What oil , here we go again

Status
Not open for further replies.
1965 Dodge Powerwagon with a slant six 4 spd..I just picked it up and it only has 60,000 on the clock. It is an old Idaho Forest Service truck. I am considering a good Synthetic but don't know how it might adversly affect the engine if at all.

Anybody try the Quaker State Syn? They claim eight times more wear resistant than Mobil One.

Put in a good cheap conventional 10W40. Exxon Superflow, Havoline, Shell, Mobil Clean, Penzoil, Quaker State, etc........

Last edited:
First off, don't believe that QS actually protects 8 times better than M1, that's all marketing stuff.

Secondly, the odometers on older rigs would go back to zero after they hit 100k...are you sure it only has 60k miles?

There really is no reason to run synthetic in this truck....unless for some reason you want to run extended OCIs, which I doubt. Any name brand dino oil will do what you want.

Good luck:)

Do not get taken in by advertising hype. If your truck has only 60,000 miles in 44 years, it has spent a lot of time doing nothing. If it were my truck, I would run about 3,000 miles on Mobil 1 synthetic, 10W-40 High mileage. I would use a WIX filter, change it at 1500 miles, and then change oil and filter after the initial 3000 mile run. I would then continue with your OCI with the Mobil 1 10W-40 and WIX filter.

I have had new vehicles with the slant 6. I ran them with 20W-50 conventional with excellent results. The 10W-40 synthetic flows much better at low temp and protects much better at high temp. This particular Mobil 1 also has a higher ZDDP(1000)more antioxidants, dispersant's, MOLY boron and has some extra seal conditioners. Mobil 1 and Valvoline have seal conditioners, not seal swell agents.

If you do not want to go synthetic, then my suggestion would be Valvoline MaxLife 10W-40. It is a synthetic blend, has a good HM add package, but uses 300 ppm moly and keeps ZDDP at the 830 level. Do same as Mobil1 suggestion above, and continue your OCI after that initial 3000 miles.

I believe you have your oil companies confused. It's Castrol that makes that claim, not Quaker State.

I would use a good conventional 10W-30 in that slant six.

I believe you're over-thinking this applicaition.

I've driven seveal of those old PowerWagon slant-sixes during my years in college at a maintenance shop. Those engines have two known traits. One - they are grossly underpowered (moderate low-end torque, and no top-end power). Two - they will last forever (probably due to item one).

I don't think it will matter in the slightest what oil you run in that engine. Seriously, it's hard to kill an old in-line six like the slant-six! Choose a good dino oil and keep on trucking. I concur with Johnny; 10w-30, preferably a HDEO. Although, again, I don't think the Slant-six will care either way.

Last edited:
lots of good info..thanks. looks like I should run about anything I like in it.
No, I am not Naieve enough to beleive those giant corporation claims..I didn't get caught and allow my meager savings to be MADOFF with.
I rather like Mobil One..it is in everything except my M/C due to wet clutch.
60K is probably right due to lack of wear on mech parts and pedal pads etc. Engine runs supererbly...good oil pressure and compression. Was probably only driven low speeds around the forest etc. It is not really made for freeway driving, but, it shall be for me. I just won't go over 60 with it like I did for my first test run. It runs fine at that.

I agree with you in that Mobil 1 is an excellent product, but the old synthetics causing leaks might hold true with this truck. Being an original 1965 the types of seals used back then might not like the chemical make-up of a PAO based synthetic.

Would it be possible to post a picture of that jewel for all to see?

There is a picture on Sweptline.org website you can go there and look for my posts etc...usdart is my user name.

I am repairing gauges and little stuff on it now. Don't want to drive without fuel gauge, oil light or temp gauage. Only thing left to fix is the fuel tank float..and I have one.

I have used Rotella 30w, Pennzoil 30w, and Castrol 30w in my old 6-cylinder engine from 1951. Roughly same mileage your motor has.

IMHO they all worked well. I ran Mobil Drive Clean oil in it 2 years ago, smooth but noisy compared to the other brands. I have Castrol HD30 in there now. Quiet & clean.

If you insist on Mobil, you might try Delvac instead.
:2cents:

GL

Last edited:
I love the byline at the Sweptline web page...:)

'61 - '71 Dodge Sweptline Trucks
Once you own one, you'll understand!

I had no idea these trucks were called Sweptlines, that's cool lol

Originally Posted By: Greg L
If you insist on Mobil, you might try Delvac instead.

Shell Rotella T synthetic 5w40 would be cheaper and just as good in that engine.

My family had a '63 Dodge pickup with the slant-6 and a '65 or '66 Dodge Dart with the slant-6. I guess they ran okay, but most Mopar vehicles from that era had severe rust damage within 10 years and went to the crusher decades ago.

Geez, I owned a slant six years ago as my first car in a 1966 Dart. Being young and dumb I rebuilt the engine when it only had 150,000 miles on it only to find out once it was apart and being machined that it didn't need a rebuild but i was in too deep and did it anyway.

I ran "Good as Gold" reclaimed straight 30wt in it or anything else I could find for under .50 cents a quart. I beat it and beat it and beat it. I sold it with the five quart pan only holding 4 quarts and the 18 gallon gas tank only holding 12 gallons due to the off-roading and catching air over a few choice intersections near where I lived.

The only reason I sold it was because I was offroading with a missing dustcap and grit got into the wheelbearing freezing the bearings to the spindle. A slant six can take anything. So could a '66 Dodge Dart. Use any oil you want. That car still ran good when I sold it. Everything in a slant six is forged as far as I know from the crank up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back