What oil to run in 08 Lexus ES350

Status
Not open for further replies.
I asked Pabloa this question because I thought of running Amsoil, I think this will be out of my budget for now. The car has had the one dealer oil change at 5k and now I am ready to do the 10k and do every 5k per maint. reminder light.

I purchased Toyota brand replacement oil filter cartridge and just trying to figure out if regular dino oil or is it worth $10 more dollars to run PP, M1 for 5k intervals?

My father-in-law has an '07 IS250 and the manual specifically states that the use of synthetic oil is not recommended.

He only has his serviced at the Dealer, they use Castrol GTX dino and OEM filters....I think they tell him 5K mile drains.

That being said, you can probably safely run whatever you'd like as long as it is an SM-rated oil. PP or M1 are both good choices, as is Amsoil. Do what is best for your budget if that is a concern, PP is a fantastic value and is highly regarded here for its performance and price.

Welcome to BITOG!

Unfortunately, I have to agree with 3putter. You just bought a brand-new Lexus, and you're 'wondering if its worth $10 more for syn oil???' You have to admit, that looks pretty silly!

Anyway, without over-stessing that point, I'd look for PP on sale (it is fairly easy to find) and change itevery 5k, as per warranty requirements. Amsoil is an excellent oil, and if you feel inclined to support Pablo (and the site), go with the XL series of oil, and also change every 5k miles.

Thanks for the input from the folks that did so, the GOMER that only want to ask why I need to save $10 go stick your head in the sand!

The question is valid, it's not that I need to save $10 ding dong, the question is based off of the fact of weather or not over the life of the car it is worth $10, $20 etc. every oil change to go with a conventional or synthetic as well as the lasting effects. Maybe it;s the fact I want this car to last a long time since I shelled out all of that money?

I swear it seams like their is always someone who has some dumb a** comment that pertains to nothing because they have nothing better to do with their time!

In MO, it doesn't get cold enough to justify synthetic. And if the gomer wants to criticize saving $10, he can cough up the extra and send it to you so you can use syn.

Originally Posted By: nuklhd
Thanks for the input from the folks that did so, the GOMER that only want to ask why I need to save $10 go stick your head in the sand!

The question is valid, it's not that I need to save $10 ding dong, the question is based off of the fact of weather or not over the life of the car it is worth $10, $20 etc. every oil change to go with a conventional or synthetic as well as the lasting effects. Maybe it;s the fact I want this car to last a long time since I shelled out all of that money?

I swear it seams like their is always someone who has some dumb a** comment that pertains to nothing because they have nothing better to do with their time!

BOTH questions are perfectly valid. With how good modern dino oil is, the car will live a long, happy life on a dino changed every 5k miles. Don't really need to pony up for syns. You're right.

But the other point is also valid, and YOU brought it up. You asked specifically if it was worth spending the extra $10 on synthetic. Well, let me ask you this - was it worth spending the extra money on a Lexus ES350, when a Camry would have done you just as well? Doesn't it make sense that if you have the extra money to buy a Lexus in the first place, you can afford the extra $10 per oil change for a synthetic?

OR, are you a typical NA consumer, and you way over-extended yourself by buying a Lexus because you had to 'look good', and now the extra $10 for synthetic is an amount you can't come up with?

You brought it up.....

I would too.

By the way, very nice car and
welcome2.gif
to BITOG

Last edited:
See, here lies the problem, addguy gave a great answer but had to get his last little dig in...

"OR, are you a typical NA consumer, and you way over-extended yourself by buying a Lexus because you had to 'look good', and now the extra $10 for synthetic is an amount you can't come up with?

You brought it up..... "

No, I bought it because I could and wanted too, as well as paying cash as I do for all of my vehicle's and motorcycle's. It's not weather I look good or not, it's what I prefer to drive at the time as well as what I can afford. I simply wanted to ask a question on a forum that I thought had professional opinionated good folks with straight answers (seems most do).

It looks as though I have my answer with conventional oil and want to thank you for the help. It still seems as with the question of is it worth the extra $10 was a good one, maybe all this time in life questioning an extra $10 here $20 there helped me pay cash for this and past vehicles...

Thank You

I asked Pabloa this question because I thought of running Amsoil, I think this will be out of my budget for now. The car has had the one dealer oil change at 5k and now I am ready to do the 10k and do every 5k per maint. reminder light.

I purchased Toyota brand replacement oil filter cartridge and just trying to figure out if regular dino oil or is it worth $10 more dollars to run PP, M1 for 5k intervals?

Don't worry about what others said. Many of these engines in Camry/Sienna are running fine with dino as long as you don't stress the oil too much. Syn is nice to have but not necessary. Hey, there is nothing wrong with saving $10 regardless of what car you have as long as there is no design issue with the engine that NEED synthetic.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
- was it worth spending the extra money on a Lexus ES350, when a Camry would have done you just as well?

