What it the true bypass pressure of the Mobil1 M113A filter made by Champion Labs?

When they tacked on the “A” suffix, Mann & Hummel started making them. And quality dropped. I would spend a tiny bit more for the AC Delco UPF64R.
The later Champ Labs filters also had the A suffix. It indicates they meet the 20K mile change requirement.

Interestingly enough, the M113A's mad by Champ Labs and M+H have the same Mobil1 part number.

FWIW, I asked Champ Labs to verify the bypass pressure they had previously told me (18-24psi). They responded with the below message:
"After reviewing with Engineering. The old Champ supplied Mobile1 M1-113A, has a 18-22psi bypass relief rating.

As we no longer supply Mobile1 and the Champ filter is obsolete. We recommend contacting Mobile1 Tech Support for this matter.

We also recommend not using the Champ filter for this application, unless otherwise told by current Mobile1 Tech Support .
"

I had already called Mobil1 Tech Support and they told me I had to contact Champion Labs for questions about filters made by Champion Labs.

I asked why they they don't recommend my M1-113A filters made by Champion Labs for my application and they haven't responded.

M+H probably isn't going to go out on a limb and specify any filters once made by Champion, even though Champion did specify them before the Mobil supplier switch over. It's a CYA thing for liability.

So, at this point all you can do is believe that the Mobil 1 filters now made by M+H are designed right to work correctly, even though they don't meet the 22 PSI bypass spec laid out in the GM TSB. As mentioned before, just because it doesn't actually have a 22 PSI bypass valve doesn't mean it doesn't work correctly. If you look up 10 different filter brands specified for that engine and list their bypass valve settings, you will probably see they vary quite a bit.

It's the oil filter seller's responsibility to verify through the Engineering Dept if each filter is appropriately specified for vehicles ... if that happens 100% or not, who knows but that's ideally how it should work. And if they specify a filter and it doesn't work right and caused engine damage, then their warranty is suppose to cover those kind of instances. Of course, nobody wants that to happen or go down that road.

Who makes the AC Delco filters? Same company.
I don't know. Their signature line from Champion Labs (now [email protected]) is below:

1656468147384.png

I don't know. Their signature line from Champion Labs (now [email protected]) is below:

View attachment 105775

And part of this comes about when companies get absorbed and duplicative products are cut to streamline the filter offerings. That is likely what happened here.

From a business standpoint it makes sense. Streamline the filter media and other components. Economies of scale.

This has come up on the Corvette Forum several times. Different people get different answers from Mobil. M1 still lists the 113A as the replacement for PF48 and PF64 filters. So the bypass is wrong for one of them. I'd feel more comfortable with a brand that specifies the correct value. AC Delco, Fram, and Wix all state their filters meet the 22 psi spec.

I had purchased several M113A filters for my 2015 Corvette when they were being made by Champion Labs. Since the catalogue on the Mobil1 website specifies the M113A filter for my car that requires a 22 psi bypass pressure but also specifies the M113A for cars that require a 15 psi bypass pressure I was concerned about the bypass pressure being correct and contacted Mobil1 technical support. Champion Labs responded that the M113A is correct for my car and has a 22 psi bypass pressure.

I now have a 2020 Corvette which also requires a 22 psi bypass pressure and I have several M113A filters made by Champion Labs. Mann+Hummel is now the supplier of Mobil1 filters. A poster on the Corvette forum had contacted Mobil1 technical support inquiring about the bypass pressure of the M113A filter. He was told the M113A bypass pressure is too low and he should use a M114A filter which isn't yet on Mobil1's website (but it is available at Advance Auto). The website still shows the M113A as the correct application for a 2020 Corvette. I contacted Mobil1 technical support and was told the same thing by the M+H support. They said I need to contact Champion Labs for questions about the M113As made by Champion Labs.

Does anyone know the true bypass pressure of the M113A made by Champion Labs?
Assuming that a Delco filter was what the factory installed wouldn’t that be a sure fire replacement? Car manufacturers hate to eat warranty repairs so they wouldn’t install filters that would sacrifice engines.
You know what they say about opinions….and this un is mine.

Assuming that a Delco filter was what the factory installed wouldn’t that be a sure fire replacement? Car manufacturers hate to eat warranty repairs so they wouldn’t install filters that would sacrifice engines.
Actually, there were a few C7 engine failures that were attributed to contaminated ACDelco PF64 filters (one was a press car under review). They were covered under warranty but still a hassle.

But in my case I'm just trying to make sure the three Champ Labs M1-113A I have sitting on my shelf are suitable for use in my C8. I have two M+H M1-113A filters that I'm going to return.

Actually, there were a few C7 engine failures that were attributed to contaminated ACDelco PF64 filters (one was a press car under review). They were covered under warranty but still a hassle.

But in my case I'm just trying to make sure the three Champ Labs M1-113A I have sitting on my shelf are suitable for use in my C8. I have two M+H M1-113A filters that I'm going to return.
Why doesn't someone on the C8 boards cut open a M+H made 113A and measure the bypass valve to verify the actual PSI setting ?

Yes, the engines were covered under warranty by GM. The assumption is that if you install a bad OEM filter and it causes an engine failure while still under warranty that GM will cover it, but I have never seen anything in writing other than the filter itself being covered. Nor have I seen anything in writing that if an ACDelco filter causes an engine failure when an engine is out of warranty that ACDelco will cover it.

Mobil1 does have a written guarantee that if an engine failure is caused by an oil filter failure it will cover the engine repair. But it brings up the question who actually pays for it. Currently the engine repair warranty is through M+H since they are the current Mobil1 oil filter supplier. But what happens if a Champ Labs oil filter now causes an engine failure. M+H isn't going to cover it, will Mobil1? Or is Mobil1 going to tell you to deal with First Group? And what if they tell you to deal with Mobil1 since they are no longer the oil filter supplier?

