what should I do about my manager?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: mva
You need to realize that your primary job is to make your Manager look good.

It's too bad that she doesn't appear to give you credit but keep working hard and doing your job well and it will eventually pay off.

In the meantime you might want to look at job opportunities elsewhere.

I am a Manager. I got to be one by making sure my useless boss was always successful. And if I was more positive I would probably be even higher up the totem pole.

This is probably the best advice here, especially the first sentence. Your job is to make sure your manager does his/her job well.

If you follow the other advices about letting her superiors know that it was you who created the slide deck, you probably won't last too long - you are expected to build the slide deck or whatever is necessary get the job done.

But if you think that the environment is toxic, start looking for another place to work. But sometimes when you think the grass is greener somewhere else, it is not.

You may need to start taking the back-brief approach via email, to document all those things she required you to do in lieu of other productivity goals, and to make sure you understand the tasks assigned. It has always worked great for us as an organization, because our supervisory level if 900 miles away from us. I am not concerned about documenting the extra work as I am about making sure I understand what the expected products are. In your case, this technique achieves two purposes, one of communication confirmation, and the other is to show what you were ordered to do in addition to meeting productivity standards.

Originally Posted By: CivicFan

It's too bad that she doesn't appear to give you credit but keep working hard and doing your job well and it will eventually pay off.

I am a Manager. I got to be one by making sure my useless boss was always successful. And if I was more positive I would probably be even higher up the totem pole.

This is probably the best advice here, especially the first sentence. Your job is to make sure your manager does his/her job well.

If you follow the other advices about letting her superiors know that it was you who created the slide deck, you probably won't last too long - you are expected to build the slide deck or whatever is necessary get the job done.

But if you think that the environment is toxic, start looking for another place to work. But sometimes when you think the grass is greener somewhere else, it is not.

It is? What exactly is he getting out of making his manager "look good" by doing her work for her? And then have to neglect his own assignments?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh
Originally Posted By: CivicFan

It is? What exactly is he getting out of making his manager "look good" by doing her work for her? And then have to neglect his own assignments?

It's iffy, but he is the one that allows her to screw off like she does. It depends on if he's just being the one dumped on to keep her butt in the chair of leisure ..or if he's the only one that can handle the load.

If he's chosen out of capability, then he's very secure, she's just not letting him know his value. If he's just being beat on ..as an alternative for the collective poison of the "coup" ..then it's another issue.

Much depends on if she's upward or laterally mobile. This may be the end of the road for her. If it is, then he's not much to look forward to except more of the same.

Best advice:

Withhold the work to the superiors. No, seriously. When they go looking for it, and rail her for not getting it done, intervene with a "Excuse me folks, perhaps you're looking for this report that she made me do, because she apparently is too busy with other items."

Where I work, that'd be an instant dismissal for her, and you to replace her position. Keep that in mind.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
[
It's iffy, but he is the one that allows her to screw off like she does. It depends on if he's just being the one dumped on to keep her butt in the chair of leisure ..or if he's the only one that can handle the load.

If he's chosen out of capability, then he's very secure, she's just not letting him know his value. If he's just being beat on ..as an alternative for the collective poison of the "coup" ..then it's another issue.

Much depends on if she's upward or laterally mobile. This may be the end of the road for her. If it is, then he's not much to look forward to except more of the same.

It's kinda both. I'm doing her work because she knows I'm a hard worker/perfectionist type, I'll make her look good. I'm the outside man too, I don't gossip. Maybe she does it because she thinks I won't say anything?? I believe it's the end of the road for her career wise. She's in early 60's. I'm only 31 years old (but when I first started there, some people thought I was 23 yrs old
shocked2.gif
)

another co-worker told me that my manager covers for another lazy co-worker of mine. She never gets on her about her productivity. She spends all day socializing with everyone throughout the office. This co-worker said she was all "smoke and mirrors". She acts like she's doing alot of work by getting into everyone's cases, but doesn't do anything. She said my manager and this other co-worker are "BFFs"

I guess for now I'll stick it out. My manager is in her early 60's (estimate), hopefully will retire in a few years, so I can take her place.
grin2.gif

You need to read "The Art of War". The B & N classic edition will be the quickest read. It'll be the best $9 you ever spent and will assist you in many future dealings with sphincters. Widely read by top tier managers, who, if they ever had an idea, it would die of loneliness.

