What "issues" do you just "live with" on your older vehicle?

A piece of the turn signal stalk is broke on my 1991 Corvette. Replacement part was discontinued a few years ago. I just don’t use them anymore

I keep my cars to pretty high miles.... I do what's needed to keep them safe and reliable, and at least somewhat aesthetically pleasing. I've lived with busted windshields for years at a time because here in WA it seems as soon as you replace a windshield, bang another major chip

The Focus.. issue's LOL I'd break the internet with the issue's it has. My wife is bent on driving it till it either blows up or burns no matter how many problems it has. The Escape/Dakota/Festiva/RV all have tire issue's where they vibrate. Now the RV might be fixable with new tires but the others I just can't find anyone that balance a tire. I've wasted too much $$$ trying to get it to stop, thinking of getting balance beads. The Focus/Escape/Festiva has cracks in the windshield but I don't have a problem with it. Except the Focus all our vehicles are mechanically good and run great and stop even better, the brakes a phenomenal on all our vehicles!

The button on the hatch to open the hatch doesn't work.

When I find the time I will open it up. If I can replace the microswitch, I will. If I can't, it'll go back on broken. 🤷
Fixed it.

For the last two years I have had "unlock trunk separately" checked in the car settings.

Unchecked the block and the button on the hatch works.

Let’s see…

1999 Camry, 230k. Paint is shot but I bought it that way, so no big deal. Power steering pump seems cranky when cold. If it sits for a while (like overnight), I need to let it idle for 20 or 30 seconds in park before I move, otherwise it won’t properly engage drive. Has taken to leaving its mark on the world wherever it is parked, and best I can tell, just about every seal/gasket is acting up. Feathers the rear tires, not sure why. Rear defroster lines are all chewed up and thus it doesn’t work. I think the flexpipe is getting ready to fail again, and last time I looked, the CV boots were starting to look cracked.

2003 CRV, 163k. Seat rocks back and forth, I guess as soon as I want to kill a few hours I could pull the seat and replace the various bushings that wore out (it’s described on the forums and is “common”). Wanders on the highway and clunks over bumps: I think it’s the LCA bushing that is torn (that I might have fixed this winter). AC does not blow cold if the vehicle is not moving. Not sure on oil burning rate but it’s using oil, probably a quart per 1k.

2011 Camry, 229k. From day one second gear syncro has been wonky. It’s better when it warms up a bit. Shakes on the highway, I suspect it needs struts and a full suspension rebuild.
CRV might have an easy fix: it sounds like the cooling fan might be acting up.

Only two things on the Challenger: big one is the radio reception is weak, probably due to the PO's rear window tinting. (Antenna is in the glass.) Also, the lousy PVD chrome wheels are, as the commonly do, peeling.

Also has a distortion in the windshield, but that will be fixed as soon as the shop gets the replacement in.

Squeaks and rattles, I can't chase them all anymore

I've been putting off Shin Etsu lubing the weatherstripping

But it's low on the list compared to major mechanical refreshing that's way overdue

NYC is tough on a car mechanically and cosmetically, and paint +10 years on is usually damaged beyond repair

My '02 Ranger has half the dash lights out (I bought the bulbs to replace the burnt out ones last year but haven't found the time), and the shifter is sloppy and points between D and 2 when in drive (likely a broken clip under the dash that holds the cable that I can fix when I take the dash out to do the bulbs on the dash).

Our bought new by us 2010 Honda Element SC. Approximately 210K miles in these pictures, both taken about a year ago. Absolutely terrible paint.

Scott

IMG_0924 2.jpeg
IMG_0921-2.jpeg

My '02 Ranger has half the dash lights out (I bought the bulbs to replace the burnt out ones last year but haven't found the time), and the shifter is sloppy and points between D and 2 when in drive (likely a broken clip under the dash that holds the cable that I can fix when I take the dash out to do the bulbs on the dash).
Do you by any chance know thw size bulb this cluster takes because on my honda i replaced the dash bulbs with 74s and they are not as bright as the original bulbs

My daughter drives the '07 Civic Hybrid. We acquired it very reasonable from my niece/sister. It has 144k miles, and runs good. It has a bent subframe, and can never be aligned. It still drives great/straight, but will wear tires prematurely. We've been rotating them often. It also has very noisy shocks in the rear, but they aren't shot. The front windshield side moldings are gone. I've stuck auto-grade foam/rubber seals in there.

Our Jeep isn't old, and only has 44k miles. The auto start/stop works maybe 2% of the time. We are fine with that, as we always disabled it anyway. There are no codes/errors. The little battery may be shot?

Everything works properly on the 02 Camry. I call it a beater because it's old and not worth much but it isn't in beater condition. It's dead reliable and dead boring. Nothing much to fix there. Reliability will go away eventually but the boring won't!

• Haha
Reactions: V1
I have a 2004 Toyota Corolla with 85,000 miles that runs great. I live with the creeping rust from Chicago winters. I spray Fluid Film here and there but it's a hopeless situation. lol

Used to have an ‘04 Mazda 6. Bought new. Racked up 197k until it quit. Absolute beater toward the end. It was running on pure pride.

-Sagging headliner.
-Rusted hood and fenders.
-Various fluid leaks.
-Clutch chatter/ squeal
-Factory original suspension which was shot, but too rusted to disassemble.
-Rusted frame rails. Unable to place on jackstands.

Engine ran great until out of nowhere it started clacking like a diesel and lost almost all power. Suspect some sort of cam chain failure. Before that, it never threw many codes. Heat and AC always worked like a champ. Chicago winter just had its way with it, and it was one giant pothole away from breaking in half.

Back