with is just astounding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back