What is your longest OCI?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: azsynthetic
I have currently went past my intended 30K OCI on my GOLF TDI. The first 20K UOA is in the other forum and I should be pulling a sample as soon as I can find some time. It might be around 32-33K before I have a chance. If the UOA looks good I might let it go to 40K due to the holiday/football/skiing/hunting seasons.

What oil? Ams SSO? Must be good stuff. How many miles on the engine?

A blend of Liqui Moly Longtime Hightech 5W30 and Red Lines 30WT race oil. The 20K UOA looks fine if not excellent so I let it go to 30K, which is now almost 31K. Car is now at 221K miles.

Last edited:
Fancy synthetics, and oil filters don't get today's cars from 70k or so to 200k or so, what does is oil changes.. an modern approved oil, and filter for your engine will do the same thing..

As for my OCI's I run 10k on conventional, then repeat that on the very same filter for another 10k

I run around 13K on synthetic, however I have ran between 15k-16k using one of the extended drain oils, that being Edge, and M1 EP.. not type, not talk, I do extract what I think is the most value out of my oil purchase without due harm to my engine be that harm sludge, wear, etc etc.. also ZERO makeup oil is used during any of these times between changes.

Have done 10K oci with m1 for 10 years. Went 15K a couple years back on wife's caravan. About 18 month interval.

I changed a leaky valve cover gasket last year and it looked pretty clean under there.

100_8797.jpg

100_8799.jpg

I use to be in the 3K OCI crowd....religiously. Then I learned about this Mobil 1 stuff and extended out to 5k miles. Since then, I have been adhering to 5k OCI's.....mainly because of warranty requirements, but also because of driving habits (hard on the throttle and frequent, short trips, hard mountain driving).

Shortly, my daughters Toyota Yaris will be out of warranty and I plan to move that little car to 12 month OCI's (probably 12k miles). Which oil???.....that is the $10,000 dollar question. I am leaning toward Castrol Edge 5w30 after studying a lot of OCI's, but gotta tell everyone that PU is very, very impressive as well. If I go the PU direction, I will pour in 5w20.

Still today, I am in the 5k Crowd. I let VW do the oil changes in my Passat at the 10K mark....but I do GC inbetween at 5k. The 2.0 Turbos are really hard on oil.

Off topic, as this thread asks about gas engines.....
But this new VW Touareg TDI....might change me. With about a 9 quart sump and excellent Castrol SLX oil....I will probably let it go 10k miles.

Went 12000 on the Wrangler, with Amsoil 5w30 and Pure One filter.

According to the UOA, could probably have gone several thousand further.

It has never used a drop of oil, but started at around 8000, so backed off the OCI to 6-7000. Where we live it's at least 20 easy miles to go anywhere.

On the GC, 8000 was the max on Amsoil 10w30 with Pure One. Developed a lifter tick at about 89k; usual sign of wear on this engine, but never had it on previous 4 liters. Reduced OCI back to 5000 using 0w30 and lifter tick has gone away for the most part.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last year I went 53,000 miles before changing the oil. The vehicle is a 1999 Dodge Grand Caravan 3.8 litre motor. It had 350K on it at the time I started this super long oil change. The engine also has a Motor Guard bypass on it.

At the start of this oil change, back on Feb 15 2008, I used Amsoil 10-30. As the miles went on, I heard about Pennzoil Platinum so about every 5-7K I would change out the TP in the bypass and top it off with the PP. I would burn about one quart every 5K so each time I changed the TP I would end up adding 2 quarts. The non bypass filter was the Amsoil EAO which stayed on for the whole 53K.

When I checked the oil when the engine was hot, it looked almost clear but when it was cold it looked dark. I did an oil analysis at 53K and the oil was still good. I have that around here somewhere but I have no idea how to post it here. The TBN was still good and I probably could have gone on like this for as long as I wanted but for some reason (not sure why) I decided to change it.