Philip: I am well versed in the art of war
Longshanks: I see, and what would you do here ...
Philip: AHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh (thunk)

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Philip: I am well versed in the art of war
Longshanks: I see, and what would you do here ...
Philip: AHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh (thunk)

Sweet.

Gosh this thread makes me ill. It's hard to imagine dealing with all this. I'm so thankful I get to deal with wonderful people all day. Gary Your the BEST!

I'll post some comments later, but there's a lot going on here. Have a look at these links for some good advice. Most are short videos on mgmt.

Managing up - http://www.bnet.com/2422-13722_23-221516.html?promo=713&tag=nl.e713

Manager undercuts your authority - http://www.bnet.com/2422-13722_23-265268.html

Coworkers taking credit for your ideas - http://www.bnet.com/2422-13722_23-265271.html

confronting your boss - http://www.bnet.com/2422-13722_23-265271.html

Saying no - http://www.bnet.com/2422-13722_23-265271.html

That'll keep you busy.

Originally Posted By: Cutehumor
I was so angry about this one that I forgot about it, I woke up this morning thinking about it. Before I left yesterday, she sent me a 20 paged single spaced word document for me to read. She wanted me to read it and mail her any comments. not a big deal right?

But the original email was sent from the Sr VP on changes in the "Standard Operating Procedures" of our unit. It was emailed from to the Sr VP to the six Directors and to the six Managers to make them aware of the changes. We peons were not included in the email. The original email asked all of management to "Please read, if you have any comments or suggestions, let me know thanks". Within five minutes, my manager forwards the Sr. VP email to me to read the 20 paged single space document with all of that technical legal bable, comment, and email back to her what I think.
mad.gif

I got three options. A) Pretend that I didn't receive her email. B) tell her that I received it but I was busting my butt on my productivity that I didn't have time to read it. C) run to the men's bathroom whenever I see her
LOL.gif

I want to go to a car show today but while this is fresh in my mind, let me throw out some thoughts.

1. Being angry is not helping you. This is a job. It's business. Keep it professional and look at everything from a business perspective. If you can't separate your emotions from the work, you will NEVER find a sense of balance. Find a way to chill out ASAP.

2. Ok, so your boss dumps an analysis project on your desk. So? Is that what you're supposed to be doing? If the task is far beyond your work role, you have two choices.

a) Kick it back to your boss and tell her its over your head or beyond your skill set. Truth is, there are plenty of things the grunt worker doesn't need to know or know how to do.

b) Do the work and consider it a learning experience. You say she's close to retirement age. OK, do you want her job? Seriously. If you want to move up in your company (or another) you need to know how to do stuff like this. Learn now and you'll have another promotable skill. Don't learn it and your future boss might learn that you're not as competent as they thought you were.

2. I agree with those who say your role is to make your boss look good. They are going to be the people who not only manage you but suggest you for promotions and give you a positive referral if you decide to move on. Imagine your boss and the VP talking about future employee moves. Do you want your boss to speak highly of you to the VP? Do you want the VP to have a good impression of you, thinking, "ya know, that cutehumor is a real go-getter. I think he'd make a good dept mgr someday". If so, do whatever it takes to make the people above you look good. It'll trickle downhill someday.

3. If you want to move up, you need to show that you can handle more responsibility than your coworkers. You need to display a positive attitude in doing it, and you need to do solid, high quality work every opportunity. Definitely keep track of all the work you've done and use it when you get a chance to brag about yourself. If you get an "attaboy", document it. If you feel there is no future with this company, you still need to be able to demonstrate you can handle a high workload that's above your basic role.

That's all for now. I'll edit in more thoughts later.

Quote:
Do you want your boss to speak highly of you to the VP?

subset in observations of predatory human behavior (just for balance):

"Don't be surprised if your boss bad mouths you if you seek an advancement or lateral movement within the company. She's not beyond attempting to hold on to her cash cow of slave labor and sabotage your attempts to leave. A secondary side effect of you moving will be the risk that you expose her for the fraud that she is once you're out from under her direct supervision."

