What oil did you use before BITOG?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back in the day, Rotella T 15W40. In my cars, lawnmower, all things with an internal combustion engine.

Today, any major brand with the best price/rebate.

Loads of QS conventional. The taxis got that exclusively. My personal vehicles got a lot of GTX. If I had a "need" of some sort for a synthetic, M1, dealer oil, or Syntec were the usual. For HDEOs, it was almost all Esso XD-3 stuff, but that is, unfortunately, no longer available.

VWB was my go to oil.
I was always to find it on sale and with rebates was cheap.
Once I came here, I did go through a German Castrol phase where I had 60+ bottles of the good greed juice, but ended up returning or selling it all.
I then saw that parts stores had annual clearances as well as lots of rebates and such.
Since then I use whatever is cheapest on sale. I am usually getting synthetics of various brands cheaper than what I was paying for VWB 13 years ago.

I've always ran mobil 1 full syn on every car I've had, since my oil research addiction which I'm sure some of you fully understand....haha I've ran nothing but PP in my cars last 2 years but after this UOA I'm venturing in different direction I'm looking at running high end oil for 6k interval like BMW twin power or maybe amsoil signature. I'd like to see what my copper and iron ppm do in UOA now since I have trend established.

Well that could be a long list considering I've only been a member for a little less than a year. To keep it brief generally Castrol GTX since my first new car purchase in my mid twenties. Before that was any cheap oil I could get for my various sh*tboxes. The first synthetic I used was Mobil Super 0W20 for my previous car, a Scion XB. After the warranty and continued with my current vehicle, see below.

Pretty much what I use now.
I first used synthetics in 1990, but only because I got the oil at a deal.
I came to prefer a syn labeled oil for what I regard as our good cars and I'll use a blend or conventional in the others.
Cost always rules and the most I've ever paid for oil is the forty quart buy of Idemitsu HGMO I made for the newer Accord.
Five bucks a quart!

Mobile 1 always make me laugh.

Before I joined here it was Castrol Syntec 5w30 for the whole time I owned the Sentra and Dodge Neon. The Fusion saw Castrol gold bottle and Valvoline Synpower. The 3.5 Altima saw Castrol gold bottle and old school Pennzoil Ultra when you could actually buy it. Now, since I've joined here I find whatever is on sale. It's usually Havoline Pro DS, Castrol gold bottle, and or now Castrol Magnatec. I tend to like oils that have Dexos approval and HTO-06 as well. I have some Motorcraft 5w30 to run in the Altima before too long. I am looking forward to giving that a try. It just runs so good in the 98 Camry.

When Defy went ILSAC and Advanced Durability took a significant reduction in boron, I stepped away from the counter. The boron was what AD had going for it and Defy had non ILSAC and SL level ZDDP going for it. In my opinion they ruined an excellent, affordable product, that I held higher than other name brand conventionals and house brands, now its all the same.

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted By: cnatra

Mobile 1 (mostly)

Why do so many here call it Mo-bile?
There is no letter 'e" in Mobil-1 folks.

auto spell check on my phone didn't like Mobil , oops

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted By: cnatra

Mobile 1 (mostly)

Why do so many here call it Mo-bile?
There is no letter 'e" in Mobil-1 folks.

auto spell check on my phone didn't like Mobil , oops

Started using M1 5-20 in 1978 in my Dodge Slant 6 pickup. I lived in Maine at the time and found M1 really made a huge difference in starting the Dodge in extreme cold temps. I also enjoyed the 10K OCIs. I have never had an oil related engine, trans, or PS pump problem with M1 oils or ATF.

Pennzoil for the last 45 yrs, none of the so called experts on BITOG could convince me otherwise.
grin2.gif

I used Chevron Supreme for awhile. Then used Sears private label. Then moved to Castrol GTX. There were a few experiments with other oils but these were what I used most. Moved to Idaho and used various oils including Supertech, Sopus and Motorcraft blend and synthetic oils. Oh and to reveal my age I still have the oil spout for the oil in cans I used long ago.

VWB motor oil in 5w30 and Valvoline synthetics in the differentials, trans, PS etc. We sold them at our repair facility so it was a no brainer.

Still use them today...

In the past I've done some EOCI with Mobil 1ep in company vehicles and was always pleased. I no longer extend due to the severe service category i fall into so I'm back to VWB at a 5k OCI though I run a Fram Ultra XG-2 for 20k or 4 oci.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back