What oil for Formula 1 cars?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm soooo sick of these m/c oil wives' tales.....

"Energy Conserving" oils are your 20wt and 30wt oils with an HTHS # under 3.5
THEY HAVE THE SAME ADDITIVES AS 40WT OR 50WT OILS....

PCMO's have LESS additives than m/c oils, so why is everyone worried about them NOT working with a wet clutch?
If anything I'd think that you might want to add some VSOT.

Originally Posted By: 1sttruck
Production motorcycle, consumer oils...

http://www.r6messagenet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41403

Welcome to The R6 Messagenet.
The largest resource for the Yamaha YZF-R6 and YZF-R6S

Motor Oils
If you read the manual you will notice it says to use Non-EC (energy conserving) oils only. This is what you should look for on the back of the oil bottle, it will not say Energy Conserving on the bottom. Because your motorcycle has a wet clutch, and is actually partially submerged in the oil, some say your clutch will slip. Debates rage on as to whether this is a needed concern, or just a marketing ploy playing on your fears, to get you to spend extra money for motorcycle specific oils.

15w50, 10w40, 5w30 and 5w20 are the most common oils used in our bikes. Brands are generally personal preference, but most here will recommend Mobil1. Mobil1's "Extended Life" 15w50 (Red Cap Replacement) motor oil is a favorite of many, and their new "Truck and SUV" 5w30 is also a great oil, free of any friction modifiers (EC rating).

Last edited:
I had asked Mobil what the Mobil 1 product is and it was indicated that "it is whatever McLaren wants". i.e. the specifications/blend is what McLaren dictates.. So, no information as to what the base oil was, etc. as it is all proprietary and McLaren really does consider it a component of their race car..

It would be interesting to see what the actual piston speed is in an F1 motor. They spin lots of rpms but I've seen some specs that show as short as a 1.5" stroke. Piston speed might not be much more than a BBC at 7,000rpm.

It's easy to figure out.

Piston speed in Feet Per Minute = Stroke in inches * RPM /6

A 4000 FPM upper limit is a typical number for use with a racing engine that needs to last some amount of time. Short life engines like you see in drag racing may run over 5000 FPM. Just not for very long...
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: jsharp
It's easy to figure out.

Piston speed in Feet Per Minute = Stroke in inches * RPM /6

A 4000 FPM upper limit is a typical number for use with a racing engine that needs to last some amount of time. Short life engines like you see in drag racing may run over 5000 FPM. Just not for very long...
wink.gif

So an F1 engine with a 1.5" stroke spinning 16- 18000rpm is still in the 4,000-4,500 fpm range. My daily driver Buick is at a safe 3,400 at 6K. The TL pushes 3,900fpm.

Here's something I found in the press releases for the 2008 Mclaren and Ferrari car debuts:

Mclaren:
Fuel Mobil 1 Unleaded (5.75% bio fuel)
Lubricants Mobil 1, newly developed 2008 formula for lower friction and better wear resistance

Ferrari:
Fuel: Shell V-Power ULG 64
Lubrcant: Shell SL-1098

That information came from planetf1.com/story/0,18954,3213_3026804,00.html and
planetf1.com/story/0,18954,3213_3029237,00.html

Originally Posted By: senna
As far as fuel is concerned Shell makes fuel for those Red Cars from Maranello, Elf make it for the current French Champions.

Fuel for all F1's is so far from pump fuel that its ridiculous, about equal to the moon.
Years ago while in Montreal, they were brewing fuel for various teams with those turbo cars, it was said that the fuel at that time was $200 pergallon for qualifying fuel, but worth 110hp and of course at that time all of those engines were built/programmed for about 5 laps before blowing up.

Senna

I was reading a thing on Shells website that the fuel in fact is a super custom blend but has to be be within like 1% of pump gas components, or will be deemed illegal.

Sure it is customized within a nats behind of the limit but made up of the same stuff pump gas is.

Quote:
Mclaren:
Lubricants Mobil 1, newly developed 2008 formula for lower friction and better wear resistance

Great, now improve the retail M1.

Originally Posted By: buster
Quote:
Mclaren:

Great, now improve the retail M1.

...or bring back M1 R in varying weights with an SJ/SL addpack, and a good dose of esters in the basestock!

Originally Posted By: BillionPa
if you look at a viscosity chart and how they thin out, oils with linear viscosity and a high W number would have low HTHS ratings, but oils that barely thin at all, like a 0W70, would have massive HTHS ratings (6+).

Isn't that the other way around?? for eg a 0w40 oil will have lower HTHS than a 10w40 oil?

Gotta keep copies of the Necronomicon out of the hands of noobs. Reviving dead threads, dead for over 4 years, can be stinky.

Anyway since it is alive: F1 engines run both oil and water at 300F.

Quote:
If you only have to use the hydrocarbons that are normally in "pump gas" gives you an awesome field to play in.

Very true. I wasn't aware that much benzene was allowable, but I did know that huge amunts of toulene is allowed, not sure of exact percentage but I would guess 50% or more, then Xylene, TBE and MTBE and I'm sure many others all with extremely high octane ratings. Add some oxygenation in there and I'm sure they could go to 110 octane or so if they wanted to.

Originally Posted By: Nederlander75
Better than clogging up the forums with a new subject each time one has a question or discussion thought.

Demanding "thought" in order to have a discussion? Well, I NEVER.....

Originally Posted by Johnny
t all of those extra little wings look wierd.

They aren't built to look good, they're built to be effective. Aero>Aesthetics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back