what level of difficulty is a brake job?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll cut out all of this conjecture and needless dialog

Rotors can only be machined to an "over minimum" thickness. They're allowed to wear to an "under minimum" thickness. In the past, when I was PA inspection certified ..this was a fixed number over and under the rotor's spec's. That is, you're allowed to machine to .0X0's over the minimum ..but they're allowed to wear to .0X0's under.

Sorry for bumping the old thread but I have relevant question.
2000 Maxima Rear Disk (screw-in type caliper with parking brake)

One of the brake is dragging. On the slight chance that it could be one of the slide (if I am so lucky), I tried to remove it. I did not want to remove the pads or swing out the caliper itself.

I thought removing the 14mm caliper bolt will get me the sliding pin. I was under impression that what I was removing was the long sliding pin going through the other side. That bolt was too short! I tried the lower one, same story. I buttoned it up and called it quits :-( I was lucky that I was able to re-tighten the caliper bolts; I was afraid of the bolt spinning freely and I had no idea how I would have solved that particular problem!

I must have seen lots of disk brakes job but the real hands-on was done almost 25 years ago :-( All I can remember from that job was ``C-clamp to rescue'' part of it.

Question:- Can I remove the sliding pins with caliper in place?

- Vikas

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back