what oil for the toyota 5.7 liter????????

Status
Not open for further replies.
thanks guys for all of the informative reads.i'm gonna make sure to see the actual bottles of oil if they use it that way.they may only use bulk,but i'll ask.so the general concensus,for the most part,is to use a heavier 30 wt oil?i think,after the "free"oil changes i'm gonna start using mobil 1 advanced fuel mileage 0w-30.this engine has a pretty big sump,around 8 quarts,so it should be pretty easy on oil,at least i hope.i'm gonna do 5,000 mile oci anyway with a toyota oil filter.

Originally Posted By: 3Toyotas
I liked the 5w30 in my tundra, and i may switch back. What do you think?

21.gif
I like ASL more than SSO.

Originally Posted By: noi8u
Good read 3toyotas. Could you just explain one thing to me? Why is Amsoil not API certified? Owner's manuals do state API certified oils.

I have no idea whatsoever why Amsoil's higher end oils aren't API certified. I know their XL line is, but for some reason the ASM, ASL, SSO, is not. But i'm not worried about it at all to tell you the truth.

Originally Posted By: whitearrow
thanks guys for all of the informative reads.i'm gonna make sure to see the actual bottles of oil if they use it that way.they may only use bulk,but i'll ask.so the general concensus,for the most part,is to use a heavier 30 wt oil?i think,after the "free"oil changes i'm gonna start using mobil 1 advanced fuel mileage 0w-30.this engine has a pretty big sump,around 8 quarts,so it should be pretty easy on oil,at least i hope.i'm gonna do 5,000 mile oci anyway with a toyota oil filter.

Yeah good move. It's best to see the actual bottles put in your truck, and some guys have asked for the empty bottles they used. If they use bulk, you have no idea what's being put in your truck. Most dealerships use 5w30, because that is what most of their cars use so they just use it for all of them. Plus, it's the cheapest oil they can get their hands on.

I beleive the ONLY way you'll get synthetic is if they poor it out of the 1 quart jugs.

Originally Posted By: Ben99GT
I liked the 5w30 in my tundra, and i may switch back. What do you think?

21.gif
I like ASL more than SSO.

I'm running SSO now, and i liked the sound of the motor better when it had ASL in it. But shouldn't i worry about the fact Amsoil does not recomend ASL for the 5.7L?

I beleive if i remember right, the SSO is quite thin and not much thicker than ASM.

This is the text from the owner's manual (from TIS)
I can provide the full PDF if needed.

"Recommended viscosity: SAE 5W-20 or 0W-20
SAE 5W-20 or 0W-20 engine oil
may be used. However, SAE
0W-20 is the best choice for
good fuel economy and good
starting in cold weather.
The 0W portion of the oil viscosity rating indicates the characteristic of the
oil which allows cold startability. Oils with a lower value before the W allow
for easier starting of the engine in cold weather.
The 20 in 0W-20 indicates the oil viscosity when the oil is at its operating
temperature. An oil with a higher viscosity may be better suited if the
vehicle is operated at high speeds, or under extreme load conditions."

So based on the last statement any of the recomendations listed would be ok. I would run either a 5w20 or a 5w30.
My favorite flavor as of late has been PP, but if you like M1 or Amsoil go for it. If you tow a lot I would probably use the 5w30.

Justin

I GUARANTEE you that those 'free' dealership oil changes do NOT include the use of 0W-20 syn oil. No, those chages will be bulk Mobil Clean 5W-20.

Not a bad oil at all, so I'd use the free changes and keep the interval at 5k miles, as per warranty. After the freebies, if you are going to be doing a fair amount of towing, I'd take Toyota's 'advice' ad go with a 30-weight oil.

But always stay withing the 5k warranty OCI to save yourself problems, and if ypu're doing that, might as well stay with dino - a bit of a waste, otherwise!

I have an '07 DC 5.7 4x4.
I have used PP,YBPenz,GTX in 5w20.
Yes the engine does have it's noises.
But this last oci I put in Havoline 5w30.
The engine seems quieter.
The mpg seems the same around town.
And I almost got 21 on a 400 mile 70mph trip.
But I used S6 instead of D(Thanks 3toyotas).

I would buy M1 5W30 or 0W40 and I would use it year round! The 5W30 comes in 5 quart Jugs at Walmart so it is a cheaper then the 0W40. The 0W40 can be had at Walmart but it does not come in the 5 quart jugs so it is a bit more expensive. The M1 0W40 will produce killer low wear number and will have great TBN retention and it will work great in the cold North Eastern winters.