I'm currently doing a slow flush with MMO and I have to say I'm surprised that this seems to have breathed a little life into the engine.

Today I will do another change and fill it with PU. How long this will stay in, I don't know, but with a bypass, I'm thinking that oil can last almost indefinitely provided the TP is changed out every 5K and new oil added.

The vehicle now has 416,000 miles on it and it's still running just fine. Original tranny too! Yup, 416K! Probably a world record for a Chrysler tranny.

Oh, I have to thank everyone on this forum for all of the great info. I'm sure it has helped me to make my beloved Caravan run better, last longer and it's been fun on top of all of that.

I went 13k+ on a mod V8 in an F-150 on PP. The UOA is on the board. The report looked fine but it took something like 2qts make-up oil.

Originally Posted By: biron
Last year I went 53,000 miles before changing the oil. The vehicle is a 1999 Dodge Grand Caravan 3.8 litre motor. It had 350K on it at the time I started this super long oil change. The engine also has a Motor Guard bypass on it.

At the start of this oil change, back on Feb 15 2008, I used Amsoil 10-30. As the miles went on, I heard about Pennzoil Platinum so about every 5-7K I would change out the TP in the bypass and top it off with the PP. I would burn about one quart every 5K so each time I changed the TP I would end up adding 2 quarts. The non bypass filter was the Amsoil EAO which stayed on for the whole 53K.
Do you know how many quarts total were added during that time?

Originally Posted By: tig1
You said the last 3 years. Well I have been doing 10K OCIs for 32 years.

Have you posted any UOA? I can't seem to search for any of your Threads.

I probably added about 15-18 quarts...didn't really keep track. I like that I never had to crawl underneath the van and then take the used oil to be recycled, I would just change out the TP and add the new oil and be down the road.

Originally Posted By: Artem

I did two UOAs two years ago, but didn't post them. I did one on the Focus when I used M1 5-30EP. It was fine.

Originally Posted By: Artem

I did two UOAs two years ago, but didn't post them. I did one on the Focus when I used M1 5-30EP. It was fine.
Brother, you've got a serious case of missing-the-point-itis! You don't do a UOA to see how your ride is doing. You do it to post on BITOG! Please seek out a mentor to help get back on the wagon with your vehicular priorities.

lol.gif

The vehicle now has 416,000 miles on it and it's still running just fine. Original tranny too! Yup, 416K! Probably a world record for a Chrysler tranny.

Sounds like a great candidate for the Allpar 200000 mile club!!

Originally Posted By: fredjacksonsan

Sounds like a great candidate for the Allpar 200000 mile club!!
8 to 10 oci,,hope my lead sled does as well.

Hi fredjackson and courierdriver, I'm not sure how you do those replies with the boxes inside of the reply but I'll see if this works.

Yes, I wanted to put this on the Allpar site as I am the orriginal owner and can provide docs to prove the insane amount of miles on this van. I had it in to the dealer that I purchased it at when it had 275 on it and they couldn't believe it still hadn't needed a tranny. Back then I was hoping to get to 300K but then I passed that so now I'm thinking that perhaps, just maybe, I could go 500K on the original tranny.

I kinda doubt it but if the rest of the van doesn't rust out around it, I just might make it.

Again, thanks to all you guys, I have learned so much just by reading everything on this site. Before I had found this website I had used Amsoil or Mobil 1 on the van since new but at about 200K I discovered this website, so everyone here has my thanks for helping me become completely insane about oil. It's been a lot of fun. Hopefully I can impart some wisdom in return.

While early 41TE (A604) trannies had some issues, they did fix most of them later on. Which leaves them like most Chrysler trannies, simply maintenance hungry. Keep the fluid fresh and cool, and it'll last. Otherwise, it won't.

I did run a 180 thermostat since about 5K and it came with the towing package, so that and along with lots of 20-30K tranny pan drops and the every 100K full flush of trans fluid. I guess all that has paid off. Cross fingers for another 84K to 500K!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back