Here is a link to the ACDelco warranty. Note that it specifically excludes consequential damage:

Last edited:
Why doesn't someone on the C8 boards cut open a M+H made 113A and measure the bypass valve to verify the actual PSI setting ?
Probably because M+H is already telling us that their M1-113A has a bypass pressure in the 15 psi range and if you want higher you need to use a M1-114A filter with a 25 psi bypass pressure.

Probably because M+H is already telling us that their M1-113A has a bypass pressure in the 15 psi range and if you want higher you need to use a M1-114A filter with a 25 psi bypass pressure.
At least you have 3 older 113As for future use so you can see how it goes with the 114A with consumers.

On a side note - if M+H actually reduced the bypass valve setting to 15 PSI on the 113As they build, then they must also have completely changed the filter media, or increased the media surface area my a lot, but I highly doubt they did that.

At least you have 3 older 113As for future use so you can see how it goes with the 114A with consumers.

On a side note - if M+H actually reduced the bypass valve setting to 15 PSI on the 113As they build, then they must also have completely changed the filter media, or increased the media surface area my a lot, but I highly doubt they did that.
M+H might not have realized that the Mobil1 catalogue was cross referencing the same filter for both bypass pressures when they became the supplier. The M+H and Champ labs M1-113A filters are definitely different designs even though they share the same Mobil1 part number.

Right now I'm taking Champion labs at their word that their M1-113A filter has the higher bypass pressure. But that still doesn't explain how their M1-113A can be used in place of a PF48 with a lower bypass pressure. Either their M113A always had a higher bypass pressure or they changed the bypass pressure to meet the higher GM bypass pressure. Or perhaps the specs are written such that the filter can meet both requirements. Or they are just lying.

Right now I'm taking Champion labs at their word that their M1-113A filter has the higher bypass pressure. But that still doesn't explain how their M1-113A can be used in place of a PF48 with a lower bypass pressure. Either their M113A always had a higher bypass pressure or they changed the bypass pressure to meet the higher GM bypass pressure. Or perhaps the specs are written such that the filter can meet both requirements. Or they are just lying.
It's a lot safer to specify a filter with a higher bypass valve setting to be used in place of a filter with a lower bypass valve setting. It's questionable to specify a much lower bypass setting to be used in place of a filter with a higher bypass setting. This is only comparing the same oil filter brand and model, because as mentioned the bypass valve setting has a lot to do with the specific oil filter design - ie, media area, media flow performance, media holding capacity, oil filter "up to" mileage rating, etc. That's why you will see 10 different brand oil filters specified for the same engine not all having the same bypass valve setting. If an oil filter is free flowing and has a high holding capacity it doesn't need as high of a bypass setting as a filter that is more restrictive and has less holding capacity.

As an example, if one oil filter model was specified for 50 different engines it would be a lot safer for the manufacturer to set the bypass valve setting for the worse case scenario on the most demanding engine out of those 50 engines. Of course the oil filter has to safely take the max delta-p across the media and center tube before the bypass valve opens up so it doesn't get damaged from too much delta-p. If they determined the most demanding engine needs a 22 PSI bypass valve then that's what that model filter will get, and it will be used on all 50 of those engines. A lot of those engines may only need the filter bypass setting at 15 PSI because they have a relatively low flow oil pump and/or specify a much thinner oil. But they will still operate just fine with that specified filter set with a 22 PSI bypass valve.

If the same filter had a bypass valve set to 15 PSI, then some of the most demanding engines in the group of 50 may have a lot more filter bypass events than what the engineers want. When that becomes a problem, then the filter manufacture may bump up the bypass setting on that same filter model, or they may design or specify a different oil filter model to meet the demand. Sounds like M+H going from their 113A to their 114A for the C8 is doing that.

Last edited:

I wouldn't use any of them in an LT1 or LT2. The 113/113A predates the C7 Corvette. It was the specified filter for the C6, which used a 15 psi bypass. It still is. The C7 always required the 22 psi bypass. The Mobil 1 filter never changed.

And the early engine failures with the PF64 were with the original version (12640445). It's been changed twice since then (12696048 and 12706595).

I wouldn't use any of them in an LT1 or LT2. The 113/113A predates the C7 Corvette. It was the specified filter for the C6, which used a 15 psi bypass. It still is. The C7 always required the 22 psi bypass. The Mobil 1 filter never changed.

And the early engine failures with the PF64 were with the original version (12640445). It's been changed twice since then (12696048 and 12706595).
This is what concerned me originally and why contacted Mobil1 support when the filters were being made by Champion labs which was also making the OEM ACDelco PF64 filters at the time. I don't know of anyone with a C6 actually contacted them to verify the bypass pressure, it would have been interesting to hear what they said. Since Mobil1 has never published the bypass pressure it is quite possible they have always made the M1-113A with the higher bypass pressure.

It would be interesting if someone contacted First Brands, told them they had some NOS M1-113A made by Champion Labs that they want to use on their C6, and ask them what the bypass pressure is.

Didn't @RKCRLR say in post #1 that the Mobil 1 113A filters made by Champion Labs had a 22 PSI bypass valve. Maybe it started out with a 15 PSI bypass valve and then was updated to a 22 PSI bypass after the GM bulletin came out. Filter manufactures often make design changes and keep the same filter model number.
⬇️ ⬇️

Champion Labs responded that the M113A is correct for my car and has a 22 psi bypass pressure.

Back