what oils do YOUR cars like?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Having run most of the major conventional and some of the synthetics...the only thing I have ever noticed is my Outback tends to be a little quieter on oils with a higher Moly content (SM Formula Shell and SN Pennzoil). The classic Subaru piston slap and little tick the engine has had for the past 65k miles calm down faster.

My 2011 Ram w 4.7, and wife's Versa liked Schaeffer's 7000 in 5w20, and 5w30. SMOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOTH! Just bought a 2014 Mazda CX-5 w Skyactiv 2.5. Can't wait

Originally Posted By: RiceCake
I wasn't aware my car had moods. In general it seems to carry on totally happy regardless of what I put in it.

The wife on the other hand...

I'll say the same has been true for every vehicle I've owned, which is probably 60-70 or more that were actual daily drivers...

Basically it goes like this... "You'll get what I choose to give you and [censored] well like it", none ever complained...

My '11 Sportage really, really liked QSGB 5w20 really kept things running noticeably more smooth and quiet.

I'm trying out NextGen conventional 5w20 in the Sorento, right now the engine seems a bit louder with that. Next fill might end up being QSGB. That's a ways down the road though.

My Ridgeline doesn't care for Mobil 1 or Motorcraft. Defintely prefers PU/PP. Hopefully she likes Napa Syn/Valvoline Synpower as that is what she is getting for the next couple of years (darn sales!).

My Legend loooooves Mobil Super 5000 (dino) and Kendall (full syn, syn blend and HM). Hopefully she likes Chevron Supreme as much as some of my previous cars did cuz she's getting that next.

Amsoil 0W-30 Signature Series and Lubro Moly for the past 15+ years. Vehicles over 100K are now getting PU 5W-30 and molybdenum with excellent results.

The 07 Sonata I4 is happiest on QSUD 5-20.
Not sure on the 2013 Subaru Impreza yet, I'll try QSUD 0-20 in it first.

Originally Posted By: donnyj08
I've never really been able to tell a difference between brands. Generally I think fresh oil is quieter than oil with 5k+ miles so any new oil might sound quieter than the old oil that was drained.

I think you're right about this.
I've done I can't guess how many oil changes on many vehicles over the years, and they always seem smoother and quieter with fresh oil.
I'm now old enough not to kid myself and I still notice this.
Brand used doesn't seem to matter much, although some may be smoother and quieter than others.
I've never had any engine sound unhealthy on any oil.

My cars never could really tell the brand differences of oil. I have heard louder or quieter engine noises with different weights of oil, though. I guess FAR oil is liked the best.

Originally Posted By: Deamos
My '11 Sportage really, really liked QSGB 5w20 really kept things running noticeably more smooth and quiet.

I'm trying out NextGen conventional 5w20 in the Sorento, right now the engine seems a bit louder with that. Next fill might end up being QSGB. That's a ways down the road though.

Yup this is what I mean. Some oils just run smoother.

Originally Posted By: zerosoma

Yup this is what I mean. Some oils just run smoother.

I'm glad you guys are saying it to because I've been saying this exact same thing and I've been told I'm nuts and that oil is oil and as long as the 2 oils are the same grade then noise is placebo and all my head.
I put a lot of miles on my vehicles and know them intimately so I can say for certain I can hear and feel the difference using different brands of oils,and I can hear and know every tap and tick my engines make,and can tell when they are absent.
So I agree that there is something to that phenomena,

Originally Posted By: Hollow
Having run most of the major conventional and some of the synthetics...the only thing I have ever noticed is my Outback tends to be a little quieter on oils with a higher Moly content (SM Formula Shell and SN Pennzoil). The classic Subaru piston slap and little tick the engine has had for the past 65k miles calm down faster.

Does the newer SN Formula Shell not have much moly?

Why do you think the QSGB is better for noise control? You you say because of more Boron? I heard lots of people say PYB is the best for that, but not to many about QSGB

My engine smoothed out with STP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Or was it Motor Medic?????????????????

Last edited:
Well, the Honda likes PYB, the bike likes RTS and the Z4... well I can't figure out what it likes. It didn't like GC much but seems pretty happy on the PP 10/30 I have in there now. But the real problem is it sees that M1 0w40 sitting on the top shelf of my stash and it wants some. Don't know how I know that, but I know!
whistle.gif

Shared sump bikes love conventional rotella.
Mustangs love anything however the 4.6 seems to really like 40 grades even though 20 grades are specified. The engine becomes whisper quiet with a 40 grade in.
The fox likes 40 grades to albeit for different reasons.
The Harley likes conventionals and runs more quiet on top with them in the sump. My girls windstar like pp-qsud. Hemi seems to like the co-op dmo 0w-40 I put in last week and hasn't lots any mileage however I sit cut in a quart of 5w-20 defy,and a can of mos2.
Basically my vehicles like just about anything. I've noticed the mustangs are more noisy with M1 however that was when I was still running 20 grades. I'm sure M1 0w-40 would be a different story.
My chev loves pyb and rotella.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back