What is your preferred whisky/whiskey?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whisk(e)y love is SO subjective. These are some of mine, but YMMV and that is GOOD.

American: George Dickel No. 12 (Texas - home - Witherspoon)
Irish: Powers Gold Label
Scotch: Ardbeg Ten
Japanese: Suntory Toki
Indian: Paul John Brilliance
Canadian: Crown Royal Hand Select Barrel

Taste IS a very personal thing and my tastes & ability to express what I'm tasting aren't very refined. I have a BIL who is quite the self-proclaimed bourbon expert and he'll tell you how he can taste all these different things...to me it's generally either hot/spicy or sweet...I catch more interesting smells than tastes...some Evan Williams products smell like sea salt & caramel ice cream, for instance.

One whiskey I simply don't care for is George Dickel No.12...tastes & smells like the oily fake butter they use on popcorn at movie theaters...Of course YMMV and that's what makes the whole thing interesting.

I have enjoyed some White Dog liquor, tastes and smells more like gin than aged bourbon, it's almost fruity. New Riff Distilling in beautiful Newport KY makes some that's outstanding. One is rye-mashbill based, the other is corn-based. There's a tiny microdistillery I can see from the place where I work called North Side Distilling, I need to try their White Dog too.

This whole subject is making me thirsty.

I haven't seen Weller 12YO on the shelves for a couple of years, but some referred to it as the poor man's Pappy Van Winkle. Both are wheated bourbons made at the Buffalo Trace distillery. If you are a fan of the style (wheaters tend to have less "bite") other examples are Larceny and Rebel Yell.

For something a little different and very nice try Bernheim Wheat Whiskey.

Glad to know there is another hoarder here.
I've got 32 bottles on my shelf.
I was at Tokyo Narita's Duty Free Shop. The Yamazaki 18 is selling for Yen 50,000/750 ml.

Whisk(e)y, the juice of the barley, I was never much of a spirits drinker. I drank it neat in the belief it was mixers that hung you over. Then my little brother gave me a scotch on the rocks. Kowabunga! So many Scotches, and Irish and bourbons and ryes and blends. The rate I go through a bottle is 1 a day for 4-5 days. Rest of yr, maybe 3 drinks in all. 2 drinks or so takes up too much time. At that rate I don't have time to develop favorites. 12 yr old anything is great stuff for a cabin in Adirondacks. 16 yrs and up is a waste.

#1 son chose to marry where they met. Ireland. Part of boy's night out was a tour of Jameson's. I sat in a chair made out of whiskey barrel made in 1793. Once again, the 12 yr old appealed the most. the 16, 18 and 24 yr old sniffs weren't better, just different.
grin2.gif

Last edited:
The ones I have on the shelf right now are:

Aberlour A’Bunadh
Glendronach 15 Revival
Glenlivet Nadurra
Glenlivet 15
Macallan 12

Im more of a fan of the sherry casks.

I had a second bottle of Herman Marshall Bourbon recently. It reminded me to mention it. It is a really nice product due to the fact that is uses no "small grain" (i.e. rye or wheat). It has a mash bill of 77% corn and 23% malted barley. It has a flavor that's about halfway between a rounded bourbon and a Speyside scotch. It is most definitely worth trying, if you can find it. It is distilled in Garland, TX and not available everywhere. Local price for me is $37/bottle. It is 46% ABV (92 proof).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back