What oils did you use for carbeurated vehicles

My first car was an injected mazda 323. But my second was a 1982 Cadillac Cimarron with 2bbl carb. By no small coincidence it was the first heap I got serious about wrenching on, because I was broke and had to, LOL.

Ames department stores had a rotating sale oil, usually Exxon Superflo or Havoline, for 69 cents after rebate. I bought that stuff by the case. Used STP filters from Walmart because the minimopar oil filter study revealed them to be well-made.

Straight 30 weight most of the time.

It's an old story, but one I've told a few times. Anything but Pennzoil. Why? Well, my buddies dad owned a transmission and radiator shop, that would do any kind of mechanical work outside of radiators and transmissions that any customer needed. After I graduated high school and ran off to college for a little while, then dropped out of college and came home, I roomed with that buddy. I also helped out a LOT when they were swamped or when they were working on their race cars. They ran dirt track, both of them, and especially after they switched from SS to IMCA, there was ALWAYS a lot of trying to dial those cars and power plants in.

They were pretty good in SS, good enough to have a few different sponsors. One day, a fine warm afternoon, a rep came out and talked to Dave about sponsoring him. Valvoline to be exact. They talked for a while, and Dave didn't take him on, but the guy did try awful **** hard to get him to use Valvoline in both the shop and on the track. Dave was a Castrol guy.

The Valvoline guy said he couldn't say anything bad about Castrol, and asked me what I liked to run. I was a Valvoline guy, also used Castrol or Havoline as they were all really popular and had good stuff. I told him that, and the Valvoline guy said, yeah, all solid choices, just stay away from Pennzoil. That stuff sucks.

I took that for what it was worth. A Valvoline guy had JUST told me that Casrtol and Havoline were great lubricants and bashed but one major brand. This was during the time that Penz had a lot of (probably) urban legends going around about just how bad it was.

I didn't start using Penz products again until I joined this form a long time ago when PUPPPPPPPPPPPP (+p+jhp or however many P's it was) was the flavor of the century.

Still like Valvoline and Castrol. Have run quite a bit of Havoline I think. I think whoever made Havoline makes Motorcraft blend, and I had a lot of free Ford oil changes from buying 4 new Fords in a 3 year span.

So for carburetors, those were the big 3. For injectors, they were still the big 3. And up until I started driving a turbo, I still liked straight 30. Give or take - about 4k on an oil change. I drove everything like I stole it, and I drove it a lot. 3k was conventional wisdom. my grandfather was the one who told me that 3k was BS. He recommended 5. I split the difference because I was Speedy Gonzales.

Walmart sold Fram filters, so I used Fram filters. We didn't get an Autozone until I got out of high school......

Ya'll remember when wally worls sold plug wires? mr_boring 'members when wally world sold plug wires ;)

Last edited:
10w-30 usually maybe some 10w-40. A lot of Sears branded oil as mom worked there and we got a discount. I might have a can I kept for a memento out in the shed....I definitely have a plastic bottle of Sears Spectrum 5w-30 that is who knows how old. When did they switch to plastic vs. cans?

Whatever was the cheapest on sale that met the latest, greatest API S__ quality spec. Before that system came into effect, we used the earlier equivalent, MS.
Carbureted engines don't require special oil.
I see "young bucks" still have trouble spelling carburetor.

Back in the day I used 10W-40 in everything of whatever was on sale with rebate. Shell Fire and Ice, Exxon Superflow and even Gold Circle's house brand. As long as it met the most current API spec it was all good.
I also did 3K drains on everything back then.
This was when oil still came in fiber cans.

My first couple vehicles were: 1972 Ford Custom 500, 351C 2Bbl and a 1979 Ford F-150, 351M, 2Bbl.
I used Texaco Havoline 10W30 in both and Napa Gold filters.
Edit: 2k OCI

Hello again. For you folks that drove carbeurated vehicles back in the day; what grade of motor oils did you folks use and what was your OCI length? Dad and I talked and he used Kendall 10w30 conventional back in the day with AC DELCO filters for 3k max
I always ran Havoline in my older carbureted vehicles.
Never had any serious engine problems using it.

All I use in my 83 Silverado since new. ;)
1689375534824.jpg

Sears Spectrum 10W-40 back when I had a 1974 (1980-1985) Buick LeSabre 455ci with 4 barrel...I used Sears Spectrum Dual oil and Sears air filters too always moving the big, round filter so the clean spot was by the snorkel on the air cleaner...

Bill

Used 10w30 Chevron in my 350 Caprice/Impala vehicles and in my 70's Caddies.

I was dealing with a independent mechanic who owned a Chevron Station so that is why I used Chevron oil. No issues with those vehicles. Changed oil every 4K miles. Was doing a lot of highway driving as I had a long commute to work.

Many years ago.....Pennzoil with Z-7, 10-40 (in cans). 3k OCI, in a 1973 Ford Torino Sport.
If I didn't know any better, I'd think you were my dad posting! He had a green 73 Torino Sport with the 351W. Strictly used Pennzoil 10w40 and I remember many times helping him as kid being the official spout puncher on oil changes or helping with whatever he was fixing. I also remember almost getting run over once when he was doing something with the points and timing where it had to be in gear and my dumb self was in front of it (and between a work bench). Thankfully I still have both my legs!

Always used 20w50 in my MG's and a 10w30 in my other cars.

My first car was an injected mazda 323. But my second was a 1982 Cadillac Cimarron with 2bbl carb. By no small coincidence it was the first heap I got serious about wrenching on, because I was broke and had to, LOL.

Ames department stores had a rotating sale oil, usually Exxon Superflo or Havoline, for 69 cents after rebate. I bought that stuff by the case. Used STP filters from Walmart because the minimopar oil filter study revealed them to be well-made.
Growing up in the 60's and 70's i very much recall my dad and grandpa using CO OP oil.. later changed the name to Cenex. It was easy to find and i suppose cost a bit less than the name brands . In rural areas and I grew up in a rural area in ND CO-OPs were in most small towns.

Attachments

• oil226-2_xxl.jpg
    oil226-2_xxl.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 8
Back