If you wanted to run dino I would run any GF3/SM 5W30 dino as long as it was name brand during the winter then come warm months I would run a 15W40.

So I have given plenty of choices and all of them will do great! I have five different Toyota including one Tundra but I do not use any 20Wt. oils so I can not recomend them. Most modern Toyota engines especialy their V8's do not require anything fancy in terms of oil they do like oils with better additive packages over all and I think they like oils in between the 5W30 and 15W40 best so thicker 30wt oil and light weight 40Wt. oils tend to be the sweet spot.

The best oil ever in my opinion if cost is not a factory is Redline 5W30! With longterm use it will keep that engine as clean as it was the day it rolledoff the assembly line and it will produce the best UOA ever!! The second best choice ever is also a bit pricey and that would be Amsoil Series 3000 HD 5W30 it is every bit the equal to Redline 5W30 in Toyota's!!! I always try to go with the most cost effective options first and I have had excellent results with M1 0W40 in Toyota's!

Originally Posted By: RichR

Yet another happy person with a 5w30 oil in this engine. I assume you like the heavier oil?
You know, not only was the truck quieter, it also sounded deeper. Does your's as well?

And yes, you can get over 20mpg with this truck. Nice!!

Sequential does seem to help on mileage from what i've been told. This is with an empty truck though; my studies have shown that it doesn't matter at all when towing. But empty it does.

Not a problem; glad i've saved you a couple bucks at the pump.

How does Redline 5w30 compare to Amsoil ASL?

I beleive the ASL would be slightly thicker. No?

I want to go back to ASL from the currnet fill of SSO next OCI, but i don't know necessarily if engine noise would have any bearing on wear, one way or the other. ???

Originally Posted By: RichR

Yet another happy person with a 5w30 oil in this engine. I assume you like the heavier oil?
You know, not only was the truck quieter, it also sounded deeper. Does your's as well?

And yes, you can get over 20mpg with this truck. Nice!!

Sequential does seem to help on mileage from what i've been told. This is with an empty truck though; my studies have shown that it doesn't matter at all when towing. But empty it does.

Not a problem; glad i've saved you a couple bucks at the pump.

It does seem to quiet down this engine.
But I don't think I'm using 5w30 come cold weather.
The S6 seems to keep the truck from down shifting on hills as compared to D.I have also been using S6 around town.
But that doesn't really change the mpg.
Edmunds had one and did a test loop@55mph and got almost 22mpg.But driving that slow would be very boring and dangerous.
I do wish I would have waited for the 4.6.
Since mine is a daily driver/college/dump runner
more than a heavy hauler.

How does Redline 5w30 compare to Amsoil ASL?

I beleive the ASL would be slightly thicker. No?

The viscoties are virtually identical, RedLine has a much higher HTHS value though.

hey fellas i wish y'all would give me the secret on how to get decent gas mileage out of this truck.don't get me wrong i didn't get the truck for stellar gas mileage but every advantage helps.i get 15.3 mpg's no matter whether i drive like grandpa or like a 15 year old.what gives?my driving is approx. 50/50 hwy to city with maybe slightly more hwy.

3 toyotas- The amsoil HDD has a ton of ZDDP as I remember. Pretty sure the ASL has little to none. I have had great luck running Redline 5w-30 in my toyotas. I was running SSO in the camry and it wasnt quite right. Great oil just not for the 3MZ-FE. Its very quiet with the RL. I am curious about the ASL as these motors prefer a bit more viscous oil in my experiments.

Originally Posted By: whitearrow
hey fellas i wish y'all would give me the secret on how to get decent gas mileage out of this truck.don't get me wrong i didn't get the truck for stellar gas mileage but every advantage helps.i get 15.3 mpg's no matter whether i drive like grandpa or like a 15 year old.what gives?my driving is approx. 50/50 hwy to city with maybe slightly more hwy.

Whitearrow,
Any stop and go or short highway trips your not going to get much better.I live in Chicago and try to drive like a lil old man.
I get 14-15 mpg.if I get out a bit 16-17mpg.
It will do good on long highway trips if you keep the speed down and drive smoothly with the cruise with no head wind.
On two 400 mile trips I got over 20mpg @68-70 mph.
Used the S mode(6) instead of D.(Thanks to 3Toyotas).
Giving it a trailer workout would help seat the rings too.
I have an '07DC 4x4 5.7

I run Motorcraft semi syn 5w30 in my 4.7l 02 Seq. 10k OCI's, excellent UOA's. 84k on motor. Oil barely loses it's honey color at 10k. Wife's daily driver, mostly short trips.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back