How do you feel about traffic scenarios (what crosses the line)

Another one that raises my blood pressure is this one.

Going left to right are two right turn only lanes and a green arrow. Some drivers still sit in the right turn only lanes on a green arrow and wait for the solid green before turning. On top of that, some drivers wait at the leftmost right turn only lane and then go straight. I’ve been close to getting hit. There are lines on the ground but it’s not enough.

I drive to work using a particular highway that has an HOV/HOT diamond lane. It's the far left lane and is clearly marked. I purchased the required magnetic sticker pass that goes on the front window that allows me (for a fee) to use this lane. Trouble is, 80% of the people moving to the left to pass traffic, have no such pass and try to push others out of the way. They seem to think because it's the left lane....it must be the passing lane (which it is not). People speeding (10 to 20 mph over) are constantly using this lane and never a cop in sight. I just wish people would follow the law. Bugs the heck out of me.

People who can't maintain their own lane while making a left turn. There's an intersection near my house with triple left turn lanes. You can imagine how today's distracted, lost or self-involved drivers are navigating that. The condition of their bumpers and fenders should be observed as warnings.

There are lots of strange choices made by highway builders that are guaranteed to cause accidents. One I hate is when you are traveling in the right lane of a multilane highway and all of a sudden you find it becomes Exit Only, which inevitably happens with lots of traffic making it very hard to get out of. Sometimes two lanes must Exit, making it doubly hard to get over. Then on some other highways you get the Exit Only for the right lane, then only a few miles down the road for the left lane, and sometimes back and forth making it hard to predict which lane you can safely ride in if you aren't a local. In general, left lane exits should be banned from superhighways!

People who can't maintain their own lane while making a left turn. There's an intersection near my house with triple left turn lanes. You can imagine how today's distracted, lost or self-involved drivers are navigating that. The condition of their bumpers and fenders should be observed as warnings.

There are usually lines on the pavement to guide drivers, but I’ve noticed that accuracy is not a given.

I'm glad most of these practices haven't caught on around here.Biggest issue we have is now, everyone with a Toyota thinks he/she's running the Daytona 500! And pickup trucks of course.

Traffic and driving skills are a mess in general across the nation. Some cities\towns worse than others. Austin Tx should be high on the list from what I experience daily. Ei yie yie

75 from around Troy down to around twenty miles south of the river is pretty bad. Lots of truly stupid driving, but also lots of trucks and a fair number of drunks and druggies. There are multiple accidents every day even in clear, dry weather.
I'm fortunate in being able to drive to work on Rt 4, avoiding 75 altogether. Wife was not so fortunate and was stuck with 75 every weekday. This was actually a factor in her retirement date, so bad did she find her commute.
Even worse, an older man was shot on 75 near downtown Saturday night.
It seems the victim will recover.
There was another car shot at on 75 in Westchester about a week before.
Then there are the wrong way drivers, usually drunk, who seem to get into a head-on collision on 75 a couple of times each year.
Nasty stretch of road.

Another traffic scenario I hate is someone driving along the superhighway with a bunch of crap piled into the back of a pickup that is held down with a few bungy cords and prayers. Once a four-by-four flew off the back of one of these loads and struck the top edge of the windscreen right in front of my son riding in the passenger seat, but it didn't come through. Judging from how some loads are tied down I get the impression the drivers are using the trip to get rid of the stuff.

Another traffic scenario I hate is someone driving along the superhighway with a bunch of crap piled into the back of a pickup that is held down with a few bungy cords and prayers. Once a four-by-four flew off the back of one of these loads and struck the top edge of the windscreen right in front of my son riding in the passenger seat, but it didn't come through. Judging from how some loads are tied down I get the impression the drivers are using the trip to get rid of the stuff.

I've seen commercial loads that weren't properly covered/secured and stuff started falling off. I saw stuff on a truck without a gate and I think a bucket fell off where there was swerving around the bucket.

One of the worst was I saw lots of old cardboard on a semi flatbed that was piled like 10 feet high and held down with tie down straps. Some of it was loose and one piece flew off and landed right on my windshield and stayed there for several seconds. Dangerous as heck and I'm wondering who thought it would be safe.

I feel irritated when someone on purpose, uses the right lane to pass everyone waiting to go straight or left, and then, end up blocking the right lane that has a right green arrow, because they have to choose a spot to get into the straight or left turn lane. Typically there will be 1-2 cars like the above, and now 15+ can't turn right, because the lane is blocked, even though said 15+ have a green right arrow.

This happens every single day in Phila., and imho an example of a society which has no controls in place. It totally reminds me of watching Fort Apache The Bronx, when it was just lawlessness.

In 2023, I get that nothing can be done, because honking a horn is not polite. I bet in 1980 it would not happen like above, there would be some disincentives for acting badly. :)
Not sure about 80s but I know in the 90s aren't any better. We haven't gotten better or worse IMO

Not sure about 80s but I know in the 90s aren't any better. We haven't gotten better or worse IMO
I know in the 80s my buddy got out of his car and played Buford Pusser. He smashed in the side windows and headlights of someone who cut him off blatantly on the MASS Pike, when they reached the toll plaza. One simply can’t do that, or much of anything today. That’s why I think it’s more blatant or flagrant. And yes, he was arrested and actually beat the rap. Because back then it mattered what caused the confrontation.

No, the confusion in my post is I thought the OP was talking about a lane with the combination arrow that points straight and also points right. (I corrected myself three posts up will explain more)
Here in SF, drivers in the right lane commonly block now the lane left to them because they make very wide turns and they have to wait for pedestrians to cross. Beats me why this is happening. Half of their vehicle is now in the wrong lane.

I hate this one busy intersection where there’s a green arrow, but the far right lane is right turn only, but the next is right or straight. It’s the eastbound direction here. I’ve been stuck in the second lane trying to make a right turn when someone is stopped waiting to go straight.

You can't fault the driver in front of you any more than he can fault you for not being in the turn-only lane. Ideally, he'd be one lane over to the left and you'd be one lane over to the right.

You can't fault the driver in front of you any more than he can fault you for not being in the turn-only lane. Ideally, he'd be one lane over to the left and you'd be one lane over to the right.

I don't fault any driver for that any more than I do when I'm at this intersection waiting to turn right at a red light where the driver in front of me is waiting to go straight. But at that particular intersection in Emeryville, there's always guessing as to whether or not the car in front will turn right, especially since most don't signal.

I fault whoever designed the configuration of that intersection.

But just about a block away is one where it's perfectly clear and drivers don't turn right on a green arrow in a right turn only lane, and some wait at the right turn only lane and go straight. Mostly because they just don't pay attention to the layout.

Another one is people who don't clean their roofs of snow in the winter and then usually they just clear a small hole in front of their face and drive off. My sister and father had the windscreen caved in when a sheet of ice came off a trailer ahead of them on the Thruway. Luckily they both wear glasses because they were wearing the windshield when my sister pulled off onto the shoulder of the highway.

Being tailgated to death when a red light is just a few hundred yards away....geez...
It's funny, I know tailgating really bugs some folks. As a racer and general risk taker, it does not seem to bother me as much as others. I'll simply change lanes if I can.

The way I see it, there is really little chance they will hit me.

I use a dual camera dash cam.

Back