What makes 'Amsoil Small Engine' better than PCMO?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought I would have a touch more zinc, I use to use ACD for all my OPE but I guess they stopped making that, to bad..

How much rust or corrosion is there in small engines bathed in oil?

Could be a lot if the oil can't properly break the surface adhesion of water from condensation. Iron sulfide, created by chemical reactions of base metal with AW/FM/EP additives, while not particularly water soluble, can react with water to form acids that'll promote rust and sludge formation. Metal deactivators and corrosion inhibitors are present to prevent such as this.

Last edited:
You think a product that has proven itself time after time wouldn't get bashed but it shows some people just cant help themselves
It's not bashing, just stating a fact. Lots of people are willing to pay a large premium (relative to the alternatives) for products because of the effective advertising and marketing. Amsoil and Lucas are the two most obvious. If these were deficient products, they wouldn't have stayed on the market for decades. Some folks are happy to pay 11 bucks for 5 quarts of Dexos spec, and some are happy to pay 11 bucks for 1 quart Amsoil, RP, or Lucas. It's all good.

It's not bashing, just stating a fact. Lots of people are willing to pay a large premium (relative to the alternatives) for products because of the effective advertising and marketing. Amsoil and Lucas are the two most obvious. If these were deficient products, they wouldn't have stayed on the market for decades. Some folks are happy to pay 11 bucks for 5 quarts of Dexos spec, and some are happy to pay 11 bucks for 1 quart Amsoil, RP, or Lucas. It's all good.
I purchase on performance period!!!

Please explain why this Amsoil is better than Mobil 1 Advanced10W-30, that I bought a six pack of for less than $3/qt ? One-third the price of Amsoil?

I got a few bottles of the small engine oil through a local person. I think I paid 8 or 9 for each. Not overly expensive. I have a high dollar Honda generator. If this oil does anything to help that engine, then the 2-3 bucks more than cheaper oil for it is worth it. My lawnmower is 20 years old (also a Honda) and has been serviced with conventional oil. It is still kicking and starts on the first/second pull even after winter. Do I really need expensive oil for my generator? Maybe not...but I change the oil once a year, is 10 bucks/year going to keep me from retiring? NOPE. There seems to be way too much emphasis on cost here, for items that you only replace once or twice a year. So you save 20 bucks a year. Every single person here wastes far more on stupid stuff.

You think a product that has proven itself time after time wouldn't get bashed but it shows some people just cant help themselves
Name one major brand that hasn't proven itself 1000x just based on sheer numbers alone in real world every day vehicles. Every last one has tons of 300-400k mile vehicles (which is why people bash oil marketing in general, as long as they meet spec it's not the product its the owners practices that matters).Every time I come on hear I see Valvoline, Shell, Castrol and ExxonMobil being bashed for marketing so I don't know why amsoil would be immune.

I Personally will continue to scoff at amsoil as long as I have to sign up and pay to be a preferred member and have no retail options to purchase at a reasonable price. Perhaps having the consumer take these steps is a form of sales control to keep from outgrowing their capabilities but more likely they don't want their expensive product shelved next to also proven brands because that probably isn't sustainable (maybe it is, royal purple successfully made the transition... branding a completey different downgraded product from what they got famous for). They need you to focus on the Kool aid without the distraction of that M1 or PP right next to it for $23/5qt.

seeing how its not a very modern api rated oil in both gas and diesel certifications and it being amsoil i am confident in it having very high anti wear additives. i know someone did a voa on brigs SEO and it was pretty stout. Honda makes an api sn SEO but i doubt its as good from the restrictive rating. i also see that its jaso approved so i can see it being an option to some.

Here in Canada, Amsoil motorcycle oil is actually less expensive than other synthetic brands such as Mobil 1 4t, Castrol Power 1 4t, Motul 7100, etc. by a few bucks a litre. Compared pricing and brand options, and recently bought some Amsoil for my bike.
For less cost I would have tried Rotella T6 15w-40, but T6 is not available in that grade in Canada.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back