What "issues" do you just "live with" on your older vehicle?

2016 Avalon. Drove with a nice crack in the windshield for a year - crack occurred two days after I got my inspection sticker and I figured...if I replace it now I’ll only be putting another one in before my next sticker (I drive a lot of highway and rocks and my windshield go hand in hand). My insurance doesn’t cover windshield replacement. I replaced the windshield the day before my next state inspection, let’s see how long that lasts.

And I currently have connection issues with Bluetooth/dropped calls. I think there’s an update or something for it but I’m nit going to the dealer.

Other than that I’m on top of everything else...tranny services, filters, oil changes, brakes and tires. Took care of a little ding I got on Christmas Day (thank you Santa), $600 bucks.

2016 Avalon. Drove with a nice crack in the windshield for a year - crack occurred two days after I got my inspection sticker and I figured...if I replace it now I’ll only be putting another one in before my next sticker (I drive a lot of highway and rocks and my windshield go hand in hand). My insurance doesn’t cover windshield replacement. I replaced the windshield the day before my next state inspection, let’s see how long that lasts.

And I currently have connection issues with Bluetooth/dropped calls. I think there’s an update or something for it but I’m nit going to the dealer.

Other than that I’m on top of everything else...tranny services, filters, oil changes, brakes and tires. Took care of a little ding I got on Christmas Day (thank you Santa), $600 bucks.
My aunt had issues with Bluetooth early on in her '16 Avalon, and the radio would reboot itself. A software update at the dealer fixed it.

My 84 Ford and 84 Chrysler have very worn gear boxes. You kinda just go with it and correct accordingly. I do have new ones if I can find the time to change it.

Right side power window goes up and down fine with practically no rattle halfway, but movement not very smooth.
Next one is there seems to be some object inside the lower ac ducts somewhere, whenever i make a turn after the car has "settled", I can hear that object rolling around and come to a stop. I gave up looking for it whatever it is.

Minor cosmetic stuff, minor inconveniences. All my vehicles are mechanically driving great and could go cross country tomorrow if needed without worry. But here's a few items that are little more than a nuisance. Items either unimportant, too much hassle or expense to fix, or not urgent but will be addressed time permitting.

* Two have a bewildering lack of center consoles or useful cup holders. I find such a design odd and sometimes annoying.
* A window doesn't roll down so it stays up.
* Two have minor tears in the leather seats. A small patch would fix them, and I should get around to doing that.
* Uncomfortable seat with poor lumbar, so a nice throwpillow lives there and provides excellent comfort. Just annoying to have to deal with it.
* A few vehicles have areas with paint issues, chips, minor dings, clearcoat coming off in spots, etc. For daily drivers or trucks, mostly irrelevant character. Areas of exposed metal will be repainted.
* Minor missing trim pieces here and there such as the engine cover, or similar irrelevant stuff.

2016 Hyundai Accent with 155k. Creaks like an old wooden pirate ship in the winter. Been doing it since 60k. Had everything checked out multiple times and nothing found. Car still rides great and can take hairpin cloverleafs at 50mph so as far as I can tell it's mechanically irrelevant.

Motor/transmission mounts are definitely getting worn. Eventually they will probably need replacing but I'm not in a hurry to do so.

Cheap Primewell tires are extremely loud and balance pretty poorly, but they take severe abuse with all the potholes around here and I drive so many miles I need a tire I can tear up and replace yearly without breaking the bank.

Brakes make all kinds of strange noises, again, nothing found and they will stop on a dime so don't care.

Car is bone stock and extremely boring inside, and strangely, I like it that way.

Last edited:
2005 Silverado with 210k miles, 9250 hours...dead speedometer and volts gauge (I use torque pro instead with other helpful info displayed), headliner falling down a little (helps block the sun in my eyes), broken door handle on the drivers rear extended cab door...gear display is burned out so you only see it at night....and it needs an updated valve cover because it fills my catch can with oil in 100 miles of driving (1 day now). Internal PCV baffle issue, a known problem. I can put up with all those problems except the last one. It's getting fixed soon.

2010 Mazda 3 with 85K miles...

A/C compressor is bad... Air Bag Harness has a short and requires a new harness.

Given this is on our winter beater / dog park car, it's not worth dropping ~$2,000+ to get these fixed.

2006 Honda Accord 2.4l AT. Car Is kinda new to me. Hesitation at throttle tip-in. Feathering the throttle seems to fix that. Headliner needs replaced (spent the first 15 years in hot Florida and has black leather interior). Cruise power switch won't stay engaged but a tiny piece of rubber gasket stuffed into the gap around the main switch fixed that. It will give the front brakes attention after I do my friend's brakes and my son's brakes. It seems the rotors are a bit warped. I'm not surprised based on how tight the lugnuts were. It's a nice example of a 15 year old car that gets about double the MPGs of my Ridgeline so I'll fix the have-to stuff and use it as a commuter.

2003 Volvo S60. Broken driver seat heating element and several rims have scrapes/scratches after curbing. Glovebox damper broken. Right mirror heating don`t work + general wear and tear here and there.

2016 Hyundai Accent with 155k. Creaks like an old wooden pirate ship in the winter. Been doing it since 60k. Had everything checked out multiple times and nothing found. Car still rides great and can take hairpin cloverleafs at 50mph so as far as I can tell it's mechanically irrelevant.

Motor/transmission mounts are definitely getting worn. Eventually they will probably need replacing but I'm not in a hurry to do so.

Cheap Primewell tires are extremely loud and balance pretty poorly, but they take severe abuse with all the potholes around here and I drive so many miles I need a tire I can tear up and replace yearly without breaking the bank.

Brakes make all kinds of strange noises, again, nothing found and they will stop on a dime so don't care.

Car is bone stock and extremely boring inside, and strangely, I like it that way.
You put some serious miles on that thing in a short amount of time, don’t you Uber or ride share or something? I drove through Boston three weeks ago, I absolutely HATE driving in Boston. Conversely I drove through Buffalo and Cleveland this week...both pieces of cake. If you can drive in Boston you can drive anywhere...but it beats the tar out of a car. Suspension galore. If your car is creaking in the winter I’d look at ball joints, sway bar bushings and links. They can certainly creak in the winter when you start getting up over 100k. Especially those sway bar bushings, they can be tricky depending on humidity/cold/lack of humidity.

Dead TPM sensor that causes light on dash to always be illuminated, small rust spots, damaged door gasket. Two cars with combined age of 35 years - can't keep 'em perfect forever.

2010 Civic
Very slow power steering leak from the rack from what I can tell. Ive added fluid for 6 years or so instead of installing a new rack.
Tpms light has been on for a few years due to a dead battery, I just check the pressure every weekend and ignore the light.

Back