When I bough my IS250 I tested drove Camry and ES. Should be the same car right? If you can't tell the difference you might as well buy a Ford Taurus or a Chrysler. The interior quality of Camry with leather is junk, I just said it, junk... Flashing on plastic everywhere, leather has hard edges... to a point that the cloth seats are more comfortable.

Beside, Camry is made in US and Lexus is made in Japan in the factory with the highest quality control ever in an auto plant, have better quality control (I just said it again), and do not use parts from Plastech (junk again).

There I said it, if you think Camry is just as good, maybe you should buy a Ford Taurus (the old ones in 90s), it has better interior and may last just as long.

I have a Corolla (US made), a Taurus, an Integra, and an IS250 in the family, and there is nothing wrong with American made car, but IMO it is not worth the same amount of money if the quality isn't up to a certain standard. Just because ES and Camry has the same platform and drivetrain doesn't means the are the same quality and worth the same.

Last edited:
I own a 06 Camry SE with the 3.3 and I was using PP 5W-30. Its a great oil and the car ran very smoothly with it . I also Auto-RX'd it about 3,000 miles ago. The next change I am considering switching to Red Line 5W-30. I have had great success with this oil in other Toyota applications ( although any oil seems to produce low Fe numbers and runs smooth). I also am going from a Pure One filter to an Amsoil unit. I am anal about service on my vehicles even if I dont plan on owning them all that long, but I would say if you are planning upon keeping this Lexus for any amount of time then the extra $10 per oil change is a easy decision. Cheers

See, here lies the problem, addguy gave a great answer but had to get his last little dig in...

"OR, are you a typical NA consumer, and you way over-extended yourself by buying a Lexus because you had to 'look good', and now the extra $10 for synthetic is an amount you can't come up with?

You brought it up..... "

No, I bought it because I could and wanted too, as well as paying cash as I do for all of my vehicle's and motorcycle's. It's not weather I look good or not, it's what I prefer to drive at the time as well as what I can afford. I simply wanted to ask a question on a forum that I thought had professional opinionated good folks with straight answers (seems most do).

It looks as though I have my answer with conventional oil and want to thank you for the help. It still seems as with the question of is it worth the extra $10 was a good one, maybe all this time in life questioning an extra $10 here $20 there helped me pay cash for this and past vehicles...

Thank You

Is it too late for an apology?

Even as I wrote it, I knew that last dig wasn't necessary, and thought, 'I'm mucking up a good answer with a cheap shot'...I'm not usually that 'punchy' at all.

I'm sorry.

One of the great things about this 'continent' is the feedom we have to make choices. Someone who works hard, and saves/budgets their money wisely so that they CAN afford the finer things in life is to be commended. Congrats on the new car!

I can't deny it, if I had the money, I'd buy a 'luxury' car, even when a lesser one would do fine. And it is a valid question, whether modern dino's will work well in even a new car like this, and they will....

Sorry to jump on a banwagon, and de-rail the thread...just wasn't necessary....

Originally Posted By: Solo2driver
My father-in-law has an '07 IS250 and the manual specifically states that the use of synthetic oil is not recommended.

Where are you getting that from??? My wife drives an 07 Avalon, which has the 3.5L version of the xGR V-6 (the IS-250 has a lower displacement version of the same GR series engines), and the manual for the same-year Avalon says nothing about discouraging the use of synthetic oil. Zero. Seeing your original comment, quoted above, I logged into Techinfo.Toyota.com, and checked all the on-line service pubs for the 07 IS-250, and there's absolutely NOTHING in the official pubs about not using synthetic oil. Please tell us precisely where that info is coming from. It may be good, and if it is, I need to tell the TIS folks to get their on-line data squared away. On the other hand, I've owned a number of recent model Toyotas, and I read all of their manuals (including that of my wife's Avalon, again same year, different version of the same engine), and I've seen no mention at all of such a restriction. If your info is correct, we need to see exactly where it fits.

addguy-

Thanks, never too late, I appreciate the gesture.

I think I will do conventional unless told otherwise by forum members or as of results with the other members Toyota V6 results, I will use Toyota filter cartridge and be doing the work myself.

Thanks to all...

If sticking with warranty i would go by the book, if not concerned and want to do extended drains up to 10K i would go PP or amsoil if want to go further.

Syn is not needed in most cases, just a "feel good" for most people to run it unless you get it at a discount then I would surely run it like I am doing with the synpower.

Now that we're back on a bit friendlier terms, nuklhd, I'd personally recommend running on syn.

Dino oil will work just fine, but I'd like to have the 'feel good' factor of thinking that my engine might be a 'bit' cleaner, and have a 'bit' less wear, from using syns right from the start.

The 5k mileage limit means you don't get to take full advantage of the 'value proposition' of running longer drains with syns, but I'd counter that by buying cheaper syns (Supertech, or whatever you can get on sale at Supertech prices), and sticking with 5k mile drains. As I said, that's just me....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back