what makes a car feel "quick"

Status
Not open for further replies.
The reason I posted this is because over the holidays, I got to drive my 2000 Maxima 5-speed again. That is one nice drive train. It effortlessly accelerates in 4th gear from 1000 rpm and always feels ready to move as soon as you touch the accelerator pedal. I am not talking about WOT acceleration. That car also maintains its speed going up the grade without me noticing the pushing the gas pedal much.

Originally Posted By: spackard
50-80mph WOT on a hill response. That's where I'll be cursing the car if it doesn't have it.

As long as I can pass Vikas without breaking a sweat I'm good
smile.gif

For me, it would be 50-80 on a hill response BUT NOT AT WOT. If you are at WOT, then you are pushing the car to give its best. Then you should be downshifting or even double downshifting to get in to the right gear but that is completely different scenario. Sure I do that once in a while. It is great to do that on I-84 when they add extra slow lane going up the grade and nobody thinks they are driving slow enough to move in to that lane; so I punch and then pass the rest of the traffic as I crest the top of the climb. But that is different scenario than effortlessly and casually going from 50 to 80 on level or slight uphill.

Most of the time I am plodding along in the slow lane at the speed limit, so you won't to have to break a sweat to pass me :)

Of course what feels quick to one person, is entirely subjective. A high power-to-weight ratio also helps.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: Nick1994
To me what makes a car feel quick is effortless mountain climbing. The Beetle climbing the mountains doesn't slow down

Somewhat of a low standard, isn't it? Can't most cars climb mountains without slowing down these days?

At least have them fully loaded.
smile.gif

My 97' Camry struggled in the mountains, this thing flies up the mountains. If I get stuck behind a semi truck in the mountains and need to pass I want some power there. Camry couldn't do it. This certainly can.

Having lived and traveled a lot in the Rockies, the difference with modern cars having boosted engines and fuel injection just flattens the mountains compared to years ago. Yup, torque is what moves the car.

1) lots of forward backward movement when you accelerate and decelerate
2) not much left / right movement when you corner
3) loud engine
4) high rpm when you stomp on it

The biggest factor has got to be gearing.

My sisters 2008 4cyl accord automatic feels snappier than my 68 Electra even though the Buick is significantly faster though. 2.78 rear end and 28" tires will kinda cause the power to come on more like a freight train.

Last edited:
400-500 or more HP starts to get pretty fast.

Personally I enjoy effortless speed because their is no legal way to really use a modern sports car on the public roads. Also loud sports cars tend to attract unwanted attention.

A big V12 Mercedes, 6.75L Bentley or a Tesla is a good example. No effort ever, just silent constant thrust and it never lets up. This way when your stuck in traffic you just waft along, or when your on a hill with a Bentley it doesn't get flummoxed like a 4 banger Camry for example and downshifts at say 70. It just pulls, and keeps pulling. It produces several Camry's of torque so it doesn't need to downshift.

Last edited:
Gearing is a big thing. Drive a supercharged 3800 with a 2.92 then go to a 3.29 feels totally different. A bone stock LS1 with 3.23/3.42 VS 3.73/4.10 world of difference in the way it FEELS.

My WS6 feels slow to me now and it is 420 to wheels. The Grand Prix is modified as well. I have not dynoed it but my best educated guess is right around 280-300 to the wheels based off mods and similar cars. After driving the WS6 it feels like a Civic... Slow.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
1) lots of forward backward movement when you accelerate and decelerate
2) not much left / right movement when you corner
3) loud engine
4) high rpm when you stomp on it

Are you talking about Honda S2000 ?

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
That's the reason I love manual transmissions.

YUP....top gear is OVER-drive...for cruising, not accelerating....still...
When I can stay in 5th and pass 3 cars zipping from 70-80 using the HOV lane flying solo between 7 and 9 AM and get out of the HOV in under a half-mile, I'm feeling pretty good...in a 4-banger Camry....on a 2-lane highway, I'm dropping down to 4th for safety cushion...

Last edited:
Lots of HP (with low end torque) combined with proper gearing makes crazy acceleration, which is what we feel as "quick".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back