Wow, lots of wisdom and good advice here in response to a very complex situation.

On a simpler note, when I was a young pup whining about these types of issues, a wise old man told me "if you work hard only to please others, you will forever be unhappy. If you work hard to please yourself, you will achieve a sense of satisfaction no one else can give you".

In the world of ivory tower, egotistic scholars that I have worked for/with over 32 years, this simple concept has stayed with me and helped me keep balanced and relieve some of the frustration.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
Wow, lots of wisdom and good advice here in response to a very complex situation.

On a simpler note, when I was a young pup whining about these types of issues, a wise old man told me "if you work hard only to please others, you will forever be unhappy. If you work hard to please yourself, you will achieve a sense of satisfaction no one else can give you".

I can honestly say that is one of the best things I've read on a message board lately...

There is a lot of great advice in this thread that may or may not apply here. But my personal experience leads me to believe that working to make a boss look good only works when that boss shows a propensity to reciprocate and reward one's diligence. If this person is as fundamentally dishonest, lazy, selfish and superficial as she appears to be, I doubt she'll ever talk one up or do one iota for anyone other than her BFFs. And I certainly would never trust her to do so nor leave my professional reputation in her hands because she MIGHT feel appreciative..

That being said, it's a tough market right now and one has to do what one has to do to survive. So the thread starter should do whatever he feels he has to in order to keep his job and wait this person out. But before bending-over and doing her scope of work for her based on a hypothetical situation where she might say nice things about you and whatnot, I would communicate some expectations in a subtle but direct manner about tangible rewards, such as getting your name on the report and at least getting some credit for assisting her. Talk is cheap, accreditation for work performed is what goes on your resume at the end of the day...

Last edited:
Update: My manager got demoted. she will become a peon like me on 6/21st, but in another department. she played it off and said in our meeting that it was her choice and she asked to be reassigned. Uh, since I've been working at home since 10/09. She couldn't assign us "projects" to do her work, so the upper management probably saw how stupid she really is. Finally, some good news in my life
banana2.gif

I've only been at my job for 8.5 months. Before I didn't notice these things, now they are piling up. My manager was assigned to create a powerpoint presentation on what our team does and our duties. She tells me to create the powerpoint and email it to her. When I completed it, she emails me back to make corrections and resend. her director is the one who told her to create a powerpoint presentation. How do I know this? last week, I inadvertly received the email from the director to my manager for her to complete it because their was something wrong with her outlook email box.

Today, she tells me to do a case audit on a coworker. These audits are monthly. She asks me to do 5 case audits and email the results to her. She verifies my findings and puts her name on the audit. I get no credit. I had a private meeting with her a few months ago, she complained about doing monthly audits and how much "work" it was. She said the company needs to create another department for auditing.
mad.gif

Last week, I brought up a major error with our cases. She blew it off. I told her about it again, she blew it off. I actually had to go to her computer to pull up the file and highlight it. Then she contacted some higher ups and found out I was right. It would have been costly penalty wise in the thousands if I didn't insist. Yet she sends an email to our whole team and says "Dear team, I made a shocking discovery, that we are not to include a doctor ???" She took credit for the whole thing!!! It made me so mad. The email included our director of operations too!

How do I continously deal with this? Is there anything I can do about this? or do I have to put up with it?

All she does is complain about my productivity. While I'm so freakin busy doing her work. Personally, I think my manager is incompetent.
mad.gif

That is the pattern of a serial bully

"is a plagiarist, steals other people's work - and the credit for it"

http://bullyonline.org/workbully/serial.htm

yeah, a co-worker told me "you notice that she didn't email you or instant message about doing the powerpoint, she came to you in person and told you. So their won't be a written record that she asked you to do it"

I'm trying to figure out a subtle way of dropping hints to senior management...

Thats easy...get an email trail. I don't do anything without an email.

"Oh I forgot"..."Oh, didn't you mean this instead"...etc

I've had several bosses that used my work. Once you have the email trail (and as long as you can line up something else) you can take on the boss.

Originally Posted By: TooManyWheels
I think I would do a little "marketing" - a periodic update to your bosses boss, showing all the things that you are accomplishing...

including the ones he thinks she is doing.

Bingo!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back