What next for my Subaru?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Car in question is in my sig.

ATF: (spec for Dex III) Currently unknown type and miles. Planning on a 3x drain and fill of Valvoline Maxlife ATF. Readily available, synthetic or synblend fluid. Seems to be a popular aftermnarket replacement for my 4EAT.

Gear Oil: (spec for 80w90) Currently unknown type and miles. Picked up some Valvoline Durablend 80w90 recently, so that's going in for a least a little while. This might be the factory fill I'm draining out, so I'll be replacing it it 10-15k to see if it how it is doing.

I am quickly developing a fanship of Shell products, what would you suggest for my application? Is the Maxlife good for me, and is it ok to go away from a HM ATF or do I need to stay with that once I start? Does Pennzoil/Shell make a better option for my ATF and/or gear oil needs?

You might want to try Pennzoil Dex VI or M1 synthetic ATF. For gear oil I think that you definitely should find syn. I personally prefer 75w90 as it provides better cold weather shifting. I don't know if 75w90 would work in your application. Amsoil is also a great choice for gear oils.

I would stay away from HM ATFs since they have seal swelling agents. But I don't think you'll have any issues with HM ATF either.

There have been mixed reports on using Dex VI in the old 4EAT. Some have no issues, other report it slips some. If it wasn't spendy I'd try the newer Subaru HP fluid, which is supposed to be backspecced for the older Dex III fluids.

Anyone use the Pennzoil or Formula Shell ATF?

The next gear oil will most likely be a synthetic 75w90 or 80w90, as Chicago winters are darn cold and summers are darn hot.

I did a single drain and fill on my Dad's 2002 WRX Wagon with the 4EAT using MaxLife. It shifts noticeably smoother. Change was done at approx 125,000 miles. It had a complete flush at ~95k. I'd change the filter as well as it is in such an easy location and the filter can be had for cheap. It was the same as the engine oil filter.

I'm on the "OEM Only" bandwagon for ATF's, AT filters, and fuel filters in my experience. While my Legacy is a manual transmission, the rest of the car is identical to yours. Any gear oil should be fine for both the front and rear, this is not necessarily a "high performance application".

I have an OEM transmission filter already purchased, there is a noticeable difference in it and an oil filter (although I'm now running PureONE oil filters as they are closest to Subaru's specs and about $2 cheaper than what the nearest dealer charges.) Just working on what fluid to use.

Originally Posted By: HollowEyes
I have an OEM transmission filter already purchased, there is a noticeable difference in it and an oil filter (although I'm now running PureONE oil filters as they are closest to Subaru's specs and about $2 cheaper than what the nearest dealer charges.) Just working on what fluid to use.

Thanks, that is good to know about the difference in the filters. I wonder why NAPA specs the same filter for the engine and transmission.
confused.gif

Used Pennzoil ATF for 30K in one of our trucks, did it's job and have no complaints. It's cheap, good bang for the buck.

Originally Posted By: cutlassvillager
I did a single drain and fill on my Dad's 2002 WRX Wagon with the 4EAT using MaxLife. It shifts noticeably smoother. Change was done at approx 125,000 miles. It had a complete flush at ~95k. I'd change the filter as well as it is in such an easy location and the filter can be had for cheap. It was the same as the engine oil filter.

4EAT filter is not the same as engine filter check the specs; some people had negative effects when using any filter other than the OEM one. But it's your car your transmission
wink.gif

Car in question is in my sig.

ATF: (spec for Dex III) Currently unknown type and miles. Planning on a 3x drain and fill of Valvoline Maxlife ATF. Readily available, synthetic or synblend fluid. Seems to be a popular aftermnarket replacement for my 4EAT.

Gear Oil: (spec for 80w90) Currently unknown type and miles. Picked up some Valvoline Durablend 80w90 recently, so that's going in for a least a little while. This might be the factory fill I'm draining out, so I'll be replacing it it 10-15k to see if it how it is doing.

I am quickly developing a fanship of Shell products, what would you suggest for my application? Is the Maxlife good for me, and is it ok to go away from a HM ATF or do I need to stay with that once I start? Does Pennzoil/Shell make a better option for my ATF and/or gear oil needs?

If I can make a sugestion Subaru ATF-HP is a very good fluid and is compatible with your older 4EAT.

Originally Posted By: gomes512

Used Pennzoil ATF for 30K in one of our trucks, did it's job and have no complaints. It's cheap, good bang for the buck.

Thanks.

Originally Posted By: FZ1
Call the S dealer and ask 'em what to use.

Obviously to come buy Subaru fluid from them.

Originally Posted By: snajper69

If I can make a sugestion Subaru ATF-HP is a very good fluid and is compatible with your older 4EAT.

True, I've heard good things. It's just twice the price of Pennzoil or Maxlife ATF at my dealer. If I wanted to spend that much a quart I'd get Redline or Amsoil.

The next gear oil will most likely be a synthetic 75w90 or 80w90, as Chicago winters are darn cold and summers are darn hot.

I ran Formula Shell ATF for over 90k in my 97OBW before changing to Schaeffers SAT...the car sits with just shy of 150k. Trans shifts just fine (well, as well as one of these ever shifted). We bought the car at 54k.

I started with PZ 75w90 at 54k, then changed to RP 75w90...I see almost no evidence of wear on the magnets between changes.

Since it spec's DexIII, can't go wrong with Maxlife especially if your local store has it for ~$4 a quart.

Nothing wrong with the Durablend 80w90 either. But, I always prefer a full synthetic on rarely maintained gearboxes. Its something to consider when you service it again.

Yeah, I'm gonna see if I can haggle with my local dealer on the Subaru HP fluid, I don't mind spending a little more than what the Pennzoil and Maxlife run, but their price is basically double that...or around what Amsoil's ATF would run me. No dice since I need enough for 3 or 4 drain and fills.

The Durablend will probably only get run for about a year or so...as the service records I have do not list a differential service ever, then swapped out for something else.

One thing that makes me happy, other than the rusted on bolts (curse you Chicago salt!) all this is very easy to manage.

I only use the ATF-HP Subaru fluid. I have heard some not so good things when people use a non spec/non OEM fluid. And my Outback does not have a filter on the trans. You can see where it used to be but it now has a cover over where it is supposed to be. I use Mobil1 Synthetic Gearlube in my diff's. 75w-90. My oil is Rotella T6 Synthetic 5w-40. Oil filter is now Mobil1 Extended (I think they are called). It has the synthetic media. Change my oil every 5000 to 6000 miles. Tranny get's a drain and flush every 30,000. Going to keep her for a long time. I drive long distance everyday.

19.gif

Last edited:
Well, you heard wrong. And, he doesn't require under-performing overpriced HP ATF.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back