Being without a car feels weird

In college I went carless, was the wise thing to do, couldn't afford to keep a car on the road. Ever since, I haven't been without a car. This week, the youngest needs a car, so out it goes for the day. I was "forced" into waiting for my son to get home from school before I ran some errands. The kicker is that she gets to park in the garage. So it's almost like I lost my garage spot too. For the last 23 years, I haven't been without wheels, either I had a spare car, or I had a rental. 4 drivers, 3 cars... first world problems I know. I think next week we can juggle vehicles, not sure about the following week, then I think we're clear until fall.

Spent a few hours perusing car ads and relearning how awful the market is right now.

Just a weird thing to look out at an empty garage.

In college I went carless, was the wise thing to do, couldn't afford to keep a car on the road. Ever since, I haven't been without a car. This week, the youngest needs a car, so out it goes for the day. I was "forced" into waiting for my son to get home from school before I ran some errands. The kicker is that she gets to park in the garage. So it's almost like I lost my garage spot too. For the last 23 years, I haven't been without wheels, either I had a spare car, or I had a rental. 4 drivers, 3 cars... first world problems I know. I think next week we can juggle vehicles, not sure about the following week, then I think we're clear until fall.

Spent a few hours perusing car ads and relearning how awful the market is right now.

They may as well just bury me now instead of taking away all of my vehicles!

I've learned to always have a backup. Rentals cannot be counted on, and neither can your neighbors. I used to always have a motorcycle or 3 for last ditch transportation. But any way you slice it, a classic American life requires transportation.
Yes it sure seems to be that way. I've been looking off and on for the last year, but the used market has been bad for longer than that.

Got a spare 240V in your garage?
No, at least not yet. Been thinking of running a line out there, as we switched from electric stove&dryer, so I have two open 240 lines.

I think I know what you're going to suggest. That might work... used Leaf for the daughter? Craptastic range but the farthest trip is about 60 miles roundtrip. A Leaf can do that, in wintertime, with the heat on full blast, right? [My daughter will wear a sweatshirt in the middle of summer.]

I totally agree on that feeling - I've not been without a car for longer than a week since I started driving the day after my 16th birthday (a body shop visit for a deer hit was the longest I've ever gone, at around a week). That included college, when I had a car that wasn't strictly necessary for getting to class (I used it to get home and back for breaks, for errands while at school, for getting to work when at home on breaks, etc.)

There's something amazing about knowing that you can go (essentially) wherever you want on any whim whatsoever, for a very low marginal cost. I'm the type that will invent errands (how about ice cream from Sonic across town?) and go out for drives frequently (I'll explore different areas, catch the sunset out in the country, that sort of thing), often without any particular reason. That's to say nothing of how much I enjoy road trips for vacations and the like.

I'm now around 9 years and 200,000 miles or so into driving, and still am blown away by the feeling of freedom that it provides. I'd be hard pressed to think of a scenario where I'd prefer to be car-free, and feel that I get way more value from having one than its cost. I never look at driving and/or car ownership as a chore or a bore, and would have to say that cars/travel/related things are among my favorite hobbies and interests.

No, at least not yet. Been thinking of running a line out there, as we switched from electric stove&dryer, so I have two open 240 lines.

I think I know what you're going to suggest. That might work... used Leaf for the daughter? Craptastic range but the farthest trip is about 60 miles roundtrip. A Leaf can do that, in wintertime, with the heat on full blast, right? [My daughter will wear a sweatshirt in the middle of summer.]

Not an older one. The new Leaf base model with 40KWh pack, can do about 100 real world miles, with sufficient reserve.

Leaf? Please. Go big or go home...
Seriously, good luck. Something good will pop up. Make it interesting if you can.

Not an older one. The new Leaf base model with 40KWh pack, can do about 100 real world miles, with sufficient reserve.
Might still work, I don't go far on weekends, so it might be an option, whoever is driving the shortest distance gets the Leaf. Not a preferred one, as I am trying to get her out of my car--I'm a bit attached, but also my car is rather old and old age has set in. She won't be able to handle the non-power steering in cold weather, and I still think the brake booster is on its way out. Plus everyone in the family is tired of moving the seat after she drives.

Fit or similar would work good for her. Figure I have all summer to find her car, just tap dance until then.

LOL I get it. Always had a car since grad school once I was not living on campus. Did the three car juggle for maybe 8 years. In hindsight wish we had just bought a nicer car/cars. When we gave up the third car in ~2017/2018 I had heart burn over it, even though my drive to public transport was not far the timing was inconvenient. Still makes me uncomfortable dropping one at the shop and only having one.

Flip side, I occasionally toy with the idea of switching to just one car (even though we ultimately won't) when mine goes. Our mileage is way down for various reasons in the last 3-8 years and I don't mind saving on the preventative maintenance and insurance, registration, etc. Only downside is I don't have a need to go through my oil stash. :) Really not looking forward to car shopping whenever that day comes.

My garage is full. And not with a car. Just important stuff. And my Mastiff like to sleep in the garage also.

I love to drive, always have. Wife and I are both retired but We have 2 cars, a truck, and a motorcycle. Her ES350 has been driven maybe 100 miles since she retired on December 30th, but it’s in the garage and on a battery maintainer if we need it. We’re planning on taking a day trip tomorrow to the Blue Ridge Parkway, sort of a “maiden voyage” for my wife’s totally impractical “ new “ 2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP that she bought in February….just because.

I've learned to always have a backup. Rentals cannot be counted on, and neither can your neighbors. I used to always have a motorcycle or 3 for last ditch transportation. But any way you slice it, a classic American life requires transportation.
Agreed, without transpo, you are out of luck. Vehicle is #1

I agree on having a backup, and I'm still kicking myself for wrecking a car last year. For a little while I had 4 cars for 2 drivers... then the teens got their licenses, and who gets to be the one with the first wreck? me. I still haven't gotten over that.

Still, seems like the wrong time to get another vehicle. Problem is, I don't think it's going to get better. CL had a couple of $4,500 vehicles that for once they showed the frame rot--that was a first, usually you have to go and see to find that out. And listing at $4,500! Local dealer has a 2018 Camry for under $16k out the door. Only 244k on the clock--sheesh!

Then I looked at new, saw the payment, and that was enough of that.

I might be in your boat next week too. The '96 Jeep is out of commission right now. The '07 Sonata has a broken window regulator, so it's like blasting a hair dryer inside the car. And my daily driver will probably be in the body shop next week. I do have my aunt's '20 ProMaster camper van at my house I can drive though.

I've owned my own car since I was 16 and have always had at least 2 cars since I was 18.
've owned as many as 5 cars all at one time which didn't go over well with my wife.
And we've mostly had 3 cars all the time...your's, mine & ours! :love:

Last edited:
Keep telling the wife I need a race car so I can go autocross, and bring us to 3 vehicles…. She wants to go on vacations 🙄

We went down to one vehicle about 4-1/2 years ago. My wife uses the van more than I do, so I'm often without a (motorized) vehicle.

It certainly cuts down on those expensive runs to Home Depot and Canadian Tire.

Back